Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How the heck to get fast?
Quote | Reply
I've absorbed a lot, and I mean a lot, of info over recent months (pointing toward my first triathlon 6/05).

One thing I just haven't been able to figure out, though, is how you get fast(er). I keep reading various takes ranging from formal work like Friel's to the informal and diverse posts here on ST. A frequent theme is that something like 16 weeks is a lot of time to train for a half-IM if you have a decent base. Any more than that and you may burn out.

Well, how do you ever get a lot faster if you limit your more intense work to just a few months of the year? I spent a good hunk of the last year at low/moderate intensity on the bike, and the (speed) gains game to an absolute grinding halt rather quickly. Sure, endurance improved, but my hour TT remained more/less unchanged. I can't imagine that I could make an impressive improvement with only a few months of higher intensity. No doubt periodization is the right way to go about it, but why not do 3 four month periods rather than just one or two of them?

I have 6.5 months, and I feel like I should be doing 2x20s on the bike at a tick under hour TT power right now!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: How the heck to get fast? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they mean 16 weeks of specific training for the event.

Now is probably not the time of year to do intensity depending on your A race, but you definitely need to mix in some intervals into you program.

Train slow - go slow
Quote Reply
Re: How the heck to get fast? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One thing I just haven't been able to figure out, though, is how you get fast(er).

Yes, an excellent question. How to get fast if you are not already. Well, here is one mode of thought. The world around you is but an external holographic representation of your internal Self. What this means is, anything you see on Earth or in the Universe at large is part of your true nature. That being so, I think one of the first basic questions to ask is, "What animals shall I model myself after to attain my goal of being fast?"

When I get in a funkified mood like I'm in now, I feel that the mountain lion, the cobra, and the giant sea tortoise combine to make an incredible athlete. The mountain lion is ruthless, yet graceful, and does not let itself be seen until it's ready to strike it's prey. The cobra moves more graceful than the mountain lion even, as it is almost always linked to the feminine energy of the Earth. The men of antiquity have recognized that energy moves through the human spine (think kundalini) much the way it does when a cobra lifts the head and front part of it's body off the ground, preparing to strike; its balance is unmatched. The giant sea tortoise, living beyond a century and a half, spends much of its time looking within. (Hell, they look like Yoda too, so they must be pretty damn insightful.)

Now, you just have to "be the animal" in the appropriate situations. Take some time and meditate on the animal kingdom, I think you'll find they have the potential to be great guides in your noble quest to project your light over the earth and seas faster then your fellow men. Or if you are too busy for that, I'll do it for you and you can pay me a bunch of money to compose the most unconventional training program you've ever seen. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: How the heck to get fast? [Joe Wiley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe Bonness: "If you want to race fast, you have to train fast."

...or you could try the cobra/tortoise thing. That might work, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, was that a sacrastic rip on Mark Allen or do you have a screw loose?
Quote Reply
Re: How the heck to get fast? [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SHHH! You might upset his Shaman.
Quote Reply
Re: How the heck to get fast? [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dude, was that a sacrastic rip on Mark Allen or do you have a screw loose?

Is that my only two options?

I know of Mark Allen, but don't know what he's all about. Do tell how this would be a sarcastic or satirical rip on him.
Last edited by: Joe Wiley: Nov 6, 04 21:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's your answer, Slick.
Quote Reply