Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How often do you train with others?
Quote | Reply
As you look at the total volume you put into swimming, biking and running during a week, how much of your volume (percentage) is done with training partners?

Let's assume you are in the middle of your season.

Do you wish you did more volume with training partners, or less?
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you train with others? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim - 100% - I swim with a masters program.
Bike - 50% - long rides on weekends only
Run - 5% - almost always alone but there's the occasional run to make it not quite 0%.

That's about the right mix for me.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I can, but thats only like 2% of the time. Having no tri friends sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zero %.

Unless you count the strange denizens in the lap lane next to me? Or my races?

My wife and I used to run together daily and that was cool since she's always been fast and motivating... but then kids came along and that can't happen anymore. Additionally, with a family, it's hard to plan group anything as my daily training times fluctuate day by day due to scheduling with family, work and weather.

Quote | Reply
Never. Tri is a completely solo endeavor for me....and that's why I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming 75%
Cycling 50%
Running 25%
Weight training 10%

The older you get (I'm 55) it is harder to find compatible training partners. They are either too fast or too slow, or your old training mates are no longer training. Injured, burned out or just weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim: 90 pct swim with a buddy
bike: alone
run: alone

id prefer to train 80% or more with someone as its so much easier to push yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run 50%
Swim 10%
Bike 50%

Agreed is sucks not having anyone locally to train with! I have one steady training partner but often time work schedules are different.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you train with others? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Swim - 100% - I swim with a masters program.
Bike - 50% - long rides on weekends only
Run - 5% - almost always alone but there's the occasional run to make it not quite 0%.

That's about the right mix for me.

This is very close to how I do it.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you train with others? [undertheradar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
undertheradar wrote:

Truth, though I swim with masters as well; mostly I try to ignore everyone else in the pool and focus on the workout. Thus, my one day a week of flying solo in the water is therapy. So 66.7 percent of swimming, 0 percent of cycling and running with others.

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim 100% of the time. Masters group
Cycling 80% of the time. I am on a cycling team and train with them most of the time. The only time I train on my own is when I am on my TT bike, which is once a week in the summer.
Running 80% of the time. There is a group of x college runners that I do most of my runs with. There are about 20 of us so most of the time I can find someone to run with.

I like to train with single sport athletes whenever possible. I have one tri friend that I train with but he is a Cat 1 cyclist and a former D1 runner so I get the best of both worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you train with others? [jayhawker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayhawker wrote:
Zero %.

x2. Always train alone and swim in my community pool, alone. I'd rather train at my own pace, at my own convenience, running/riding the routes that I like. Solo is the only way I'm going to get all that.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
retired and live out in the country--very rural/farming

Swim--0% (Endless Pool)
Bike--0% rural country roads
Run--0% same
Gym--0% (built a gym in one of my barns)

i am in a rut of my own/long planning and i love it

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you train with others? [undertheradar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
undertheradar wrote:

x2. My private time for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: <10%; I swim with a youth team 2-3 times per week supplementary to my regular workouts; so it's still like I'm swimming alone as the oldest kids are still 10+ years younger than me.
Bike: <1%
Run: <1%

It used to be slightly more when I lived in a community that a fair deal of my friends were triathletes of similar ability and similar training plans/strategies; especially for pool workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Infrequently. If I train with someone it will be in the pool, but that's rare.

I'm pathologically introverted and like my training to be quiet, alone, people-free time. (for the most part)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 10% of the time on the bike an run and onlywhen I allow others to "hang" with me and then they are always in my draft :0)

Quote | Reply
Always train alone and swim in my community pool, alone. I'd rather train at my own pace, at my own convenience, running/riding the routes that I like. Solo is the only way I'm going to get all that.
--------------------------
x3

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride or run with others maybe 5% of the time. I swim with others that happen to be at the pool or lake that day. I have an odd schedule so that is a limiting factor for group rides or runs. I have enough people asking to train with me that I could probably start a new tri club.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - 75% - Swim with a local group 3x per week and try to do 2 additional by myself.
Bike - 20% - Try to ride long with others. If I had someone who could push me then I'd ride with them.
Run - 10% - Track workouts are normally done with a friend. Everything else is solo except a few recovery runs with the wife.

Quote | Reply
0%, as I truly enjoy training alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim - 100% w/masters group
bike - never, never want to either
run - maybe 20%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do 100% of my training with others...though they are merely voices in my head during the SBR. Some of the lazy ones tell me to stop what I am doing and grab a beer, the more motivated of the bunch yells "pussy" when I finish my workout, it's a mixed bunch. And yes, I talk to myself while riding alone in the basement on my trainer...

Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:

The older you get (I'm 55) it is harder to find compatible training partners. They are either too fast or too slow, or your old training mates are no longer training. Injured, burned out or just weird.

Agreed. Also, training with others usually wastes MY time. I can get more done by just getting out the door when I need to as opposed to fixing their flat, listening to their stories, waiting on them to change. If it's the right chemistry and I'm getting good training, then it's a pleasure, but 9/10, it's a waste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weights: 100%
cycling varies. Solo at home on the rollers, 100% with others when at the track. 50% for road rides.

No swim. No run.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next