Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much time am I giving up on an Ironman bike position during a Time Trial?
Quote | Reply
My Shiv is set up to be a mix of comfort and aero for IM distance races. It's very comfortable and much more comfortable to be in the extensions than on the horns, so I rarely rise up during a race.

It struck me that this might not be ideal for TTs where comfort isn't the main concern given that you're pedaling for less than an hour and not 4.5-5. Especially after looking at photos of my position versus the top people at a local 40k TT, mine was good but their backs were flatter.

My position is good, back is generally flat, but I think it's a little more upright than it could be if the race was shorter.

I am riding with one spacer on the stem, which I think is 2cm, and then a few cm of spacers under the pads. So maybe it's 5cm higher than it could be if totally slammed. A couple pics at the bottom to reference the slammed stem versus with one spacer, like I have.

How much time/watts/speed am I giving up with the higher position over 40k?

Slammed:

One Spacer:

Quote Reply
Re: How much time am I giving up on an Ironman bike position during a Time Trial? [art] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am of the opinion that there should not be all that much difference in drop between the two positions. Often no difference. Cockpit distance is generally a far greater driver of comfort, while aerobar drop is usually given too much significance in that regard. When determing aerobar drop, the majority of athletes will reach their limit of power & digestion before they reach their limit of comfort. Plenty of them are mentally uncomfortable with dropping the front end a bunch of cm's in a fitting, but we can work with that.

Assuming all other comfort and crank length issues are attended too, most of us can ride fairly low, or more precisely, at appropriate hip angles. Dont get caught up in thinking that long course, short course, time trials and whatnot are fundamentally different position questions. They arent.

You could be giving up as much as 1 mph IF you could drop those 5cm sustainably. Others may be quick to mention that the current higher position could be faster as well, so there's that.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jun 26, 16 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: How much time am I giving up on an Ironman bike position during a Time Trial? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
I am of the opinion that there should not be all that much difference in drop between the two positions. Often no difference. Cockpit distance is generally a far greater driver of comfort, while aerobar drop is usually given too much significance in that regard. When determing aerobar drop, the majority of athletes will reach their limit of power & digestion before they reach their limit of comfort. Plenty of them are mentally uncomfortable with dropping the front end a bunch of cm's in a fitting, but we can work with that.

Assuming all other comfort and crank length issues are attended too, most of us can ride fairly low, or more precisely, at appropriate hip angles. Dont get caught up in thinking that long course, short course, time trials and whatnot are fundamentally different position questions. They arent.

You sound like my fitter. Makes sense to me. You don't have to hurt to be aero.
Quote Reply
Re: How much time am I giving up on an Ironman bike position during a Time Trial? [art] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^
|

Also it's impossible to do an eyeball wind tunnel just looking at a headset.
Quote Reply
Re: How much time am I giving up on an Ironman bike position during a Time Trial? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:

You could be giving up as much as 1 mph IF you could drop those 5cm sustainably. Others may be quick to mention that the current higher position could be faster as well, so there's that.

Haha, alright, thanks! You're the person who put me in this position, so I guess I can defer to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, now that is funny. Don't know your name still, but funny. BTW, I just moved to Atlanta, but email and phone are the same if you need any follow up discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much time/watts/speed am I giving up with the higher position over 40k?

Absolutely no way to tell. Rule of thumb is that reducing frontal area is usually good. Narrow and low. You need to experiment. Do you have a PM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am of the opinion that there should not be all that much difference in drop between the two positions

This ^^^^^

If your bike is set up with the larger spacer you may be able to remove that pedestal the pads to the same position and that should/could/might make it a bit more aero.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How much time am I giving up on an Ironman bike position during a Time Trial? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is being "slammed" so much less comfortable than being 35mm higher? Other than a little more neck soreness, I really don't find comfort being any different. What's your limiting factor in comfort? I think the ideal set-up on a Speed Concept, is finding a stack that's tolerable, then adding the spacer under the pad wings for IM and most training, then removing it for 70.3 and shorter races.

I just picked up a 9 series, and the shop didn't have a low-far stem in stock to match my position I had on my Gen 1 7 series, so I'm riding it for now 35mm higher? Is it more comfortable. Not really. My neck is a little less sore after long rides, but my shoulder, back, core etc. are the same.

Let be honest here, do you want to ride the "comfort concept" or the "speed concept"?

The better question, is are you actually faster, by going lower? Don't assume yes. I know for myself, that I am based on power data and bike splits from before and after I went another step lower last winter. But if going lower means you can't tuck your head as tight, or stay aero as long, you might not be.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply