Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How much should I get paid at the LBS?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I'm applying to work part-time on the sales side of my local bike shop and I'm wondering what sort of hourly wage I should ask for.

The shop is fairly high end, selling Litespeed, Bianchi, Serotta, Giant, Colnago, and a host of others. I'm looking to get a little extra dough out of this situation, but more importantly, a lot of knowledge. I've been riding long enough to know that I know a little and want to know a lot more. I haven't ever competed in bike racing but have done several triathlons, including 3 IMs.

How much should I ask for?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How much should I get paid at the LBS? [Merve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but here's a little more info about myself.

I'm 27, graduated from Princeton University with a degree in English five years ago, and also from Oxford University with a degree in Social Administration four years ago. I worked for a magazine for two years and am currently employed as a rowing coach at Princeton; this will be my third year in the position.

So obviously, I'm new to the bike biz, but I'm not a high-schooler who would bag groceries if I don't get this part-time job. (Nothing against high schoolers bagging groceries, I've been there.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is our wage scale at Bikesport:

- I know nothing about bikes but am capable of getting coffee, operating a broom, taking out trash and I laugh at Tom's jokes and save my derogatory comments about him and his weirdness for when he isn't around: $8.00 per hour.

- I can assemble simple bikes such as comfort bikes with a high degree of competency, know when to keep my mouth shut and don't smell bad. I can also answer the phone without embarrasssing the other employees or frightening customers: $9.00 per hour and some good discounts.

- I am learning about road and triathlon bikes and havve some experience in the sport. I am quitting am regular job to work here and I have serious doubts about this Tom guy and don't mine voicing them to him: $10.00 per hour with full access to any and all discounts.

- Tom is a useless, self-important figurhead with serious issues I have counseled him on for years but he refuses to listen. I have given up on him. The business, however, is good and I basically run the day to day operations. I can fit bikes and have formal fitting instruction. I have competed as a bicycle racer, triathlete and know the sport. I attend the local events and have a high degree of familiarity with events around the world and their specific characteristics. I take initiative for things, value customer service, am a good communicator orally and in writing and understand that customers and maintaining and advancing our standards is the key to our continued success. This is what I do for a living. I am serious about doing it as well as I can. $14.00 per hour + benefits such as travel expenses to events, entry fees and whatever the hell I can carry out of the store for my own personal use up to and including a bike or two every year. Overtime too, lots of overtime. And I expect a hefty 5 figure Christmas bonus when possible.

I steer the boat when Tom is having relationship issues (always until this last chick dumped him) or outside of the U.S. (also pretty common). I can do all of the above but am also willing to take responsibility for Tom's many errors. When Tom returns from one of his little junkets or freak-outs I am the only one with the balls to tell him what an ass he truly is. He actually listens to me. I am usually right. I don't what the hell he would do without me, and I remind him of it frequently. If I quit, he would be fuct.
$More.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much should I get paid at the LBS? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Tom. You're the man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all my history and technical prowess - and Certs from Barnetts, USCF, and United Bike tech...in a big market I still would not make more than $10-12 an hour - thus a job change (and now I get to bill over $110.00 an hour) - dont make a carrer of it unless you are willing to take a vow of poverty.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: How much should I get paid at the LBS? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you guys pay 8bucks an hour? sweet (ok...i suppose stuff is still expensive down there, but up here in the great white north, thats like 14 bucks an hour!!!)

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
another annoying type A.... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're full of it. $110/hour, twin turbo, all these fancy bikes yada yada yada. You probably make 30k/year live in a disgusting one room apartment.
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [Steamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry coach, Record9 is the real McCoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't it about time you headed to Law School or something?

'77
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you looking at Kopp's? Charlie is awesome. Ive been thinking about helping out there for years.

If you go through with it, Id love to hear a follow-up!

Ziva
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [Steamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think you're full of it. $110/hour, twin turbo, all these fancy bikes yada yada yada. You probably make 30k/year live in a disgusting one room apartment.

Wow...untrusting little fellow eh? Your comments hardly justify a reply...However, I just dont feel anyone here should have to prove anything to an obviously gelous kid...this help you with the beleif of a bike? (yeah, I know...I look fat there)

Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Steamer's defense, I think he was stunned that anyone would actually post their salary. There are certain things that polite people do not talk about in public.
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didnt post my salary, I am making a point that if you want to work at an LBS you will be shal we say - in a lower tax level...I did say that I bill at $110.00 an hour, that is akin to a lawyer stating he bills $250.00 an hour...I did not say how many hours a year I bill. I will say that people nation wide who do what I do average $90-120k a year. That is not the same as posting my W2 or being smug about it. Many people on this site as I have learned are young. I spent many years of my life in IBD's working for a poverty wage and wish I had left that industry sooner. Just something for the young people to think about - in this economy you are better off working AND going to school or knowing that your lifes work is not in an LBS (unless you plan to own it one day)

Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see john and Steamer's point since Record9ti also annoys the crap out of me. Whether it's "French bashing" speeches (Will Lance win his 6th Tour de Freedom?), stories about passing cyclists on his car at more than twice the speed limit or mentioning his earnings, Record9ti comes through as... yeah, another annoying type A personality! I was actually happy when he told us a woman smashed into his car, that cyclist on the highway was vindicated!

And what does that picture prove? Just another age grouper with all the right equipment riding in the wrong position.

Anyway, just venting a bit, it's not that I hate the guy or something like that... just annoying.

Paulo

PS - What's wrong with <30k/year? I RESENT THAT! ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geez people! I think some of us are a little too emotionally invested in the internet. I can tell you that I'm the Pope. I could probably even come up with a picture of me in a Pope outfit, in the Pope-mobile, with millions around me. I can guarantee you there would be two things absolutely true about this: 1) you're dumb if you believe me just because I typed it on the internet, and 2) you're even dumber if you let what some stranger types bother you.

Now, I'm not calling Record9Ti a liar- just making a point. Let's get a grip of ourselves here. IT'S A CHAT FORUM PEOPLE! Can't we all just get along and talk tri stuff?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a shame that the fun jobs that we would really enjoy don't usually pay much money, so we end up doing things that we enjoy less but for more money. Years ago I was offered a dream job as a boat captain/dive instuctor in the Caribbean. Would have paid $1000. per month plus a free room. I was making a lot more doing something I enjoyed a lot less so didn't take it. Still kick myself for not doing so.

You have a good amount of education but ask yourself what relevancy is it to a bike shop? If you were a bicycle mechanic for example, then you would likely have more negotiating power. Do you have any business management skills or sales experience? It sounds like it's a great job for you to learn things but you have to approach any salary negotiation with the attitude that you must demonstrate to the shop owner why he needs you and why you're worth that much to the shop. This bike shop is a business and in any business profit is the bottom line or they won't be there very long. They can't afford to pay anybody a high salary unless there is a return in it for them.

Right now I'd be happy to take the job with them at whatever they are willing to offer you. Get your foot in the door first. Once you're inside and you can prove to them how valuable you are to the shop, then it's time to talk about a pay raise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I see john and Steamer's point since Record9ti also annoys the crap out of me. Whether it's "French bashing" speeches (Will Lance win his 6th Tour de Freedom?), stories about passing cyclists on his car at more than twice the speed limit or mentioning his earnings, Record9ti comes through as... yeah, another annoying type A personality! I was actually happy when he told us a woman smashed into his car, that cyclist on the highway was vindicated!

And what does that picture prove? Just another age grouper with all the right equipment riding in the wrong position.

Anyway, just venting a bit, it's not that I hate the guy or something like that... just annoying.

Paulo

PS - What's wrong with <30k/year? I RESENT THAT! ;-)

Did you have to go to the MENSA meeting to form that post? Ttalk about starting shit...that is pathetic. Type A is right, I am type A as most of us are here (or we would not be doing IM). However thinking that someone getting into a traffic accident as a positive thing is quite sophomoric and pathetic on your part. the fact that you would get any level of satisfaction out of that is quite sick and quite an indication that you suffer from some sort of mental condition. The fact is the woman who hit me is in the hospital and had surgury for her injuries...why suffers there? Her, not I. She hit my car, she needed surgury and is inpatient, her insurance will go up, she will be paying for a long time - and her insurance will buy me a new car...who suffers? Not me.

Wrong position? Yup - climbing a hill at IMLP...sure not aero...

Feel free to vent, this is the internet and it is quite easy here. Maybe if we are ever at the same venue some time we can get together, I will buy you lunch. See, the thing about the internet is that you cant tell tone or tense most of the time. My tone is 99% of the time joking (all but France who we should take over and dontate to Germany).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read your post with a huge grin on my face, especially the part on how I "suffer from some sort of mental condition". Loved it :-) "sophomoric and pathetic" were close favorites, especially since I just said you were annoying...

Anyway, what wiped the grin off was you mentioning the driver involved in the accident was injured. That is no joking matter and now I sympatize with her even more.

And of course I'll take you up on that lunch, I'm pretty sure in person you won't be half as annoying as in here... wait, let's make it one tenth... LOL

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deal...but I think I may be MORE annoying in person....next year I have Panama City, Blue Devil, and New Zeland in the plans thus far - thinking Galena (IL), TriShark (IL) and Tin Man (WI) as other sure bets. Only one I am not sure about 100% is New Zeland as March 6th means TONS of indoor winter riding.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
children...stop the bitching...please!!!

"oh wait, he started it" "no he started it" "waaa.....mommy...."

shit..you are people are supposed to be grown ups...!

who gives a rat's ass about what you do for a living? as my coach once said "i do not define my self worth by what i do for renumeration" (hes a surgeon). do something you enjoy? isnt that the point? as cerveloguy said, he regrets not taking that job scuba diving, instead of chiro. Chiro pays more; yeah, but.....

im currently debating turning down medical school for something related to sports...would be a massive loss of salary after i graduate...250k+ ==> <50k/year... there are other things in life than money...

Record9 is legit...yeah, he can be somewhat of a prick at times, and i dont agree with the whole antifrench setiment, but he's also walked the walk (IM) in regards to this sport, and i will believe him when he claims he has the certifications that he does (why lie?)... he was making a point, a bit smug, yes... but the point came across... why come back with some smart ass response to try cut him down even further?

oh well...i guess some people never grow up...if only you kids would learn ;) yeesh...!!!

-kevin

Quote Reply
9 is the man. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Record9ti is my boy. He is a brother in good standing with the Bad Brain Society that I myself just joined. He speaks truths and is fun. Woman troubles also make him dear to my heart. He turns water into wine. He just hired me into his company at a nice salary.

From now on any troubles with Record go through me.

Don't hate the player...hate the game.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [Young_Ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and i will believe him when he claims he has the certifications that he does (why lie?)...

LOL - nothing like taking a giant leap of faith eh? You can rertty much get (MCSE, ASE, CCDA) certs out of a cracker jack box. :) Ok maybe a bit harder but not much. Really not that big of a deal. But in the hands of an annoying type A like record9ti I guess it means the fucking world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad to hear about all of your plans to race... it seems like yesterday you were telling us that you were told not to race at all. I am glad to see that you are obviously feeling better.
Quote Reply
Re: 9 is the man. [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cj,

you beat me to that quote...i was going to use it in the puffy thread. :D

steamer, why the bitterness? what's wrong with type A personalities? (i think i happen to be one, and am pretty mellow most of the time)

he made a valid point and all of a sudden you start to flame him? i dont get it....

cj, what do you think, maybe steamer is having women troubles as well?

-kg

Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [Young_Ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could always do sports medicine

1 year fellowship after any residency
Quote Reply

Prev Next