Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone?
Quote | Reply
I have been at the US T&F and CC coaches assn meeting and one of the booths next to me had an "unweighting machine" associated with a treadmill. (If you want one the cost was $75K.) It was capable of unweighting in small increments up to 80% unweighting, without restricting running form.

Anyhow, I got to thinking about their device and came to ask them the question as to how much oxygen consumption went down as unweighting went up. They did not have specific data but were able to say that when they unweighted to 85% this would reduce their HR about 10 beats (150 to 140) for the same treadmill speed.

This suggests to me that a 15% reduction in weight results in an approximate 7.5% increase in running efficiency.

Do you think this would translate to a 7.5% increase in speed?

Do you think this would be a good rule of thumb, that a 10% reduction in weight should result in a 5% improvement in speed?

Would you say that anything more than this would have to come from training effect?

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This suggests to me that a 15% reduction in weight results in an approximate 7.5% increase in running efficiency.
How do you figure that?

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personal experience over the past 5 years has shown me that every 10 pounds of "extra" weight (overweight fat or upper body muscle) gives an automatic 1 minute per mile increase in speed at the same effort and training load. And I have gone up and down this scale multiple times over that time period.

Me at 200 lbs = 9:30 easy and 8:15 5K pace

Me at 190 lbs = 8:30 easy and 7:30 5K pace

Me at 180 lbs = 7:30 easy and 6:30 5K pace

Me at 172 lbs = 7:00 easy and 5:45 5K pace

The latter is my fastest, healthy, most disciplined weight to maintain.
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, other than semi-hourly references ;-) to them in this forum, I've never even seen Power Cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but what are you doing to lose the weight? If you lost 10 pounds by running more or at a higher intensity than that could have at least as much an affect on your pace improvements than just the fact that you lost 10 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
How do you figure that?
HR correlates pretty well with oxygen consumption. If speed remains the same and oxygen consumption drops, efficiency improves.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
How do you figure that?
HR correlates pretty well with oxygen consumption. If speed remains the same and oxygen consumption drops, efficiency improves.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
How do you figure that?
Uh, No.

When the machine reduces the runners weight by 15%, they do less work, hence lower oxygen consumption and lower heart rate.

You should not draw conclusions about efficiency without data that actually measures efficiency...

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
How do you figure that?
Uh, No.

When the machine reduces the runners weight by 15%, they do less work, hence lower oxygen consumption and lower heart rate.

You should not draw conclusions about efficiency without data that actually measures efficiency...
Huh? Perhaps we are defining running efficiency differently. If I can run just as fast while burning less oxygen then I would consider myself more efficient. What would you call it?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Personal experience over the past 5 years has shown me that every 10 pounds of "extra" weight (overweight fat or upper body muscle) gives an automatic 1 minute per mile increase in speed at the same effort and training load. And I have gone up and down this scale multiple times over that time period.

My question goes to the effect of weight alone. Your data has 5 years of running base that is complicating the analysis. I suspect you would be seeing speed improvements over this time even if your weight had been constant. It is not possible to know how much of your improvement is due to weight loss and the 5 years of additional running you did during this period.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

STOP That nonsense!

Don't you know the 'ST Experts' all say that extra weight doesn't make you slower. You will just encourage the clydes to have excuses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
How do you figure that?
Uh, No.

Huh? Perhaps we are defining running efficiency differently. If I can run just as fast while burning less oxygen then I would consider myself more efficient. What would you call it?
I don't think this is the first time you have been confused by the word efficiency.

Efficiency = (energy out) / (energy in)

You can use HR as a proxy for oxygen consumption which will tell you energy in. Energy out is calculated from speed and weight. That $75k treadmill effectively reduces your weight; MEANING, it requires less energy for you to run the same speed.

Also, somewhat related, they don't give world records to people running on moving sidewalks. Why do you think that is?

Erik
Strava
Last edited by: mcdoublee: Dec 17, 08 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Frank:

So be scientific (and I'd be willing to volunteer as a victim...I mean a participant). You lead a study! Set up a study of approximately 10 to 15 men and 10 to 15 women that can stand to loose 10 lbs. Establish a criteria for measuring current speed. Provide the individuals with a protocal to loose 10 lbs that can be duplicated by all 20 to 30 participants. After loosing the 10 lbs., re-test for the determined criteria for measuring speed to determine the improvement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

My question goes to the effect of weight alone. Your data has 5 years of running base that is complicating the analysis. I suspect you would be seeing speed improvements over this time even if your weight had been constant. It is not possible to know how much of your improvement is due to weight loss and the 5 years of additional running you did during this period.

Ok how about this place top 10 in races with 700 - 1000 racers. 5 years later gain 40lbs just about all muscle BUT still doing tri training(so the run base is getting bigger) and am lucky to place in top 30% and run times in Olympic are 15 minutes slower.
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [Cyclingmaniac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Frank:

So be scientific (and I'd be willing to volunteer as a victim...I mean a participant). You lead a study! Set up a study of approximately 10 to 15 men and 10 to 15 women that can stand to loose 10 lbs. Establish a criteria for measuring current speed. Provide the individuals with a protocal to loose 10 lbs that can be duplicated by all 20 to 30 participants. After loosing the 10 lbs., re-test for the determined criteria for measuring speed to determine the improvement.

Still wouldn't be sure to show what is happening as they would still be running so run base is bigger than the year before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
How do you figure that?
Uh, No.

I don't think this is the first time you have been confused by the word efficiency.

Efficiency = (energy in) / (energy out)

You can use HR as a proxy for oxygen consumption which will tell you energy in. Energy out is calculated from speed and weight. That $75k treadmill effectively reduces your weight; MEANING, it requires less energy for you to run the same speed.

Also, somewhat related, they don't give world records to people running on moving sidewalks. Why do you think that is?
How do you calculate "energy out" in a runner? All we have here is energy consumed and speed. I know of no way to calculate work performed by the runner, do you?

If we were to take a car and take 500 lbs out of the trunk and then find out that it takes less gas to go 50 mph than before we say the car has better fuel efficiency even though we don't know exactly how much energy has changed. The engine of the car has not changed but it is now more fuel efficient because of the weight change. If we look at the runner from the point of view of the cardiovascular system (the heart), the capability of the heart has not changed with the weight loss but it now requires less energy to propel the body the same speed. The runner, as is the car, is now more efficient.

So, you don't like the term "efficiency" to describe this change. What word would you use?

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Dec 17, 08 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude I an 5'9" and 168 pnds 39 yearsd old wish I could go 5:45 minute miles for 3.1 miles. Currently best pae has been around 6:45 minutes for 3.1 miles. How many miles a week do you put in to get that time and what is your Average HR after runnung it if you know? Why I want to know is thats kind of my target time for sometime late spring.

Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Hey Frank:

Still wouldn't be sure to show what is happening as they would still be running so run base is bigger than the year before.
Maybe this is a dumb idea, but what about ADDING weight to runners, so that you could keep all of the other variables constant? (Sorta like some of the running commuters on the 100/100 thread have described.)

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well... i'm 32 and 6'2" and 195 and can also put down a 6:45 paced 5k. I would hope that I will increase my speed if I get down 10lbs.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
How do you figure that?
Uh, No.

Efficiency = (energy out) / (energy in)

How do you calculate "energy out" in a runner? All we have here is energy consumed and speed. I know of no way to calculate work performed by the runner, do you?

With physics. The specifics of which, I can't tell you.

Perhaps someone can chime in to explain how to calculate the work or power required to run a given speed. I do not know the answer but also do not think it's too difficult of a problem to get a reasonably close estimate. It is certainly a function of speed and weight. If either increases, the energy required to sustain the speed will increase. If either decrease the amount of energy required will also decrease. Do we at least agree on that?

The truck in your example just unnecessarily complicates matters. Let's just say that it is doing less work and that is why it uses less gas.

I will now go run for a little under 8 miles while attempting to keep my heart rate at precisely 160. When I'm going up hill my speed will decrease, when I go downhill my speed will increase. Will this work? Why? Will my efficiency change as I'm running?

Finally, I edited my last post to correct a typo in the efficiency equation.

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To

The latter is my fastest, healthy, most disciplined weight to maintain.[/reply]
STOP That nonsense!

Don't you know the 'ST Experts' all say that extra weight doesn't make you slower. You will just encourage the clydes to have excuses[/reply]
Actually this will encourage clydes like me who are only a little slower than you to lose that last 20 pounds or so, and then we'll be faster than you.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 lost pound = 2 seconds/mile. That is a nice rule of thumb that people toss around. I am sure its not accurate or ever been tested, but that is what my simple mind uses.
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
well... i'm 32 and 6'2" and 195 and can also put down a 6:45 paced 5k. I would hope that I will increase my speed if I get down 10lbs.
Some research has shown that you could expect a 20 second per mile improvement from your 10 pound weight loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 167 lbs ran slowww... 28:47 8k XC, ave. 50-65 miles/week, next year
at 152 lbs ran 26:31 same mileage feeling much better/easier. No other changes between cross country seasons other than weight loss (due to working in Missouri for a month coaching sports and sweating 24/7, came back was feeling great running, hopped on the scale and wow! I was skinny. So I cut down my bad eating habits and stayed at that weight that season. Now my question is, as a triathlete what weight is most efficient. I know for the run, but the thinness could hurt my swim. If it helps on bike and run, hurts on the swim (swim being least important in my mind for non-drafting events) I'm leaning towards lighter is better.

Ryan Borger - Denver, CO: Realtor. Former pro triathlete/coach. Cancer survivor. podiumproperties.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much running improvement comes from weight loss alone? [rundutch22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could this at all be related to BMI? I think this is a more accurate measurement for different people. Mine's 20. Is that bad? I want to lose like 7 pounds in the New Year.

________________________________________________________________________________
The only one who can tell you "you can't" is you. And you don't have to listen. --Nike
Quote Reply

Prev Next