Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much faster is a one piece trisuit vs a two piece?
Quote | Reply

First from Desert Dude: "if your not testing your just guessing".

With that out of the way, for the middle of the pack triathlete, how much faster is a one piece trisuit over a two piece trisuit over an Ironman distance course?

Thanks.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster is a one piece trisuit vs a two piece? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

With that out of the way, for the middle of the pack triathlete, how much faster is a one piece trisuit over a two piece trisuit over an Ironman distance course?

Thanks.

Negligible, like a lot of things, but I guess when you start adding them to the list, aero helmet, disc wheel, shaved legs etc etc it will start to amount to something.
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster is a one piece trisuit vs a two piece? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
hblake wrote:

Thanks.

Negligible, like a lot of things, but I guess when you start adding them to the list, aero helmet, disc wheel, shaved legs etc etc it will start to amount to something.

It’s not faster in a port o potty I’ll tell you that
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster is a one piece trisuit vs a two piece? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no more than a minute at best, but possibly less than 10s. if you think it makes you faster thats sometimes the only edge you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on how many restroom stops you make.
Tri suit can be faster through T1, nothing to put on but socks and helmet. And sure, it’s aero. But if you’re making multiple pit stops, it takes longer to pull down and put back on. And no, I don’t pee my bike. If you do - personal choice and all - then it’s probably faster than separate top and shorts, and then you can deal with the diaper rash post-race.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster is a one piece trisuit vs a two piece? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If one is asking about speed, they certainly are not interested in stopping to pee. If one has to stop to do the other, then their meal planning the previous day was the issue; not the suit. I also contend the compression that a tight drawstring on 2 piece is the cause of many digestive issues people blame on their race day nutrition. Compress your gut for hours while in aero and see what happens..... One piece allows far more expansion in the gut and far fewer issues as well as just feels fast.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster is a one piece trisuit vs a two piece? [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first tri suit was one where it was a bitch to pee in. you essentially had to unzip the suit and take one arm out to be able to not piss down your leg. I upgraded my tri suit to one where I can unzip almost like a jersey and I can pull the front down to pee... much much faster.

I also don't piss on the bike, but usually pee right before leaving the water and then as I run out of T2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a manufacturer of both one-piece and two-piece racing garments, I tend to see many people who spend lots of money to be aero and light with less regard to how much faster their race times would be if they learned to not stop to pee, and learn to constipate themselves for the duration of their race.

Don't get me wrong, we have created trisuits with a fly for men and even a rear open zip for women, but I only did that because I saw a demand in the market, and boy is there. I enjoy the convenience of peeing during training without have to drop my pants, but before long races, I drain my body of all solids, and many year ago taught myself to pee while riding and running without stopping. You need to learn this during training first in order to make it work in a race. You also need to learn how to wash your bike and run shoes to rid the urine.

This is not normally a common discussion amongst top pros, but it is something I know first hand most all of them think about at some point.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster is a one piece trisuit vs a two piece? [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I drain my body of all solids, and many year ago taught myself to pee while riding and running without stopping. You need to learn this during training first in order to make it work in a race. You also need to learn how to wash your bike and run shoes to rid the urine.

I could never get myself to pee on the bike and always had like a 90sec pee saved up by the time I started the run, which I spent staring at my watch in a portapotty.

This last race, I decided to handle business on the bike, and I was amazed at how much better it felt on the bike afterwards and how much better and faster I was on the run. I never really thought of myself as "holding it" before, but I probably was. PRd my 70.3 run by 3 minutes with 2x the elevation.

Regarding no solid food before a long race, did I read that correctly? If you're doing a full distance are you just doing protein shakes and smoothies the day before? Hadn't considered that.
Last edited by: Lurker4: May 9, 23 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster is a one piece trisuit vs a two piece? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am vegetarian, so yes, I would put blend all my nutrients and calories and drink them the day before 24-36 hours before, and also learned how to take the stress/excitement of the race to constipate myself on raceday.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The inconvenience of peeing was less of factor than not having waist elastic causing GI distress.

But the #1 reason for a trisuit is NO lower back SUNBURN! In aero position your lower back is exposed and cooking for 5+ hours. It is very hard to sunscreen this area sufficiently.

As for speed assuming a tight top that you wear through the swim I can't imagine it makes any speed difference vs. things that make a difference like losing an extra pound.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply