Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How much faster can I be?
Quote | Reply
So I’m in the age old conundrum of upgrading to a tri-specific bike. Right now, I have an aluminum road bike, clip on bars, aluminum rims, regular bottle cages, regular cycling clothes, and gator skin tires. With that, I do 3 hour rides at about 22mph. I do not have a power meter (yet).

My question is, how much faster would I be with the full kit. I’m talking aero bike with integrated bars, aero storage, deep carbon wheels, tri suit and helmet, fast tires, the whole 9 yards. I’m aware of some online calculators, but you guys have real, personal experience, and I wanted to get your opinion. How much faster could I go?
Last edited by: Driva77: Jul 22, 20 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster can I be? [Driva77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, riding at 22 MPH for 3 hours on a 0 aero road bike is extremely powerful and fast. A friend of mine on flat Florida roads does around 22 on a 0 aero bike at about 225 W average power. In my area, with more typical rolling hills, it takes me about 260W to get above 22.

On my TT bike in Florida, I ride around 22 MPH on around 200W.

So, really rough guessing from going from slow everything to fast everything would be around 2-3 MPH.

Are you riding solo or in a pack with other riders? How hilly or flat are your rides. What is the wind situation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
29 mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30. Speed.

Quote Reply
Re: How much faster can I be? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
In my experience, riding at 22 MPH for 3 hours on a 0 aero road bike is extremely powerful and fast. A friend of mine on flat Florida roads does around 22 on a 0 aero bike at about 225 W average power. In my area, with more typical rolling hills, it takes me about 260W to get above 22.

So, really rough guessing from going from slow everything to fast everything would be around 2-3 MPH.

Are you riding solo or in a pack with other riders? How hilly or flat are your rides. What is the wind situation?

I am solo, I come from running and don’t know cyclists yet. It is also a bit windy, but very flat, I’m in the Midwest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driva77 wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

I am solo, I come from running and don’t know cyclists yet. It is also a bit windy, but very flat, I’m in the Midwest.

I'm in Midwest. You will be faster so totally worth investing it. Most of all, it's going to be fun to ride, so you will want to ride more and more and eventually be getting better and stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster can I be? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
29 mph.

haha this made me laugh so hard

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driva77 wrote:
So I’m in the age old conundrum of upgrading to a tri-specific bike. Right now, I have an aluminum road bike, clip on bars, aluminum rims, regular bottle cages, regular cycling clothes, and gator skin tires. With that, I do 3 hour rides at about 22mph. I do not have a power meter (yet).

My question is, how much faster would I be with the full kit. I’m talking aero bike with integrated bars, aero storage, deep carbon wheels, tri suit and helmet, fast tires, the whole 9 yards. I’m aware of some online calculators, but you guys have real, personal experience, and I wanted to get your opinion. How much faster could I go?

Honestly you're going to get to 23mph-25mph and then anything above that requires a lot of power and perfect aero.

I think switching from Gatorskins to GP5000s gives you at least 0.5mph.

Last edited by: plant_based: Jul 22, 20 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster can I be? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that group riding is somewhat dicey, I find myself alone on the Trek SC almost exclusively. I would guess that it adds about 1.5 - 2.0 mph. I can do 155-160 watts for 2 hours which gets me to 21 mph on a closed course. You have a lot more power to use and would be much faster than that. I've never regretted buying another bike!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me difference between “road bike, no aero” and “TT bike, full aero kit” is about 3 mph (same power)
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster can I be? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not trying to derail the thread but is wearing a loose tee shirt and baggies slowing me down by any significance on pavement and pretty smooth gravel? Would a gravel/cx bike be much faster than a HT mtb with 2.25 XC tires? I'm thinking the 2 changes (lycra kit and g bike) would get me at least another 1-2 mph to my average pace (usually around 16mph with 100ft climb per mile). I ride solo fwiw.
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster can I be? [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
Not trying to derail the thread but is wearing a loose tee shirt and baggies slowing me down by any significance on pavement and pretty smooth gravel?

That depends on your definition of “by any significance.” I have to believe You already understand that it slows you down more than a tight-fitting kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2-3 mph assuming your fit is spot on. I bought a "faster bike" with my fit being wrong and I was slower. I finally figured out the problem, got a professional fitting and it made a HUGE difference. The bike finally did what I paid for it to do.
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster can I be? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

That depends on your definition of “by any significance.” I have to believe You already understand that it slows you down more than a tight-fitting kit.

yes, I know that it is slower, especially at higher speeds. So say I'm averaging like 15mph with the tee shirt and baggies, would going to a lycra kit (everything else is the same) have much benefit? 1-2% improvement would be insignificant to me, 5+% would be huge and I'd consider a new kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
1-2% improvement would be insignificant to me, 5+% would be huge and I'd consider a new kit.

% improvement of what??? I’m too lazy to go search for some numbers but at that speed, I’m fairly sure you would see a greater than 5% improvement in watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considerably. On a normal, flattish course with a Max aero TT bike, 808s/disc, gp5000s, skin suit, aero helmet, I need about 210 watts to go 22mph. With my road bike, normal clothes, 404s, gatorskins im doing about 19, maybe 19.5mph...

I’d say 24-25mph, if you have a comfy position that you can stay aero and deliver the power

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

yes, I know that it is slower, especially at higher speeds. So say I'm averaging like 15mph with the tee shirt and baggies, would going to a lycra kit (everything else is the same) have much benefit? 1-2% improvement would be insignificant to me, 5+% would be huge and I'd consider a new kit.

Is this \pink?

The win tunnel did a few videos on apparel; here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNGQLi36xc

It suggests that going from a slightly loose to a form-fitting jersey is worth 90" over 40k -- so at your speeds this would be ~1.6%. If the clothes you are wearing are flapping about much more than the "loose" blue jersey shown 40" into the video, then I would guess you could see substantially bigger gains. Probably not 5+% on speed, but I'm guessing in the 2-5% range.

Also, jerseys have really useful back pockets that t-shirts don't, and bike shorts have padding -- both should be more comfortable by a lot than what you are wearing right now, as well as faster. Just buy some and see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with all the posts about 2-3 MPH faster. I ride the same loop for my long weekend rides and I see a 2 mph difference between my road bike on the drops vs tri bike. You’re faster than I am, so I think you’ll see a bigger difference.
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster can I be? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not want to derail the thread, but I don't understand what I am doing wrong. The OP is cruising along at 22 mph for a three hour ride. I did a 20 minute FTP test last week on a flat course, windy but not crazy, and averaged 305 watts. My average speed: 21.0 mph. I have a new Tarmac with the tires that were sold with the bike. They are not fast race tires, but not slow gatorskins either.

What am I doing wrong to be so slow with that amount of power?
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster can I be? [Pieman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bad fit and loose clothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:
I did not want to derail the thread, but I don't understand what I am doing wrong. The OP is cruising along at 22 mph for a three hour ride. I did a 20 minute FTP test last week on a flat course, windy but not crazy, and averaged 305 watts. My average speed: 21.0 mph. I have a new Tarmac with the tires that were sold with the bike. They are not fast race tires, but not slow gatorskins either.

Weight?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:

Remember, I did say I use clip ons. Also, I’m 140 lbs, 5’9”
Last edited by: Driva77: Jul 27, 20 15:32
Quote Reply
Re: How much faster can I be? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6’ and 176 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The aero bars and the wind would probably make up the difference then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:

It has to be the air drag. Maybe it was just an odd crosswind day. You have to look at averages over many periods - its hard to nail down certain things on just one day of data. Could be your aero form needs work.

Quote Reply

Prev Next