Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How much do you really train in the off season?
Quote | Reply
And when I say off season I mean that you cannot ride your bike outside because of snow.

I know it is partly due to the holidays and having family around, but I have been having a really hard time getting any kind of training in. I feel like I am back to zero again.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you really train in the off season? [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever I do, I add 1 hour to it and post it here. Isn't that the Slowtwitch way?

Just kidding, I have done very little in the last few weeks.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And when I say off season I mean that you cannot ride your bike outside because of snow.

I know it is partly due to the holidays and having family around, but I have been having a really hard time getting any kind of training in. I feel like I am back to zero again.
Your first mistake is to think there is an "off season". That's a recipe for failure. As Armstrong said, the Tour de France is won in January, not July.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you really train in the off season? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe in periodization, I'm currently in my fat-building period with only about 4 hours training per week. Ah, the flavor of a good beer!

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The snow has been great. I x-country ski 1-2 hrs almost every day for the last two weeks. Hope the snow stays. Ride the bike on the trainer a few times a week for 1-2 hrs. Do a few weights and a two hour master's swim group once a week.

At this time of the year it's more about trying not to lose too much fitness. Plus I really love x-country skiing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I don't have an off-season then....I ride 7 days/week outdoors here in MA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the 3 last weeks of December, I do whatever I want. If that means I run every day, great. If I run 1x/week, great. So far this week, I've gone for a couple walks and um, that's all.

I thoroughly enjoy my 3 weeks of no schedules, goals and planned runs. I get out and run for the true joy of it, look at the christmas lights etc. around my neighborhood.

I have mighty big plans for 2006 so this is a welcome break. I am already looking forward to the new year's schedules so I take that as a good sign.

And I am training my belly to consume lots of great food and 'nog for the next week ;)

Enjoy the holidays and have that extra cup of 'nog. It'll do ya good.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uumppff, none... :(:(
anything between nothing at all and about 3-4h/week for the last two months

actually, I was visiting family over in Europe for a month (no biking) and now just got hit with some mean deadline at work that has precedence, all that with the shorter days (daylight) in winter, makes it hard to fit training in.....

I know I should stick with it all year round, but my schedule seems to go nuts each year around Dec/Jan and makes it hard to find the time and focus.....

besides, still living off a late season ID

I really can't wait to have my life (and training time) back, but for now work (my PhD) has precedence...
so a couple of hours a week (if at all) have to do...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run 5 to 6 days a week near 30 miles
Swim 3 to 4 times a week 10-12K
About 8 to 10 hours worth of honest training
I don't count my stretch time

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this time of year I get a lot of my training done on skis either backcountry or cross-country. the backcountry ski days usually involve 6-10,000ft of elevation gain so they definitely count as a training day. I still do some shorter runs and swim and lift during the week and get a longish run in at the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What off-season? I backed off for a month after my last big race of the year, but right now I'm putting in slightly more hours per week than I averaged for the year. I do most of my rides indoors during the winter. The weather isn't that cold most of the time here, but I'm a wuss and my schedule makes it difficult to get outside on the bike during the daylight. I do most of my runs in the dark.

I think of winter as the time to get ahead of the competition. I can't wait for the first race of the season to see if I've improved against the guys I was close to last year.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I think that it is important to have some down time, but this is a much shorter period than people think.

2. It's important to change things up a bit in the winter/off-season. Do a single sport focus, do something else like xc-skiing, cyclo-cross, but what ever you do make sure you do keep putting in the hours.

3. The Lance Armstrong quote is important - to para phrase, that the races in in July are won in January. However, it's also important to know that it's a long way to July and you don't want to peak and or burn out by May!

4. People continue to get all worked up and way over-detailed about what the BEST off season training is. Am I going too hard? Am I going too easy? How many of these? What zone and for how long? Threshold or base? . . . . etc . . What's important, is that whatever you do, you need to do it everyday, you need to be consistant and you need to be able to repeat it with enthusiasm day after day.

Just a few ideas.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually took time off this year and have hated it and like you, have had a hard time getting going again. I need structure and accountability. January 1 is official training start, but maybe I'll move it up a week.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that you asked, but to add to the discussion:

I think it's important, the older you are, to take less of an off-season break. If you're over 40, what you lose during a break is going to get harder and harder to regain each year. I think older athletes may be better off just backing things off a notch or two for a while, rather than taking any kind of extended break.

I'm saying, "I think" in the paragraph above, but that's also the synthesis of several studies I've read about aging athletes.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you really train in the off season? [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
December was all about chilling out. To me a typical week is

2 days in the gym (core training) with each workout followed by a swim of 800 to 1000

4 days running or biking or both

Basically I take one day off each week but try to stay active
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Houston. It has snowed here twice in my nearly 34 years. I started off today a brisk 40F and is sunny and warming up to 60F, perfect for an afternoon ride to add to my usual 8-10 hour off season week. Stay warm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 days running for about 60 or so a week, and 5 days swimming. Cycling starts in Feb. Remember people like to ride because it is easier than running.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you really train in the off season? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fall and winter are big for me as I xc ski race on a pretty high level. So i avg 12-16 hours per week. With 5-6 on the snow, 3-4 afternoon runs, and 1-2 swim and/or bikes. I will keep this up till late Jan then go into a race/recover mode till the season ends. I will also bump the swim/bike volume with trips to Cali and AZ in Feb and March.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the last 3wks all rides have been inside, but weather is getting closer to normal so I will be able to get outside again soon, the link below is what I have been doing. I started structured training Dec 1, if you click back to Nov you see my wks off and the beginning of training.

http://www.qbike.com/...r.cgi?login=btrakita

"Here's to the finely tuned athlete on the verge of greatness"-Romeo, Tin Cup
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you really train in the off season? [Irongirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]For the 3 last weeks of December, I do whatever I want. If that means I run every day, great. If I run 1x/week, great. So far this week, I've gone for a couple walks and um, that's all.[/reply]

Seems we're on the same schedule. This is me time, not triathlon time. If I even have the slightest impulse to be bad I go with it. Starting on January 5 (got to schedule drinking time for college football) that all changes.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you really train in the off season? [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same thing about us "masters" athletes. I am not training nearly as much as I should. Haven't been in the pool sicne December 8, been on the bike a few times and forced myself to run a 5k on Sunday as penatence for not riding on Saturday. Now I have a head cold, but managed 30 minutes on the rollers today.

I will be traveling by the end of the week, will take my running shoes, but will be lucky to get in one run while I'm away...I'll be running to the dinner table!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not back to zero. Aerobic base lasts for months, but I am sure feeling my measly muscles after swimming and cycling very little for the last 2 months.

For me It's not back up to 10 hours a week yet. My April to July average is more like 15 hours. I have no idea how people do 15+ year-round. Don't know if I could hack it mentally. I am not an IM guy though.

I finished a marathon a little over 3 weeks ago so I took off a lot of time before and after. With A races in July and August, a marathon in Nov. and a lax December should be OK I hope.

Last year I guess after doing just a few workouts during all of December, I averaged:

2+ hours indoor riding; 2-3X swimming (6K total); 30 miles running and 2x45 min. strength & yoga for ... 10 hour week averages in Jan. & Feb ... This year I hope to do the same, just a bit more frequency, esp. biking. happy training.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you really train in the off season? [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just realized my coach- to- be is reading these......I meant to write the following

Run 40 with 2 track workouts

Swim 10,000 meters (all drills)

Bike 6 days a week 50 miles per ride (all in the snow)

Hows that Kurt??????????????????
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you really train in the off season? [peethreeguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 miles...thats it?

JK! Remember, frequency, consistency and specificity bring results!

Have a great holiday Jeff!

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The time I spend training is the same... but instead of focusing on running, I put in more time in the pool and run less -- idea being I get the cardio but give my legs a break.

I just don't rest well at all, I'm not into the whole "off season" concept!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next