Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many days a week do you lift weights (off season)
Quote | Reply
My plan this winter is to hit the weights twice a week and do Yoga twice also (plus a base of running and biking.....and swimming too). Come to think of it, I should just take up bowling :)
Quote Reply
Re: How many days a week do you lift weights (off season) [mainetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you take up bowling you will have to get a mullet and start smoking(assuming you don't smoke already). You will be required to get wasted every night at the bowling alley and run over cyclists on the way home. You won't have time to weight lift and don't let them find out you are doning yoga(they'll kick yer ass).
Quote Reply
Re: How many days a week do you lift weights (off season) [mainetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twice a week. I follow the Joel Friel program in his book The Cyclist's Training Bible. I follow his program to the letter. I have already started my program (its about 20 weeks long). Here's a pic from previous years "Maximum Weight Phase" (thats 850 lbs hack squat!).

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The results of following his program. 1st Place Overall...

Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the off season I design a three day per week weight program to be followed vigorously - but always end up doing it about twice a week or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm now on a 3 days per week schedule, I'll drop a day at the end of Jan, then drop another end of Mar.

Works for me

Paul

Quote | Reply
3-5 but I hate it. I've been weight training since I was 15 years old (I'm now 30). I would much rather run, rideor swim!

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: How many days a week do you lift weights (off season) [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David, It'll payoff any day now. Your damn close to having a 1st Place Overall too. Congratulations...

http://www.duathlon.com/articles/2812

Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: How many days a week do you lift weights (off season) [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you Dave Scott?
Quote Reply
Re: How many days a week do you lift weights (off season) [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with Dave Scotts book. I use Joel Friel's book. How about you :-))

Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2X week, but I do this basically year round. I've found this works well for injury prevention. I do a routine that takes about 30 minutes, and focuses on core muscle groups utilizing body weight, and high reps w/ relatively light weights.

I came up with my own routine based on a bunch of sources (Friel, Gordo, various non-tri resources). I don't know if weights translates directly to improved tri performance, but I do know it helps with injury prevention and improved overall fitness.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: How many days a week do you lift weights (off season) [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just started a two a week program with my wifes trainer. This guy is awesome and he has agreed to train us at the same time for the same price as one. Anyway, the leg workout yesterday was nasty and currently it is nearly impossible to sit down (especially on a toilet). Nothing like delayed onset muscle soreness to let you know you are alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3X a week for a couple months in the winter, otherwise 1X in the rest of the off-season, drop it during race seaon.

ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate workingout indoors. I can't stand lifting weights! As a matter of fact - I hate swimming and running hurts like hell......I do triathlons cause there's a bike ride in the middle!!

Paul
Quote Reply