Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many calories do elite athletes burn at rest?
Quote | Reply
Interested in finding some credible reading material for what an athlete (who typically trains for the pointy end of their sport) burns on a day when they are not training at all.

I read somewhere a while ago mark cavendish eats 1500 calories a day while not training. Presuming he isn't consistently in a weight loss cycle, that got me thinking that perhaps those athletes burn less when testing because their bodies are more efficient? I thought conventional thought was they would burn more at rest.

Or maybe cav is just a small guy with low caloric needs.
Quote Reply
Re: How many calories do elite athletes burn at rest? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get a pretty good figure based on the info gleaned from his team profile. You may find this interesting.

http://www.acefitness.org/...s-to-measure-it-and/

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
Interested in finding some credible reading material for what an athlete (who typically trains for the pointy end of their sport) burns on a day when they are not training at all.

I read somewhere a while ago mark cavendish eats 1500 calories a day while not training. Presuming he isn't consistently in a weight loss cycle, that got me thinking that perhaps those athletes burn less when testing because their bodies are more efficient? I thought conventional thought was they would burn more at rest.

Or maybe cav is just a small guy with low caloric needs.

Shouldn't burn more or less than the average person based on their lean body mass. Efficiency or economy would be very mode specific.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: How many calories do elite athletes burn at rest? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 From what I've read and heard, as mentioned, lean body mass, when not repairing/building muscle tissues form training, determines base metabolic rate. Many elite athletes, usually have more muscle mass than the average person that's the same height.... but dramatically more than the average person the same weight, because they are so lean. Cavendish is what, 150lbs? So most average Amercans..... wait, there are hardly any 150lb average American Males. However, you can compare him to someone with about similar lean muscle mass. I forget the ratios of water, fat, organs, but I think he probably has 100lbs of lean muscle. So a average "modern" american that's 5'9" and 175lbs, would be similar. They could even be 5'9" and a fat 200lbs and still have the same metabolic rate.

His specialty is his explosive power to weight ratio and flexibility to get very very low and aero while making that power. He doesn't necessarily have an unusually large amount of muscle mass and to have good power to weight ratio, means you don't want much upper body mass.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if I'm elite, just a roadie cat 2, and I eat 3000+ cals per day to maintain my weight (167-170) when not riding.

When I'm riding, which is obviously most of the time, I eat about 2800 + # of calories I burned (determined by kj count on Powertap).

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply