Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many bikes have you owned? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kid down the street from me had one of these.

I was soooo envious....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes have you owned? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous right now. my first bike was something similar but smaller. but just a fixie. had the whole banana seat going out. cool colors. are those shocks on the back?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri bikes: 5 (currently own five with a sixth on the way)
Road bikes: 3 (currently own 2)
Mountain bikes: 2 (currently own 1)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  1. Schwin Le Tour - Kid bike converted to triathlon bike in the 80s; recently sold
  2. Pinarello Montello SLX Dura Ace - Road racing bike; also used for tris 30 years ago; still have; excellent bike; recently retired for a modern carbon bike
  3. Giant MTB - 20 years old; recreational family riding
  4. Felt IA16 - 1 year old
  5. Franco Balcom S - 6 months old; fun road riding

• 5 total
  • currently have 4
  • about to sell one to get to 3

Last edited by: exxxviii: Sep 13, 17 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I still have 9 bikes and have owned 14 in total.
- '11 Cervelo S3, daily driver, 14lbs. Fatiguing ride now made much better with wider rims and tires.
- BMC TM01, tris. Favorite tri bike so far.
- BMC TMR02 - simply because it looks bad ass. Fun to ride as well; can double as tri bike when the TM01 is with race day transport
- '07 Cervelo R3 with aerobars and Redshift seatpost (awesome!) on the trainer. What a revolutionary bike the R3 is. So widely copied.
- 1986 Nishiki International frame hanging on the wall; originally used for tris then commuting. The ride quality of this bike is amazing.
- Specialized Epic MTB, aluminum.

On loan to friends
- '04 Teschner SC7000, lovely though stiff bike. Scandium with carbon rear
- '98 Fuji Team. Scandium. Rode this in to the ground; used mainly for tris.
- '94 Steelman hardtail now converted to singlespeed

No longer have
- '06 Scott Plasma. Revolutionary design with integrated seat mast.
- '00 Hunter Cross bike. A brief stint with cross..
- '98 Turner Burner with Canti Brakes
- '90 Steelman Stage Race (traded in for hardtail)
- Fuji D-6. Talk about a bike that could accelerate!

Oh, as a kid, also
- Blue Nishiki - high school through college. Cracked the frame rear ending a car
- Schwin Varsity - college
- Univega, black and red and chrome in high school
- plus 3 other bikes :-)
Last edited by: twain: Sep 13, 17 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9 years in triathlon.

4 Road bikes (Fuji, Giant, Cannondale, Cervelo)
1 TT bike (Cervelo P3)
1 old Gary Fisher 29" mountain bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello JasoninHalifax and All,

Considering all the bikes people have owned .......

And with kileyay at 25 bikes if 4 years I am flummoxed .....

My number of bikes owned is so wimpy I am embarrassed to comment .....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently I have:
MTB:
KHS XC604

Road:
custom 70th Anniversary Edition Mondonico Monza
KHS Flite Team (main road bike)
Trek 1200 (beater/rainy day commuter)

Tri:
QR Lucero
1st gen Specialized Allez Transition
KHS SCR prototype (trainer bike)

And whatever prototype I'm testing at the moment.

Past bikes include:
Nishiki Olympic (first bike when I got back into cycling in the mid 80s)
Cannondale R600
Santana Moda (first mtb)
Santana Sovereign (tandem)
Cannondale M1000 (mtb)

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Last edited by: Warbird: Sep 13, 17 15:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 in 3 years of riding. I don't think I'll ever be one that has a stable of 15 bikes, but I certainly see how people constantly buying new bikes and selling off old ones. I love my R3, but I've had it for less than a year and always wish I could play with the new toys in the bike shop when I go in.

1) CX- Fuji 1.5 Cross as a starter (sold)
2) TT-Felt B12
3) Road- Cervelo R3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a kid had a Raleigh singlespeed with fenders and school-backpack-carrier. One year later I got birthday money and upgraded it to a 3sp with derailleur.. age 10 or so, think that was the last time I had a bike shop work on my bike.. it was a great bike shop though, dim cavern full of bike bits and lean racers.

bought a Taiwanese steel Bughatti (yes that is how they spelled it) with 6sp index shifters. The frame cracked eventually but still using the single-pivot brakes from that frame on the Trek 2500 alu which was my 4th bike.

Third bike was a Schwinn Continental bought in the early 90s as a knockaround and gravel bike, lasted well until 2009. Raced Boulder Peak 1999 on that 40+lb thing, walked on Old Stage.. When we moved to a house next to MTB trails, gave it away and got a Specialized Hardrock MTB.

The Trek was rigged as a tri bike until 2006 when all its components got moved over to a Cervelo Dual frameset, to feed my delusions of grandeur and race USAT Nationals. That's still my race bike.

Bought a steel Schwinn Paramount PDG (Pretendamount, frame made in Japan) 7sp for commuting and training rides and charity rides where I was embarrassed to ride a tri bike. It's currently U/S with nasty grinding noises somewhere in the drivetrain, suspect a BB but have not found time to investigate, just ride the Trek.

So, seven lifetime, still own four of them.. just the loyal type I guess.
Last edited by: doug in co: Sep 13, 17 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes have you owned? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Only 1 less than I've ever needed...

I was going to actually say "1 more than I ever needed, but one less than I ever wanted. Talk to my wife so we can figure out the right ownership number". It's funny cause I currently have around 14 bikes and I have not ridden really in more than year and I was tempted to liquidate those "assets" and put them on ebay, but that would just feel like "giving up on riding"....so I own a bike shop worth of bikes for no good reason other than hoping I will ride again.

In the mean time, the quick math minus childhood is 32 over a span of 34 years. It is still way cheaper than cars. I have only owned 5 cars in that time frame and my wife has owned 2. For the longest time we were a 1 car family and all those bikes were effectively my second car...or just running or using snow shoes or skis to get around in the winter.
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes have you owned? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last 20 years, when I got into biking

5 mountain bikes (1 now)
2 road bikes ( 1 now)
3 tri bikes ( 1 now)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

I was going to actually say "1 more than I ever needed, but one less than I ever wanted. Talk to my wife so we can figure out the right ownership number". It's funny cause I currently have around 14 bikes and I have not ridden really in more than year and I was tempted to liquidate those "assets" and put them on ebay, but that would just feel like "giving up on riding"....so I own a bike shop worth of bikes for no good reason other than hoping I will ride again.

In the mean time, the quick math minus childhood is 32 over a span of 34 years. It is still way cheaper than cars. I have only owned 5 cars in that time frame and my wife has owned 2. For the longest time we were a 1 car family and all those bikes were effectively my second car...or just running or using snow shoes or skis to get around in the winter.

I hadn't ridden more than a couple of times a year for the last 7 years or so, and now I'm breaking them out again. So there's hope for you.

I had thought about selling them, but I wouldn't get much for them and they are a lot more expensive to replace now. So I decided to just keep them hanging around.

edit - 14 bikes may be a tad excessive though.

I might build up the Klein as a flat bar commuter for my wife, if she is interested. She's not a good cyclist, but I'm trying to get her out more.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 13, 17 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW! Ya'll have had a lotta bikes.

I bought a mountain bike in 1993.
I bought a steel frame road bike in 1998.
I came into a used TT bike in 2016. It is now disabled.
Then my new TT bike in 2017.

I still have all 4. At least 50 races over 24 years and counting.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently:
1 Tri bike
1 Road bike
1 MTB bike 29er hardtail
1 Fat Tire

Previous 4 road bikes 1 MTB
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes have you owned? [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke a bunch of those.... I like bikes too, but I'm showing my age. I don't like the newfangled super-duper bikes as much as some of the bikes of yore, even if they are "better".

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 13, 17 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an "adult"
'93 Rockhopper - still own, set up as "cross"/beater bike
'97 ProFlex 957 - own, spare, wife's "mtb" now
'99 Klein Quantum Race - own, but it's upstairs in garage attic sans wheels & pedals right now
'05 Felt B2 - gave to a tri newb Buddy last year
'09 P4 - replaced under warranty by
'13 P5/3 - current TT rig
'13 Ibis Ripley - current MTB
'16 Ridley X-Trail - current gravel/cx
'17 Framed Minnesota 3.0 - fatty

Also have my wife's Rockhopper as the dedicated BTN mule, but it's rusted almost beyond recognition, and will likely be replaced by the Klein for that purpose.

P = n + 1 I'm looking for a new aero road bike now.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the age of 18:
- 3 MTBs (one stolen, one ridden until it fell apart, one still going)
- 5 road bikes (1 written off while parked, one written off while I was on it, 1 sold to a friend which I still regret, 2 still going)
- 1 single speed (still going)
- 1 TT bike (still going)

Given that I'm 42 and have been a pretty regular cyclist throughout the last 24 years (I'd guesstimate maybe 60 or 70,000 miles total) I reckon that's a remarkably short list! 10 in total of which 5 are still in full working order. And my wife still thinks 5 is a ridiculous number of bikes to own...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep accidentally falling over tiny little bikes on sale because everybody else was too big for them. It's worked out quite nicely. The only thing I've had more than one of is the roadie, and it was a process of a couple of upgrades to get to this one (aluminium -> carbon, 105 -> Ultegra).

Currently:
Road (Trek Silque)
Tri (Cannondale Slice)
MTB (Liv Tempt)
CX/Gravel (Cannondale CAADX)
Fattie (Reid Titan. Yep, the kids version, with 24" wheels. Love that thing.)

Would love to upgrade the 'cross bike to carbon and Ultegra since it's the one that keeps me on the New England roads through the offseason, but it hasn't exactly been at the top of the list of things to spend money on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No little kids bikes? Damn, I had an Orange Crate as a kid until I joined the Navy. No idea where it went, which sucks.

Panasonic Super Sport 500 - Bought new in 1985 - Still have it and take it on club rides once in a while to prove to the kids it is all about the engine.
Specialized Allez - Bought new in 2007 - gone
Trek 8000 - Bought new in 1999 - gone
Specialized Transition - Bought new in 2012 - My primary TT bike
Specialized Roubaix - Bought new in 2017 - My primary road race bike

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since getting into multisport in 2004:

2004 - 2009: Hybrid - Mikado Yorkdale. Exclusive ride in 2004, relegated to commuter in 2005, in the shed since 2009.
2005 - 2014: Road Bike - KHS Flite 320. Exclusive ride from 2005 to 2007, occasional use 2007 - 2010. Relegated to trainer 2010 / Son uses it occasionally
2007 - 2015: Tri Bike - Cervelo P2K. 80% of all rides from 2007 to 2011; multisport competition from 2012 to 2014. Sold (reluctantly) in 2016.
2011 - present: Road Bike - Cervelo R3. 90% of all rides form 2012 to present. Upgraded gruppo and wheels in 2017.
2012 - present: Cross Bike - Jamis Supernova. Spring bike, gravel bike, back-road-baller bike, occasional Cyclocross race. Probably < 500 Km per year, still fun to ride.
2015 - present: Tri Bike - Cervelo P2. Weekly club duathlon, plus tri competition. Will use 1-2 times per week when training for ironman. Occasional Strava hunting.

13 years, 6 bikes total, currently still own 5, only 4 are in regular rotation. I feel inadequate for this thread.

But for posterity..
First "real" bike, 1979, Raleigh Grifter. Sweet baby 3-speed BMX style. You could bend the back fender to rub on the tire and make it sound like a motorbike.
First "real" road bike, 1986, Raleigh Record. Candy red, with full internal cabling.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

I hadn't ridden more than a couple of times a year for the last 7 years or so, and now I'm breaking them out again. So there's hope for you.

I had thought about selling them, but I wouldn't get much for them and they are a lot more expensive to replace now. So I decided to just keep them hanging around.

edit - 14 bikes may be a tad excessive though.

I might build up the Klein as a flat bar commuter for my wife, if she is interested. She's not a good cyclist, but I'm trying to get her out more.

I should amplify that the current fleet of 14 bikes are all "mine" in the sense that I paid and own them and they are 'reassigned' to me. They were bought originally for my wife and my son, none of whom are riding those bikes (my wife quit riding, my son outgrew his bikes). My wife is the same size as me, so I inherited her bikes and my son shot through 5'6" to 5'10" so I inherited his smaller bikes! So 4 of those bikes, I never bought for ME, but I own them. The ones I bought for me, 2x road bike, 2x tri bike, another road bike on my Computrainer, a spin bike, 2 mountain bikes, a commuter bike, a folding bike and a softride road bike. So that is 10 that I bought for ME and never sold and 4 additional that I inherited from family members. I probably should put more than half of these on eBay now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I should amplify that the current fleet of 14 bikes are all "mine" in the sense that I paid and own them and they are 'reassigned' to me. They were bought originally for my wife and my son, none of whom are riding those bikes (my wife quit riding, my son outgrew his bikes). My wife is the same size as me, so I inherited her bikes and my son shot through 5'6" to 5'10" so I inherited his smaller bikes!

See, your basement sounds like mine, which also contains 14 bikes at this time. One is being housed for a friend and one is on permanent loan to us, but the others belong, in the sense of "were bought and paid for by", me. Unfortunately, the fact that I am 5'3", my fiance is 5'9" and my stepson is 6'1" means there are very limited sensible bike sharing opportunities. Alas. (Although my stepson testing out my 48cm Slice with 650c wheels might be one of the funniest things I ever saw.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1981 up until now, 2 bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: How many bikes have you owned? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Kentucky Mac and All,

I think we have a winner! (Or a successful 12 step patient)

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next