Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How low do you go for an IM?
Quote | Reply
Doing my first IM in June (IM CDA) and find that my neck really starts to ache on longer training rides. I have a pretty low front end on my tri bike with a 74 degree stem. It is fine for up to half IM distance but am thinking of going to a different stem with more rise for the IM distance.

I realize this will make me less aero but comfort is king. Just curious if anyone else out there changes their set up for IM races vs shorter distances.
Thanks,
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: How low do you go for an IM? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a fairly aggressive position with a significant drop between the saddle and aerobars.

What has worked well for me is that at the start of the training cycle I switch out to a more relaxed angled stem and use spacers under the stem for a more relaxed position. As I gain endurance and muscular strenght which seems to correlate with my long rides > 4 hours, I start shuffling spacers and stems to slowly, 1/4" per week drop the elevation of my bars. This gives me several months to optimize the position between areodymanics and comfort prior to the race.
Quote Reply
Re: How low do you go for an IM? [Biotechblues] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree. I went from a fairly neutral position starting last season when I started riding my P3. Over the winter I dropped all the spacers out and got used to that. Then just over the weekend I flipped the stem over and swapped out my saddle for the final adjustments to my IM position. It is much more aggressive than I've ridden in the past, but so far it is working with only a few muscular changes. My neck is getting more sore as I ride outside and have to keep my head a bit higher than on the trainer, but with time my body will adapt.
Quote Reply
Re: How low do you go for an IM? [Biotechblues] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...that is good advice. Maybe it is just an early season "pain in the neck" that will get better as I adapt. I did more riding on road bike over last few months so perhaps I just need to get used to it again. I am going to buy a flatter stem but keep the old one for later in the season.
Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A flatter stem? Have you just experimented with flipping over the one you have? I cannot tell you the degree rise of my stem, but, I flipped it over for the IM distance. It raised the front well over an inch...and it took that for my neck to survive.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: How low do you go for an IM? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have used a different term than "flatter" but it is a 74 degree stem which makes up for the head tube angle and darn near makes your stem level/parallel to ground. What I meant to say is go with something like a 80 or 84 degree stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike .. i honestly think you were on the right track with your first post. Comfort / power generation / ability to run off the bike will rule for you! Especially in IM #1 ... find an aero position you can ride in for 85-90%% of the day at IM CDA ... not as much rolling stuff or chances to sit up atCDA like we have around here.

Shoot me an email off line and i'd be happy to help you out ... OR catch up with me at the club meeting in a couple weeks and we can toss around some ideas.

Cheers ...

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike, how many rides have you done with that setup? If less than 4-5, then I would give that position a couple more chances before changing it. Also it just an issue related to the front end, or could it be issues related to other parts of your position, like for example being too stretched out.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got my armpads 20cm below the saddle. I ride with my elbows right on top of the pads.

I've done about 40 hours of riding so far like this. My neck hurts after a stretch of about 3 hours in the bars, but I've got 5 months to get more used to it. Legs, hips and back feel just fine.

If the Ralph's half in March goes well (ie, if I run well), I'll stick with this position for IM CDA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are so right now about the neck. I did my first IM at IMF this past year and by mile 75, I really could not hold the aero position mcuh. From then on, I was basically using the hoods and going aero 15-20% of the time. Almost defeats the purpose of a tribike. But get this, my position is fairly conservative (in other words, if the people here saw my position, I would never hear the end ;)

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply