Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How long do you keep sunglasses?
Quote | Reply
Just general curiosity. How long does everyone keep their sunglasses for? My personal philosophy I look to natural switch times. Exit ramps if you will. If I miss an exit I wait until the next one.

1. One year/season if they’re cheap or you don’t like them
2. 3 years, they served you well but you have money to burn or see something really cool.
3. 5 years, they gave to have wear and tear by now and you’ve gotten your money’s worth.
4. 10 years, now they’re vintage and probably look stupid, but one more season and they’ll be the good kind of old.
5. When they are no longer usable just ride it till it dies.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you keep sunglasses? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have my Oakley Eyeshades from the ‘80’s! Several M frames too. Can’t spend that kind of money and toss them.
On cheaper stuff, a year or two.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Ray-Ban Aviators are at least 35 years old. I will keep them until I lose them. The triathlon sunglasses stay around until they are too scratched to serve their purpose.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
4. 10 years, now they’re vintage and probably look stupid, but one more season and they’ll be the good kind of old.

I have a pair of Flak Jackets that are 10+ years old. I guess they're old and look stupid now.

I guess I didn't know, and don't really care, that sunglass styles change that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question. I had been wearing the same pair of Oakley Half Jacket XLJ’s for over 10 years. Got them 20% off at the time. Now I’m going to use them for chores and utility use.

Recently, someone told me they looked outdated. I ended up picking up a pair of Oakley Flight Jackets primarily for cycling at 25% off. Then I scooped up a pair of Oakley Evzero Path’s for like $23 after a price match and amazon credit. I got those for running although I’ll probably rotate both pairs for variety. It got to the point that I realized I looked the same in all my finisher pix. Same glasses everytime. Hopefully, I get at least 5-10 years out of these.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Jun 18, 18 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a 5 by your list... but currently own three pairs.

Rudy Project Noyz - were free 5+ years ago as a race prize
Tifosi Podiums - bough last year for $... like that they don't have the top bar for cycling/racing
Roka aviators - got yesterday for Father's Day - wife bought them so I'm not wearing the above two when I'm not racing

I wear glasses until I loose them or somehow break them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My go-to glasses are some Oakley Square frames which are at 8.5 years. Plan to stick with them until I get a scratch I can't live with.

I've recently picked up some Tifosis with transition lenses that have been nice for cycling. Those will stay in the cycling rotation until broken or scratched beyond use.

As I think most sunglasses look horrible, it's clear to me that my idea of fashionable glasses and what other people think is fashionable is worlds apart, so it doesn't really bother me to have 'dated' looking glasses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Just general curiosity. How long does everyone keep their sunglasses for? My personal philosophy I look to natural switch times. Exit ramps if you will. If I miss an exit I wait until the next one.

2. 3 years, they served you well but you have money to burn or see something really cool.
3. 5 years, they gave to have wear and tear by now and you’ve gotten your money’s worth.

I think it depends on how much you spent on them. For me, I stopped buying expensive sunglasses after I had a legitimate warranty issue with an expensive brand wanting $55 plus like 8 weeks to replace for some salt/sweat related issues. I went through with it but that was the last time I did. I now just buy "burners"... sunglasses that I can dispose of if they get beat-up, scratches etc. I wrote about one pair that I use for cycling in an old piece about rimless sunglasses. For $10, if something happens it isn't a big deal.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you keep sunglasses? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a nice pair of Oakley M Frames that I still wear for races etc. as I like the way they fit my face. The warranty on them is pretty nice too, I've replaced the frames several times since I bought them in 1995.

But for the most part, I also use "burners" usually from Bass Pro or similar. $7 to $10 glasses and I'll buy 2 or 3 at a time so I always have some around. If they feel ok for an extended period of time I'll wear them riding / running. If they don't fit as well or feel odd then I just keep them in the car in case I forget a pair.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you keep sunglasses? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

I think it depends on how much you spent on them. For me, I stopped buying expensive sunglasses after I had a legitimate warranty issue with an expensive brand wanting $55 plus like 8 weeks to replace for some salt/sweat related issues. I went through with it but that was the last time I did. I now just buy "burners"... sunglasses that I can dispose of if they get beat-up, scratches etc. I wrote about one pair that I use for cycling in an old piece about rimless sunglasses. For $10, if something happens it isn't a big deal.

Good tip

I like these and have bought
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the "ride til it dies" camp. Usually that means the rubber parts fall off or become tacky (or whatever it is that's happening chemically with sweat). So that can mean anywhere from 3-10 years. Price doesn't seem to make much difference, so I stick with the cheaper pairs. Lately that's the XX2i glasses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being a sunglass lover I have a very large collection, and tend to keep them a very long time. As I just bought another pair of Maui Jims, I should start selling some. I have likely 9 pair of various Rudy's in addition to a few Smith, Zeal, Nikon, Prada, RayBan, and Maui Jim's. Being a photographer, I feel my eyes are so valuable to me and have a true aversion to putting crappy lenses in front of them. Others obviously feel different. The lens clarity, contrast and durability is so much better on good lenses and when I spend $$ on them I pay attention to them, take care of them, and know where they are. I shouldn't say this, but after spending a good dollar on a pair, I almost never (disclaimer or know on wood) lose them. The money we put in bikes, wheels, etc and why shortchange your eyes? You don't go with a cheap stem or fork, why do that to your eyes?

So, to the OP, I have some over 10 years old, and some brand new. The great thing about my newer riding lenses is that I have become a huge fan of photo chromatic lenses and those are my new "go-to" lenses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Until they break. I get wicked headaches outside on a sunny day without them. Out of style sunglasses are just back up in the car or good for wearing in the pool or ocean.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of Rudy Project Rydon's nearly 10 years ago, and just tossed them last week. They still worked fine, but started looking ragged. Given how many rides and runs I did in them, they were worth every penny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until I lose them or break them. I've had my current pair of Rudy Noyz for 4 years, prior to that I had a another pair of Rudy's (don't remember the model) for who knows how long.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Option 5, I guess. More than any other piece of gear, I feel stupid paying what is charged for a few pennies of injection-molded plastic.

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically when I am on my 3rd Rx. I’ll give a pair a good couple years until my Rx changes enough that I need to update the lenses. At that point it is not much more cost to get a new frame as well.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5, and I will buy new lenses for old frames if they are still good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
once there are blemishes / scratches enough on the lenses to bother me (directly in my field of vision) its time for some new ones.

ive always been an oakley fan, however i picked up some rokas recently and im in love.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you keep sunglasses? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. I use Smith Optics and eventually the coating starts to wear off or wear thin. That's when they are replaced.

I had a pair of Nike sunglasses break in half at the nose piece once, and my last pair of Smith's shattered when a rock kicked up off the road and hit them (that was a scary reminder that sunglasses need to Z86 certified if you ride in traffic). Everything else has been worn out or lost.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you keep sunglasses? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep mine until they are too scratched or I lose them. I find it hard to get glasses I think look good on my so when I get find a pair I try to keep them as long as I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a few pairs of Oakley Radars that are twelve years old that I still wear. I've replaced the ear socks and nose pieces, but they still fit great and the lenses are in good shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get 5-10 years out of a pair of Oakleys (usually swap the lenses out at about 5yrs). For my "fashion" sunglasses, I've had a pair of Pradas for six years and just swapped them for some Oakley TwoFace just to update the style a bit ($46 on eBay, so I'm not sweating it).

Even the old glasses I keep forever; I still have my Oakley razor blades from the early '90s.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5. I have a pair of Oakley Pro M's from 1997.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in 93/94 when I was a MTB'r I bought some Oakley Razor Blades.

I wore them for a couple seasons in 2013-14 until the mount for the arm snapped off. I guess just due to plastic fatigue.

Currently run RadarLocks and will keep them until they get lost, damaged or I see something I like more!
Quote Reply

Prev Next