Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How is your Boston training going?
Quote | Reply
11 weeks to go! Time to get serious.

I am 7 weeks into an 18 week Hanson's Plan (Advanced). I am feeling some of the aches and pains of being a master (42.5 years young), but am feeling lucky/optimistic to be holding together reasonably well. Felt like maybe I turned a corner this week and I am starting to really build some strength.

Could be doing better:

Some continuing minor pain in left knee. Dr. says low level ligament strain, happened during a snowshoe walk.
I have missed target mileage every week, cumulatively 58 miles behind.
Long run is only up to 12 miles (this week).

Going well:

Achilles tendonitis is doing okay, no issues right now. Knee issuing is not impacting my running
I have only missed one quality workout
Had my best week this week, most miles (46), best workout (7 miles at MP, 6:25 pace) and nailed my long run (12 miles, 7:05 pace).

What plan are you following? How are you feeling? What's your best workout so far?

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Jan 28, 18 20:54
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plan I am following is try to build up my base and not get destroyed by boston haha.

Seriously I had a nasty bout of ITBS after a back to back ultra weekend, and and just starting to get my volume up to a half decent level.

Boston has become about the experience now :p

Qualifying was the hard part though, and I have triathlons to focus on anyways!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My training has consisted of dropping back to Olympic distance tris. Not sure it was a smart move. Running less now than ever.

11 weeks? Fark.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
My training has consisted of dropping back to Olympic distance tris. Not sure it was a smart move. Running less now than ever.

11 weeks? Fark.

When I read the title, I thought it referenced training in Boston, not for Boston. Training in Boston has improved since the cold snap disappeared and the snow melted. I even raced a 15K in shorts and t-shirt yesterday.

Traininf for Boston, - I'm with you there. Boston 2015 was my last, barring some extraordinary circumstance. Short course Tri/Du is much more fun. And I live in the Boston area :-).

Goo duck to all those running! Who's taking bets on the weather predictions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This should make you feel good about your prep.

Someone offered me a charity bib spot last week and decided to take it since its been a bucket list event for me. I'm very behind, but hoping to pick things up (without getting hurt) in the upcoming weeks. Been averaging 25/week run training as a base.

What now seems as poor planning...Im doing Florida 70.3 the weekend before, so this should be interesting. Realistically, Im looking at a pedestrian 3:45 or so, but I still can't wait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way behind. I've struggled with ITBS since early December; to try to keep my mind off of it my biking volume is up, but my run volume is way down. Since it started I've gone (weekly) 13, 4, 1, 14, 18, 40. This is coming off a year that I ran over 3100 miles and two 2:36 marathons. Various stretching and strengthening exercises have helped make it tolerable, but 26.2 seems impossibly far away
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Had my best week this week, most miles (46), best workout (7 miles at MP, 6:25 pace) and nailed my long run (12 miles, 7:05 pace).

Are you actually shooting for a 6:25 pace at Boston? That seems very ambitious if your long run is only at 12 miles right now

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JPDMD25 wrote:
...Someone offered me a charity bib spot last week and decided to take it since its been a bucket list event for me. I'm very behind, but hoping to pick things up (without getting hurt) in the upcoming weeks. Been averaging 25/week run training as a base.

What now seems as poor planning...Im doing Florida 70.3 the weekend before, so this should be interesting. Realistically, Im looking at a pedestrian 3:45 or so, but I still can't wait!
What charity?

And, considering such short notice, how have you dealt with BAA's fundraising requirement?

"Each individual who runs the Boston Marathon for one of our official charities is required to raise a minimum of $5,000."

Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Im well aware of the short notice fund raising pain. Guaranteeing it with your credit card is a leap of faith at this stage in the game, but its for a great cause -- Ronald McDonald House.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm following the Terrence Mahon plan (level III) that came in a BAA e-mail newsletter. It seems like more of a quality over quantity type of plan so far. Anyone else following it? Lots of workouts: hills, tempo, intervals, MP work within long runs, etc. with mileage at 50/wk. It's nice to just follow the written plan and I've been pretty consistent so far - although I admit that I do an easy 30 minutes on the "off" days to keep up with the 100 day challenge! I'm 47 and have really noticed a loss of speed in the last couple years so this is an interesting experiment to see if I can get it back. I ran 3:05 last time in Boston at age 40 and would love to dip under that time or even sub - 3:00. I'm planning to run a half marathon in March and will set my goal based on my results. Of course much will depend on the day's weather and conditions as well as my ability to keep the beer consumption to a minimum! Thanks for the thread. Good luck with your training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JPDMD25 wrote:
Oh Im well aware of the short notice fund raising pain. Guaranteeing it with your credit card is a leap of faith at this stage in the game, but its for a great cause -- Ronald McDonald House.
Does BAA allow (otherwise illegal) bib transfers among charity runners?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its not an illegal transfer-- the charity has an extra bib #/registration. No one has used/signed-up with the number prior to me doing so. People can, and still are registering (fee goes up $100 on Feb 1st). I paid my $360 registration fee under my name and agreed to raise the appropriate funds or pay it myself. I'm excited...anymore questions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No offense intended but, having never used the "charity option" to enter, I was curious about BAA's charity-runner rules and details when I read your initial post saying, "...someone offered me a charity bib spot last week."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Charities can do what they want with their bib numbers as long as they adhered to the BAA guidelines. I was surprised there was one available this late. Someone at the charity offered it to a group of people, and I was willing to secure the funds -- its something I've always wanted to do.

And in full disclosure, I'd probably take a Kona spot too if someone offered.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually wouldn't mind some advice from the local US athletes. The timing of this race sucks for me. My home town in australia has an ironman and 70.3 (same day) on May 6th.

I do really want to come back and do the 70.3 but I am planning 2 weeks travel post Boston. 3 nights in NYC, 3 nights Vegas, 2 nights driving LA to San Fran and 3 Nights in San Fran.

We get home on Monday April 30 which is race week. Is there anywhere in those locations I could potentially hire a bike or are there any indoor trainer studios in those areas that hire bikes so I could potentially get 2 rides a week in while I am away to maintain some bike fitness?
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I feel better about my training, but at least I feel better knowing there are other people not having a perfect go of things right now.
We still have plenty of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
up to 70 m/week. mostly gentle runs except for 18-20 sunday long run, mostly at race pace or faster.
am 58 but lucky to have local group of younger and faster. no weekday w.o. for now; except for 4-5 swims/week.
we'll see how this ends : )

good luck to all,
Last edited by: Andre Bennatan: Jan 31, 18 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibial stress fracture here. Happened about 9 weeks ago so I'm out, unfortunately. Training had been going really well, too. Got fitted for custom orthotics yesterday.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am also following that Terrence Mahon plan level 3. So far, so good. I missed the first 6 weeks with a stress fracture, but now I'm getting back in the swing of things. I substitute some of the easy runs with with cycling. I'm 44, but my knee won't allow all the volume. Good luck in your qualifying race. Hope you go sub 3! Nice to hear from others who are doing it, too!
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
too bad rowan, all the best in your recovery and maybe next year...
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Andre. This is my first "real" running injury so I consider myself somewhat lucky. At least I have MTB to fall back on while I heal up....

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Things seem to be going well so far. Despite some nasty weather, I live in MA, I've averaged 40-50 mpw. I did manage to slice off a piece of one of my fingers Sunday night (food prep can be dangerous!) so I took off Monday and Tuesday, but I plan to get back out there today!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not doing Boston (have run two times), but hoping to qualify at the Hyannis Marathon in 3 1/2 weeks. Training going pretty well considering I only decided to do the marathon about six weeks ago. I've averaged 60 for the last four weeks, but have averaged 50-55 since mid September (high of 68 low of 47). I'm hoping the decent base with a few long runs will get me my elusive sub 3.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any one had good ideas for treadmill workouts (8-10 miles)? chicago winter not letting go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I've made a mistake. I've bought tickets to the baseball thinking it was an afternoon game and the marathon started early...it starts at 10am? Baseball says 11.05 on the website. Is that Gates open or gametime?
Quote Reply

Prev Next