Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How iron brand take over of Carlsbad 5000 ruined it
Quote | Reply
- twice, the train crossed in during AG waves, forcing the top runners to stop and wait. Was a close call for elites - luckily they were not as fast this year

- prize money cut, and both men's and women's elite fields had 1/3 the participants

- elite race was put between AG races. So if you did the all day 20k, you couldn't sit and relax watching with local beer and pizza/tacos. If anything this move made less people watch as next racers were busy being tense and warming up.

There are more issues, but not as bad as these. ( For instance they should have strict time verified pace corrals). They can also move the course away from the tracks since it is not America's fastest 5k anymore (now baa 5k)
Quote Reply
Re: How iron brand take over of Carlsbad 5000 ruined it [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
- twice, the train crossed in during AG waves, forcing the top runners to stop and wait. Was a close call for elites - luckily they were not as fast this year

- prize money cut, and both men's and women's elite fields had 1/3 the participants

- elite race was put between AG races. So if you did the all day 20k, you couldn't sit and relax watching with local beer and pizza/tacos. If anything this move made less people watch as next racers were busy being tense and warming up.

There are more issues, but not as bad as these. ( For instance they should have strict time verified pace corrals). They can also move the course away from the tracks since it is not America's fastest 5k anymore (now baa 5k)

Trains have no places in running races so I hope they at least communicated that ahead of time. At Raleigh in the past few years that have told us that there was a chance for trains at the pro meeting. As far as I know there hasn't been anyone that has been impacted by one but at least they have timing mats before and after to calculate time waiting.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: How iron brand take over of Carlsbad 5000 ruined it [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's sad to hear, that was such an iconic race. I maybe did it 3 or 4 times as most every triathlete training in San Diego did back in the day. And every race was exciting to watch cause the best AG'ers in the country(sometimes world) would show up and fight for that title. Then the pro race was always stacked, and often a new road 5k record would be set. It was awesome to have your race done and hang around for the pros too, great expo to keep you busy, and just a really fun atmosphere.

RIP Carlsbad 5000, you had a good run....
Quote Reply
Re: How iron brand take over of Carlsbad 5000 ruined it [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
synthetic wrote:

At Raleigh in the past few years that have told us that there was a chance for trains at the pro meeting. As far as I know there hasn't been anyone that has been impacted by one

Was that a slip or a pun😀???
Quote Reply
Re: How iron brand take over of Carlsbad 5000 ruined it [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
synthetic wrote:

At Raleigh in the past few years that have told us that there was a chance for trains at the pro meeting. As far as I know there hasn't been anyone that has been impacted by one

Was that a slip or a pun😀???

No pun intended :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: How iron brand take over of Carlsbad 5000 ruined it [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
That's sad to hear, that was such an iconic race. I maybe did it 3 or 4 times as most every triathlete training in San Diego did back in the day. And every race was exciting to watch cause the best AG'ers in the country(sometimes world) would show up and fight for that title. Then the pro race was always stacked, and often a new road 5k record would be set. It was awesome to have your race done and hang around for the pros too, great expo to keep you busy, and just a really fun atmosphere.

RIP Carlsbad 5000, you had a good run....

I wasn't aware of the "take over". Having done it a few years, it was such a great race and was masters national championships for a while. A big triathlete turnout as you said, and we had a ball watching many of the old names such as Spencer Smith blowing up after a way too fast start, Steve Scott doing crazy times for his age, and one year the race pro leader going out 3:58. I'm so sad to hear they wrecked this one as it was a true jewel. And no issues with trains in any of the years I was there.
Quote Reply