Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How fast will IMTX sell out now
Quote | Reply
After today’s performances I can’t imagine it will take long.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are IM's quick selling events these days?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They still need to shorten the swim and find a place where it can be downstream, then look out for the stampede!!!

Obviously seriously short in the bike and run, did we ever figure out by how much? I figured 109 on the bike, but looks like the run was at least a mile short too?
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike was same as last year, people strava are showing 25.2-25.7 on the run. But heard from people that raced: lots of people where cutting the corners on the run. The 25.7 on Strava from a friend I know is accurate since I know he would not cut the corners, last year I had 25.8 on my garmin. So its a short course but no different then last year.

I deferred my entry to 2019 this year, but I am going to try to move it to a different race if i can.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing appealing about this race venue except:

1. Sole option for this time of year
2. Easy course
3. Lots of slots

I guess something above will appeal to a lot of people, but every NA race except arguably MD is more appealing than this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
After today’s performances I can’t imagine it will take long.

Did it sell out this year?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it did, but the draw of shortened course and draft legal(lol) will draw lots. I was contemplating this race. Now not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Fast courses like Arizona are still filling up very quickly I think

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Try to get in Arizona, Austria, or Challenge Roth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
They still need to shorten the swim and find a place where it can be downstream, then look out for the stampede!!!

Obviously seriously short in the bike and run, did we ever figure out by how much? I figured 109 on the bike, but looks like the run was at least a mile short too?

my Garmin had the run at 26.1 miles, 109.7 for the bike

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here, so at least the good honorable guys ran the whole course

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading all these IMTX posts this morning is very discouraging. I was planning on racing in 2019 - one IM distance every five years is about what my training-family balance will allow. With the race in my backyard it really makes logistics much easier, but I really am not excited about riding with a bunch of dumbasses. So how much worse is TX for drafting compared to other events and is it worth the extra $2000+ it would at least cost to fly to another venue vs racing in my backyard? (Obviously cost/value depends on ones own finances - for me that is a significant extra amount to spend on a one day race, especially with the local option available).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Garmin had 109.61 and 26.16.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
So how much worse is TX for drafting compared to other events and is it worth the extra $2000+ it would at least cost to fly to another venue vs racing in my backyard?

The local factor is big. I think after this year they'll at least police it better. TX bike is similar to Kona bike, just with a wider road, so you get the world champs experience right on your doorstep! If it was me, I'd save the $ and stay local. At least you know what to expect.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s too bad politics made them stop using the old course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Mont Tremblant last year. Bike was 109.6. I’m not getting what all the fuss is about.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
There is nothing appealing about this race venue except:

1. Sole option for this time of year
2. Easy course
3. Lots of slots

I guess something above will appeal to a lot of people, but every NA race except arguably MD is more appealing than this one.

Is #3 really a thing? Seems like more fast people show up because of those slots.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
I did Mont Tremblant last year. Bike was 109.6. I’m not getting what all the fuss is about.

People need to complain about something I suppose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run was legit. Bike course 2 Miles short.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [skinzylindsay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about doing Texas 2019 but after seeing all the drafting this year I choose not to. Did Mallorca 70.3 in 2017 and had a long train behind me, won't ever do that race again either. Won't do Barcelona full either because of drafting pics I've seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wasn’t short on the run and the bike was short by 3km. Hope this helps.

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn’t short on the run and the bike was short by 3km. Hope this helps. //

Well it looks like peoples garmins or whatever they used to measure got 25.2 to 26.2 on the run. So someones watches are off, but none of them seem to be to the long side. Maybe you wheeled it?? I have no idea, just that there were a lot of fast times, not just an outlier here and there.

As for the bike it looks to me that most people got 109+. Some a few tenths more, some a few tenths less. So looks like closer to 4k to me, but perhaps you wheeled that one too??

But you are right, I do not trust the garmins to be so accurate that it is just yards that are the difference, so unless I have a wheeled distance, just have to go with what most got, some sort of average, and the times posted up(running only, as the bike was just too wacked out to use time as any indicator..)

It would be great for Matt and all the others that ran sub 2;40's or there about if it was accurate. It would definitely be the best Ironman runs by anyone ever in triathlon history, ever....
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Bike was same as last year, people strava are showing 25.2-25.7 on the run. But heard from people that raced: lots of people where cutting the corners on the run. The 25.7 on Strava from a friend I know is accurate since I know he would not cut the corners, last year I had 25.8 on my garmin. So its a short course but no different then last year.

I deferred my entry to 2019 this year, but I am going to try to move it to a different race if i can.

I had 176.6k on the bike and 42.8 on the run. Cozumel was long last year. Boulder was short in 2014 and 15. We race the course so apart from the records issue why does it matter? This is a completely different issue than the blatant cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will IMTX sell out now [Petrus101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

I had 176.6k on the bike and 42.8 on the run. Cozumel was long last year. Boulder was short in 2014 and 15. We race the course so apart from the records issue why does it matter? This is a completely different issue than the blatant cheating.

Agree. As I have said before. Ironman is a brand not a distance.

However the drafting was cheating. AG Girls riding 4:30 bike splits, please. Give me a break.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t trust people’s Garmins at all. I worked for IM for 3 years as a swim course director or swim course staff. We had hand held GPS (which were always above water) and the day before the race we would run the course in a boat 2-3x to get a distance. We’d adjust buoys here and there when needed and would usually get spot on or within 25-50 yards. We’d always have people who would complain that the course was long or short depending on their times and ego. They’d always hold up their Garmin files as proof.

In terms of the run course, I’m fairly certain that it’s the same exact course as previous years. I know they do “wheel” it and it was always 26.2.

This year was the best weather this race has ever seen and I’ve worked the event every year since it’s inception.

Also, this was the first time Matt had anyone to challenge him on the run. I’ve seen him run a sub 5 min mile at the end of a race when he really wanted it. That was in 2014. And not to speak out of turn, but I know he’s working on some pretty cool stuff right now in his training that helped with this effort.

As someone who has known Matt as an athlete for a long time, his run was within his ability and I know he’s just beginning to hit his stride. In my opinion, he still can go faster than that run.

For the bike course, I heard from guys who would know that it was about 110.

Hope this helps.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next