Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How far did rolldown go at Tremblant 70.3? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crud. Had even gotten the green light from the wife if I could pull it off.
Looks like I'll keep the standing family vacation plans.

I don't see the Nice rolldowns going very far!

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: How far did rolldown go at Tremblant 70.3? [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edinburgh is still open (walk-up only) and is a SA qualifier

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: How far did rolldown go at Tremblant 70.3? [Dancon7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's almost freaking July! About 4,000 athletes already interested. Very difficult to make arrangements this late in the game. Roll downs for 70.3WC are always a gimme 2 months out.
Quote Reply
Re: How far did rolldown go at Tremblant 70.3? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Maybe it’s just because Sth Africa is a hell dangerous country that no one wants to go to? I work with two Sth Africans and after the stories they have told me you couldn’t pay me to go the the place!!

What happens in various parts of South Africa is not a reflection of what the situation is in Port Elizabeth and especially Summerstrand. It is like a European turning down a slot to Chattanooga because of the situation in South Chicago. I raced IMSA in April 2017 and based on that first hand experience I took a slot to go back. Meanwhile, at the Peurto Rico 70.3 in 2015 I was directly in the center of the crossfire that hit 2 triathletes. And that's part of America Jack!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Maybe it’s just because Sth Africa is a hell dangerous country that no one wants to go to? I work with two Sth Africans and after the stories they have told me you couldn’t pay me to go the the place!!

Whats that line again? "Everything in Australia is trying to kill you"

A buddy of mine told me that New Zealand is a much better place to visit anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SPBaldwin wrote:
I find it hard to believe that there are really so few takers for South Africa.

So basically, if I wanted to snag a slot for Worlds, I'm hearing that I should sign up for a WTC 70.3 ASAP, right?
(just got an email that there are slots open for IMLP 70.3, and it got me thinking)

Sorry, I acknowledge I got it wrong, there were probably 22 people who raised their hands in wanting a 70.3 WC slot over my original estimate of 20.
Quote Reply
Re: How far did rolldown go at Tremblant 70.3? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Edinburgh is still open (walk-up only) and is a SA qualifier

Says differently on the race site.
There are 50 slots available to the 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in Nice, France.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...h.aspx#ixzz5JYQQOfKF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird, I took my info from here:

http://m.ironman.com/...18-qualifying-events.

Actually looking at thier home page, they will have 50 slots for SA AND 50 slots for Nice

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Jun 26, 18 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: How far did rolldown go at Tremblant 70.3? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
dunno wrote:

What happens in various parts of South Africa is not a reflection of what the situation is in Port Elizabeth and especially Summerstrand. It is like a European turning down a slot to Chattanooga because of the situation in South Chicago. I raced IMSA in April 2017 and based on that first hand experience I took a slot to go back. Meanwhile, at the Peurto Rico 70.3 in 2015 I was directly in the center of the crossfire that hit 2 triathletes. And that's part of America Jack!

Uh huh...highest murder rate, highest rape rate

https://m.news24.com/...crime-soars-20171028
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never go to Puerto Rico
Quote Reply
Re: How far did rolldown go at Tremblant 70.3? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
dunno wrote:

Your blanket statement "no one" is kind of over reaching in the same way a lot of foreigners are scared to go to parts of American cities does not mean no one goes to them. The entire country is not filled with criminals. I biked through the township outside of Port Elizabeth on several rides and stopped for snacks and talked to locals. I told them about life in Canada coming to south Africa straight out of snow storms and minus 15 and talked to them about soccer, South African track stars and cricket players and even the Springboks. Amazingly almost no one in a township are criminals. It is like that everywhere in the world where you have criminals. The majority of the country populatiion are good and peaceful people. They are not trying to steal from you, hurt you, harm you and make you miserable.

All the people I met in Port Elizabeth were beyond fantastic and I would love to go back with my multi racial family (white and brown people).

It basically comes down to the fact that you cannot let what you see on TV or the media affect your perceptions of the country. With all the gun violence in the US, I am not letting that get in the way of the chance of me getting in a crossfire next time I go down to the US. It just makes no sense.

Dev

I’m not even going to argue-the facts are readily available online showing the extremely high rate of crime, rape and murder in Sth Africa.

This isn’t perception this is fact. So when I have two Sth Africans tell me they would never drive there cars over there without a loaded gun sitting on their lap it’s not surprising that I like many others may think ‘hmmmm maybe I’ll give this one a miss’
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I belueve Edinburgh is a rare bird that offers slots to both WCs.
Quote Reply
Re: How far did rolldown go at Tremblant 70.3? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing is no one is interested in the 70.3 worlds unless it is in their back yard. Several years ago when I first started in the sport the same thing happened for spots in Australia and NZ to go to Vegas. In the end it was a show of hands who wants to go and they gave out spots based on that the same as is happening to go to Africa. The pros don't really care unless it is easy for them as are most AGers including me. Those people that get the opportunity to race in their own back yard will be super keen, people that choose to go will get a great new experience of somewhere they might otherwise not visit in the world. I think everyone will agree Kona is too much of an iconic race to be moved but the 70.3 I think it is fair and great that it's shared around the world and people that really want to race will still go. I raced in Sunny Coast in 2016 and I will be trying to get to Perth or Taupo in 2020. It also gives people who may never get to race a world title but really want to an easier break which I think is cool as unless they go legacy will never get to Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: How far did rolldown go at Tremblant 70.3? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep! I am rooting for Taupo...would definitely go there, but have no interest in Nice. To each their own. Meanwhile, the whining about venues outside North America gets old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you are saying that Summerstrand has the highest murder and rape rate or did my analogy on South Chicago escape your grasp? You sound like someone who would not go to Ironman Cozumel because of cartel murders in other Mexican states. Watch out for your shadow when you turn around!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
So you are saying that Summerstrand has the highest murder and rape rate or did my analogy on South Chicago escape your grasp? You sound like someone who would not go to Ironman Cozumel because of cartel murders in other Mexican states. Watch out for your shadow when you turn around!

lol, got to love the internet where people will argue that blue is black. I could waste my time digging up a heap of stats on crime and murder and rape but that would be wasting my time..go enjoy it, I hear its a lovely and safe place for the family, people from all around the world are flocking there :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dig up those stats on Summerstrand, I would love to see how they compare to my firsthand experience. It's not like I was strolling around a township after dark although that would probably be safer than South Chicago. Meanwhile, PR70.3 in America is probably the only WTC event in the world where 2 triathletes where shot during the competitition, and that is a FACT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
dunno wrote:

Your blanket statement "no one" is kind of over reaching in the same way a lot of foreigners are scared to go to parts of American cities does not mean no one goes to them. The entire country is not filled with criminals. I biked through the township outside of Port Elizabeth on several rides and stopped for snacks and talked to locals. I told them about life in Canada coming to south Africa straight out of snow storms and minus 15 and talked to them about soccer, South African track stars and cricket players and even the Springboks. Amazingly almost no one in a township are criminals. It is like that everywhere in the world where you have criminals. The majority of the country populatiion are good and peaceful people. They are not trying to steal from you, hurt you, harm you and make you miserable.

All the people I met in Port Elizabeth were beyond fantastic and I would love to go back with my multi racial family (white and brown people).

It basically comes down to the fact that you cannot let what you see on TV or the media affect your perceptions of the country. With all the gun violence in the US, I am not letting that get in the way of the chance of me getting in a crossfire next time I go down to the US. It just makes no sense.

Dev

I’m not even going to argue-the facts are readily available online showing the extremely high rate of crime, rape and murder in Sth Africa.

This isn’t perception this is fact. So when I have two Sth Africans tell me they would never drive there cars over there without a loaded gun sitting on their lap it’s not surprising that I like many others may think ‘hmmmm maybe I’ll give this one a miss’

Sorry what country do you live in?
Last edited by: zedzded: Jun 26, 18 17:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Dig up those stats on Summerstrand, I would love to see how they compare to my firsthand experience. It's not like I was strolling around a township after dark although that would probably be safer than South Chicago. Meanwhile, PR70.3 in America is probably the only WTC event in the world where 2 triathletes where shot during the competitition, and that is a FACT.

And people post 'first hand experiences' for every war torn area in the world saying how surprised they were etc, doesn't mean its safe. Go for your life and argue all you want, but the general perception which is often backed up up by articles like this are no doubt a detractor to anyone wanting to go to Sth Africa...

From Sth Africa's very own news...

"SA most violent cities revealed"

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2017-08-23-sas-most-violent-cities-revealed/

"The City of Cape Town and Nelson Mandela Bay are the most violent metros in the country‚ based on murder rates‚ but the former has the highest rate of crime detected through police work."

"Based on murder rates‚ the two most violent cities in South Africa are Cape Town and Nelson Mandela Bay‚ both of which have high levels of gang crimes‚ followed by Buffalo City."
Quote Reply
Re: How far did rolldown go at Tremblant 70.3? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

What country I live in has no bearing on the perception (true or otherwise) that Sth Africa is a dangerous place.

lol the internet--->

person a: why did I get wet in the rain yesterday?

person b: because when it rains water falls out of the sky

person c: no it doesn't, I was in the rain the other day and didn't get wet

person b: that's because you had a jacket on

person c: prove it

urghhhh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any race including WC’s outside North America is a non starter for me. It’s just a huge cost. I hardly doubt the 3k flight cost pp was made up. It was said to caution people accepting slots to consider cost, which is significant.

Sorry but I’d be happier racing a couple hours from home in Chattanooga, Ohio, Muncie, Steelhead, etc. This sport is a hobby and lifestyle and not an income generator. I suppose if you have the funds go for it, but it’s not in my budget and even if it was I would think twice before committing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
zedzded wrote:

What country I live in has no bearing on the perception (true or otherwise) that Sth Africa is a dangerous place.

lol the internet--->

person a: why did I get wet in the rain yesterday?

person b: because when it rains water falls out of the sky

person c: no it doesn't, I was in the rain the other day and didn't get wet

person b: that's because you had a jacket on

person c: prove it

urghhhh

Port Elizabeth or South Africa. SA is a big place. It's like me saying don't go to the USA because they have earthquakes or don't go to Canada because they have bears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Port Elizabeth or South Africa. SA is a big place. It's like me saying don't go to the USA because they have earthquakes or don't go to Canada because they have bears.

And I’m sure there are places in Syria that are beautiful and safe, that doesn’t change the perception that Syria is a dangerous place and prevent people from going there.

Anyway, this is about the race in Nelson Mandela Bay yeah, so Triathlon Trev jumps on the net and googles and the first thing he reads is the news article posted above about it being one of the most dangerous cities in SA. Could turn ole Trev away? But nah, let’s argue semantics...

once again for you....

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2017-08-23-sas-most-violent-cities-revealed/

"The City of Cape Town and Nelson Mandela Bay are the most violent metros in the country‚ based on murder rates‚ but the former has the highest rate of crime detected through police work."

"Based on murder rates‚ the two most violent cities in South Africa are Cape Town and Nelson Mandela Bay‚ both of which have high levels of gang crimes‚ followed by Buffalo City."
Last edited by: dunno: Jun 26, 18 18:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Quote:

And I’m sure there are places in Syria that are beautiful and safe, that doesn’t change the perception that Syria is a dangerous place and prevent people from going there.

Anyway, this is about the race in Nelson Mandela Bay yeah, so Triathlon Trev jumps on the net and googles and the first thing he reads is the news article posted above about it being one of the most dangerous cities in SA. Could turn ole Trev away? But nah, let’s argue semantics...

once again for you....

https://www.worldatlas.com/...ities-in-africa.html

Well looks like you're right... PE in at number 8 of most dangerous cities in Africa. Perhaps I should have done my research before taking my spot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

Well looks like you're right... PE in at number 8 of most dangerous cities in Africa. Perhaps I should have done my research before taking my spot!

All good mate. Like I mentioned I work with 2 Sth Africans and the stories they tell blow my mind. I couldn't imagine living somewhere where it is normal behavior to carry a loaded gun on your lap when driving...its IS a very dangerous place in their opinion.
Quote Reply

Prev Next