Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How far back in tri history do some of you go?
Quote | Reply
I did some small local races in 1982 but the first "larger" race I can document with results is the Bud Light Triathlon in Bakersfield. I'm sure many of you can pre-date this.

So lets stroll down memory lane this morning and see who has the oldest documented triathlon.

Who is ST's most aging relic?

Pics would be cool.

Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first tri was in '84. SeaFair Triathlon. I did one a year until '88 (graduated from college, spent the summers here instead of in Alaska), when I filled my calendar. Did so every year after until... '93? Maybe '94... Then started transitioning into bike racing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a team triathlon in New Brunswick when I was 12, so that would have been in 1978. And yes, we won.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
I did some small local races in 1982 but the first "larger" race I can document with results is the Bud Light Triathlon in Bakersfield. I'm sure many of you can pre-date this.

So lets stroll down memory lane this morning and see who has the oldest documented triathlon.
Pics would be cool.

June 1986, Riverbend Tri at Chattanooga, TN.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started doing "biathlons" in 1981. But it took me until 1983 to sorta learn to swim and to find a race (Austin Bud Light).

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got me beat. First Tri was the Raleigh Mini Triathlon in June 1984. Not much of a race but was greeted at the finish line by a lady in a cocktail waitress outfit handing out Bloody Marys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

Pics would be cool.

1983 was my first, I've got race results (USTS Bud Light Denver, a few others) from 84 and 85. A few hiatuses along the way as well.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1987, Sharon, Mass. A week after graduating high school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
June 1986
West Bend WI (sprint distance)
raced actively 86-89 then a life break until 2005
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1985...President Triathlon in Dallas as my first...269 Triathlons later and still going.....
Quote Reply
Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
1985...President Triathlon in Dallas as my first...269 Triathlons later and still going.....

I did that one. I think Mark Allen won it.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He won the long course I believe....I did the short...I think a guy named Jimmy Riccitello won the short coure in his first triathlon?....

I have the results somewhere.....

I seem to remember some Dallas Cowboys did the short course and suffered in the heat on the run like alot of us....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
August 1980. I still have the race flyer and my medal from the 1st Tinman Triathlon (1 mi - 55mi - 20K) in Menomonie Wisconsin.
Quote Reply
Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I beleive it was in 1985 Morden Half Ironman. The Tin Man triathlon. 16 years old at the time and had to get permission from my doctor and phys-ed teacher to do it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First tri I did was back in '92 and was the Columbia Tri right when I close to getting out of the military. Next one wasn't until '06.

I was digging through one of my old boxes in the basement a few months ago and found the results book from the '92 race. Turns out I qualified for AG Nationals based on that result back then. Only time I ever qualified. :-P

Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds similar. I think I quit in '86 when my first son was born and started back in 2005.

Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
269! that's got to be a record or a sickness! ;-)

Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
269! that's got to be a record or a sickness! ;-)

-----

Not even close,Rhodesy reckons he has done 1,000 "multisport events",most of them triathlons..

----
Quote Reply
Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
June 1986
West Bend WI (sprint distance)
raced actively 86-89 then a life break until 2005

West Bend was my first Tri...I think 1987. My high-school buds and I had no clue what we were doing. Did that race 3 or 4X. Need to dig through some old boxes as I may even have printouts of the results.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 1984 in Chattanooga as well, although at the time it was called the Bencor Riverbend Triathlon. The oldest shirt I still have is from the same race but in 1987. Did a Bud Lite race near Knoxville the same year. Def Lepard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was a big hit at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first local race in 1983. raced pretty regularly across distances from 84-91. I've probably done about 60-70 over the years with a 15 year hiatus from 91-2006. Been slowly getting back the last 5 years, but still haven't raced much due to family and work. That should be starting to change as I get back in better shape and hopefully lighten my work load over the next 5 years.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'"August 1980. I still have the race flyer and my medal from the 1st Tinman Triathlon (1 mi - 55mi - 20K) in Menomonie Wisconsin."

I did that race a couple of times.....I had no idea it went back that far in history!
Quote Reply
Re: How far back in tri history do some of you go? [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifan wrote:
About 1984 in Chattanooga as well, although at the time it was called the Bencor Riverbend Triathlon. The oldest shirt I still have is from the same race but in 1987. Did a Bud Lite race near Knoxville the same year. Def Lepard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was a big hit at the time.

The full name in '86 was indeed the "Bencor Riverbend Triathlon". The Knoxville Bud Lite race was the Fort Loudon Triathlon, IIRC. I did that one several times also.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe my first race was the coronado roads triathlon in coronado ca in 1979. It was bike/swim/run in 6ft surf in front of the island. I won by a couple seconds over a guy named Scott Tinley, and he had been doing tris for a couple years already, so he probably could come here and shut this thread down. But until that happens i will take the honor of the T-rex of tri.

And i would be shocked if Brian Rhodes has over 1000 multisport races, unless he started at like 10 years old. I figure i have just over 700 or so, and i'm a lot older than he is, but anything is possible i guess..

And i can't remember for sure, but i think i may have won your first big race there in bakersfield, it was either that one or in 1983. I have the newspaper article somewhere, but if you have the results you know already..
Quote Reply

Prev Next