Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How far are you willing to go for aero?
Quote | Reply
Last week I was at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs instructing staff on proper aero testing techniques as well as working with atheltes on position and aero testing. I posed the following question to Gary Sutton, coach of the World Champion Women's Pursuit Team...If I could show you a UCI legal position which was 40 watts faster aerodynamically, but would take months of adaptation for the athlete's power to return, would you be willing to place your atheltes in that position?

This topic just came up in a thread about aero helmets and visibility. A pic of the op, Andrew, shows a pretty radical position, but it's a position he seems to find comfortable, powerful, and very aero. As a former client of mine, I know how much the op's position has changed over time; his position has evolved into something most of us would consider "going too far." It is by no means conventional. I've seen this before, and one only has to spend a short amount of time on the Time Trialing Forum to see what athletes dedicated to getting into the most aero position are capable of achieving. My personal aero hero is Dean Phillips out of Fitwerx in Boston. Without giving too much away, Dean is 6'3", 210lbs, but has the lowest CdA I've ever recorded for a male of any size. In fact, since I know the drag numbers, I can tell you he's easily 20 watts more aero than the last 3 Elite Time Trial World Champions. It's a position (UCI legal) he's worked on for many years, and if I recall correctly, he loses ~40 watts every year when he first contorts himself into it. Over the course of a few months, his power slowly returns.

Now, I can show people how to achieve these positions, and have had a few age groupers try it out with success, but they go into it knowing: 1. they'll lose power and have to work to get it back (but it does usually come back), and 2. it will take time to adpat for comfort. The issue is time. It will take time. Sometimes, though, it won't work, and so the time will be wasted.

So, how far are you willing to go? How much time and effort are you willing to give? Would you give up several months of results to possibly get faster in the end? Or, like Andrew, are you willing to evolve your position over time? Years? What do you think a pro rider would be willing to do? I'll tell you right now. They're not willing to give up that time. Not yet, anyway, and I can't blame them for being reticent. But if I showed them 20 athletes who achieved a drastic drag reduction, would that change their minds? I won't tell you the answer Mr. Sutton gave me, but I will say it's age groups atheltes who are on the cutting edge of positioning and aerodynamics. Don't look to the pro peloton or top triathletes. They're simply getting the most out of conventional positioning. They are by no means pushing the envelope of what's possible.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power-to-drag is what I care about. If my power drops but my drag drops even more, that's a win. If my drag drops but my power drops even more, that's a loss.

If my drag drops and my power drops even more but I have a "reasonable" expectation that my power will recover enough so that my power-to-drag is better on net, then I'll go for it as long as "reasonable" means something in the ballpark of "more likely than not." Every individual is different, but it would still help if I had some idea of the probability distribution. But then I'm kinda used to decision theory, and not everyone is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the OP on the other thread, I suppose I should be the first to chime in.

First, I'll say that I'm weirdly flattered to be thought of as "going too far." This post from Jim@ERO has made my week!

Second, it's a really interesting question. Because even as someone who might have "gone too far," I'm not sure I would have said yes to that question. I've made a lot of incremental changes to my position over the last 9 years. At no point did I feel like I was sacrificing power to get lower and longer. Now, I may *have* been, but I've never felt like it. My race power across all distances has increased over that time period, although maybe it hasn't increased as much as it would have with a more conservative position. But as RChung said, my power-to-drag also seems to be increasing since my bike splits are dropping.

Here is my position from 3 years ago when I went down to see Jim:

And here's the photo from my last trip to the velodrome a few months ago (from the other thread):

I'm happy to give numbers (weight, height, power from recent races and CdA, though it's just an estimate assuming a reasonable RR), but maybe I should withhold them for now while people form their judgments.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asellerg wrote:

Here is my position from 3 years ago when I went down to see Jim:
And here's the photo from my last trip to the velodrome a few months ago (from the other thread):

I don't mean to be snarky, but.....

You start with a position where your helmet is sticking way the hell up there. Then you go to a position where your helmet is still sticking way the hell up there, but you've curled up like an over-cooked prawn to compensate for it. Now the arch in your back is higher than the helmet, which seems kinda pointless.

A much more obvious solution would be get a better helmet and figure out a way to drop your head without the "prawn curl."

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: May 1, 18 21:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew: Jim said in that other thread that you test your position with your own software. Can you say more about that?
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, I think I might adopt Overcooked Prawn as my new nickname.

You're not wrong. The numbers I have tell me that this position is faster, but it doesn't really look like it. And your solution is basically what I was asking for in the other thread: helmets with good visibility for a front tuck. When I turtle with most of the well-known fast aero helmets I can't see. Any suggestions for better helmets? Otherwise I'm stuck with the Evade.

Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure thing, no secrets there: it's using your VE method :-). I also use a WASP to transmit the power and speed in real-time. I haven't done much productionization of it, though, because I'm anticipating whatever aero stick comes out (hopefully soon) will make it obsolete.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get Coady on here to post his position, too. You're both good examples of pushing the limits of positioning, though both of you have done it over time, not cold turkey.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Don't look to the pro peloton or top triathletes. They're simply getting the most out of conventional positioning. They are by no means pushing the envelope of what's possible.
This applies to more than aero. They are after all mobile billboards. And yes the best I've worked with in terms of looking at all possible aero benefits have all been amateurs/masters.

Institute riders you'd think would be better placed but there is a lot of conservatism and other factors at play as I discovered when I offered to assist here in Australia.

Gary is a great guy BTW and he's having some good early success over there. Best wishes to him.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While getting his head lower has certainly lowered his drag, if you look at that picture it's how he's narrowed his shoulders that's also done wonders for him. Narrow is aero.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Get Coady on here to post his position, too. You're both good examples of pushing the limits of positioning, though both of you have done it over time, not cold turkey.
And to reinforce what you are saying, the ones that find the best outcomes recognise it's an ongoing iterative process that can take quite some time and they commit to that.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have summoned him!

Also, I thought more about your question. Who am I kidding? My answer is an unequivocal yes. In fact, I'm probably going to email you off-thread to hear the rest of this story.

I think what it comes down to is I have some general sense of what the upper limit of my engine is. I'm never going to be averaging 4 W/kg for a half Ironman. If I want to be on the pointy end of races, I'm going to have to be unconventional. And if I fail for myself, I've still gathered knowledge that will help me improve as a coach.

Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, and I find myself more and more willing to take my clients in that direction. Let's not think of fit as a single appointment where you get you final fit coordinates. Let's instead look at it as an ongoing process.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep hoping someone will come up with something better. It's kind of gratifying but also kind of unsettling that it hasn't happened already.

Some riders think that fitting is a one-time deal. Some fitters think that a flat back is equivalent to a low-drag position.

Being able to measure drag, and do it over time and over many small changes, is an eye-opener.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:

Being able to measure drag, and do it over time and over many small changes, is an eye-opener.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I'm in a very unique position having my fit studio inside the velodrome. I can take someone down on the track for a few minutes for a quick test, make some changes to their position, and then quickly test again when finished. This could work for a full fit, or just small tweaks. I can validate the changes for the client very easily without the need (or cost) for a full aero test appointment. The question is how much to charge for such a service? If it's an add-on to a full fit, or a quick 1 hour fit adjustment, I'm not sure what that's worth, especially since there are additional costs for track time and paying Garmin/Alphamanits for using their system.

I'm also thinking a la carte testing would be beneficial. Just want to test one helmet over another? No problem, we can do two runs with each helmet in less than 30 minutes. I think that would be a great service to offer. Again, not sure what that cost would be.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of athletes are interested in aero with fit, but there’s still a lot of education needed for what can and can’t be achieved in a single session, that it’s an iterative process to get close to optimum, and that that optimum can evolve over time too.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s hard to improve conservation of energy. :)

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's definitely a testament to the simplicity of your method. In fact, the hardest part for me is booking track time at the Hellyer Velodrome. I've tried a few of the places you suggested (like the Bay Trail), but the data from the velodrome is just so much cleaner.

And yes, now that my eyes have been opened by how much the small things matter, I'm constantly dissatisfied with my fit and my equipment choices. To outsiders, I describe it as curiosity, but underneath that, it's a form of self-loathing :-).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my case, you'd better make it about as expensive as Bay Area rent because if you offer it, I may just come live in your fit studio. We can test the effect of a month without showering on aerodynamics!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing the least bit unconventional about the position in the pic you reference is how much apparently he has to arch his back to achieve it. The overall drop, etc., are certainly nothing out of the ordinary. Are you saying that is the key to his low drag, vs. simply an inability to roll his pelvis forward?

As for your question, I have experimented with various positions, but never found one that was slower initially, but eventually was faster. That may be because I grew up pedaling my bike through flat corn fields against Midwest winds, so spent lots of time with my nose on the slammed stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 re. his starting position. The only difference between that and the standard hands-on-hoods roadie position is the width of his arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim,
I think its really interesting that you bring this up... Its something I was just thinking about this weekend after my race @ St. As. I started my "aero" journey with you and Brian stover about 3 years ago. I showed up to aerocamp with a bike I'd never been on , and fit somewhat close to this.

We dropped my front end (a lot ) and you told me I'd get used to it. My power dropped pretty immediately, by 40-50w... but my cda was down from 0.28 to 0.24 or so, so I deemed worth it... surely some of it would come back . after about 3 months, I wound up replacing my cranks down to 165 (from 172 and raising my front end from where we left it. This was enough to let me start building some power back. By the end of year 1 , I looked like :

Knowing I was going to see brian, again in the tunnel.. And knowing that Jim had been talking about raising my hands, I built custom components for my felt IA, that let me angle my aerobars. We tested in the tunnel, and in thoery I had a position that got me down to a 0.220. My FTP was still not where it had been (mid low 270s vs high 280s, but I was definitely faster).

It took me a while to get those parts all dialed in, and to get used to that position. Over year 3, I really got used to where my head needed to be.

Since then , I've focused a lot on smaller things(tires, body position, shoes, pedals, finally bought a disk, etc) from an Aero perspective.

I also have a new coach. Together with her, we've built my FTP back up above where it ever was (295) .
That said, this weekend @ St. Anthony's I rode 1:02:xx(from the mount line) on 208w (Yeah, I know , super low for that ftp... coming off a huge block, for me... and just didnt have it on race day)... but it was fast... and its the 2nd race that comes out roughly a 0.205 if I throw it into BBS aero analyzer.

Anyway, It took roughly 3 years for me to fully get used to my new positions, with a cda in the 0.20 -0.21 range and have my power back above where I started.

All it took was time, learning some CAD, 3 printing, a visit with jim, a visit with desertdude at thte tunnel, plenty of time on the local velodrome in Queens NY to test.. and constantly checking my headposition on rides :) . but, I'm pretty psyched where its all wound up.
Last edited by: dcohen24: May 2, 18 4:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes... my position has changed over the last 10 years pretty much constantly. I've tried a lot of things, been to the tunnel twice, and done about as much aerolabbing as is possible.
On the road I'm in the .19x, on the track slightly higher due to comfort for my target event. (both UCI legal, I suspect it'd be lower if I didn't have to stop at 80cm) It required a very large drop in power vs. road position. So much so that I began second guessing it and thinking it was too far. That was riding the position 2-3x / week with the rest on my road bike.
Riding it 6-7x/week brought power back in line with the road bike... turns out specificity is important.

There are a lot of fast positions that look terrible. The eyeball wind tunnel isn't reliable (at least not always) and when it's wrong, it can be by a lot. I look like shit compared to some aesthetically pleasing fits... but I only care what the wind thinks I look like. TEST TEST re-TEST, verify. Don't discount other (smart) folks opinion, but don't accept that they know your body or what you can/can't do better than you do just because they say so. Obree would have never been world champion if he'd listened to that kind of advice.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How far are you willing to go for aero? [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

And to reinforce what you are saying, the ones that find the best outcomes recognise it's an ongoing iterative process that can take quite some time and they commit to that.

Oh no, you're completely wrong, all you need is an hour on a fit bike with a professional and boom, you have your fit magical fit coordinates and off you go to compete in triathlons with your super duper 0.28 CdA!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How far would I go for aero"?
- sell my kids on ebay

However, I seem to be constrained by frame geometry

My winter experiment was to build the most aggressive bike I could. I bought a 2013 (but brand new) QR Illicito and slammed it right down.

But after several weeks I went back to the small Dimond, just because the ride quality is so enjoyable (and therefore more likely that I maintain aero all the time). In my non-scientific test (riding a known loop at threshold power), the Dimond was about 45 sec faster (8 min segment) so it was both faster and more comfy. So the position that looked "faster" actually seemed slower.

As you can see, I could probably be a bit lower up front, but I'm completely slammed. I think only a Canyon or Pinarello would give me a better position, but Canyon has no inventory and Pinarello is a second mortgage!

So Jim, if you could make me more aero I would invest the time, but with my body we seem to be frame-constrained.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Last edited by: robgray: May 2, 18 5:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next