Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you protect your Garmin on the MTB?
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Garmin Out Front Mount "flipped" so that the computer sits over my stem. But after cracking the screen in a crash last weekend, I'm looking for alternatives.

I've already ordered a silicone skin & screen protector (neither of which would have helped in this case), and I've switched to a standard "disc" mount with computer sitting on the top tube, right behind the head tube, and the rubber o-rings wrapped around the top tube. It seems solid and should be well protected. It does make it a little hard to see "on the fly", but I think I could live with this location on the MTB since I don't check my Garmin nearly as often as when road/gravel riding.

Does anyone mount theirs in this location? Any issues I haven't realized?

If anyone has a different location that's equally as well protected, but makes viewing easier, I'm all ears...

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: How do you protect your Garmin on the MTB? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always only ever used the ordinary mount on the stem, crashed plenty including lots of over the bars. Sounds like it was sort of a freak unusual thing, but the regular Garmin mount gives a little because of the rubber bands, unlike an out-front mount that's more rigid.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my XC bike I mount my 520 on my stem, whereas on my all mountain bike (much shorter stem) I use the SRAM mtb mount (attaches to handlebar but faces "backwards"). I've crashed plenty, but my Garmin has only come off one time. Some mtb'ers I know put an extra rubber band under the mount and then use that to hold the Garmin even tighter in case of a crash, but I've never felt that was necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my watch. Don't need to see the data when mountain biking and definitely don't need to be distracted by it.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this is an option for you, but I leave the steerer tube a little long above the stem - about 20mm of spacers on top of the stem, and none underneath. With that extra height, it gives the impact somewhere to hit other than the face of the Garmin. It's kind of like a little roll cage for your Garmin.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do I protect it? By not crashing...I'm too old for that shit ;-)

Seriously though, I use the SRAM MTB specific mount that's intended to come back behind the bar and mount over the stem...it's slightly shorter and beefier than the out front mount as well. Looks like this:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply