Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas?
Quote | Reply
When I first started triathlon 8 years ago I was as buff and ripped as I ever have been. I was lifeguarding so I was more into weightlifting and looking good than going fast.

I luckily kept this physique for quite a while, then a couple of years ago I had an appendicitis. During the healing process I developed extra fat around my waist and I have never been able to get rid of it to the point where it was before.

I almost look kind of funny beacauce I have a four-pack and then you cannot see my lower abs because of this extra BF. How do you "concentrate" on this one section?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas? [konabro2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't spot reduce fat. You'll need to work on the muscles underneath to get more definition.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have read many places that you can't lose fat from a specific area so to speak. But perhaps you need to focus on lower abdominal work. This could strengthen and tone that area and help to help your 6 pack.

------------------------------------------------------------
"One thing I have found there are just two ways to go
It all comes down to livin' fast or dyin' slow"- Robert Earlk Keen Jr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyposuction..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scapel

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas? [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's true you can not spot reduce, unless they rewrote the laws of exercise physiology recently. I'd worry more about your body fat % as that is a better indicator of overall health. But I do understand the desire to be sporting the ultabuff ripped make it easier to pick up chicks look.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does one "loose" body fat?

Unscrew it, maybe?

Pry it out with a flat object?

Twist it really hard. Counter-clockwise is usually the best direction.

These are just a few ways in which I loosen things around the house. I'm sure others have good suggestions to add to the list.

Aeromon (Aerobic Monster) - Pokomon's evil endurance junkie twin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no exercise you can do to "spot train" or lose body fat in a particular area.

Overall body composition should be your goal instead of trying to obtain a certain "look." In fact, alot of the body types we see as "healthy" in fact are not natural or healthy at all. Trying to obtain a certain look can be an unhealthy pursuit.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas? [Rip Van Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone already beat you to the liposuction joke. Can't say it's not funny the second time around though. ha ha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the wonderful world of post-childbirth physique. I have no idea how to get that stuff off; I'm holding out for food poisoning or some other dread disease which causes me to not eat for days. I think that's my only hope.

When I lived in Dallas (cosmetic surgery capital of the world), I did know this very skinny woman who liposuctioned off that fat. Seemed extreme to me, since regular clothing usually masks the flaw.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas? [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has the "can't spot-reduce" hypothethis ever been tested? I think it's more of an assumption than a fact. I don't think it's a coincidence that the parts seem to accumulate fat first are the ones that don't move much.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
come to terms that you're becoming old, fat, and decrepid. you'll lose that weight after they bury you. a little fat helps you float better, like an on-board wetsuit. werd.

http://www.barefootrunning.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go on a diet.

I've always been a skinny guy, but after losing 5 pounds off my former weight (now I'm 6'2", 168#), I found a six-pack I never knew I had.

If you get skinny you'll go faster, too. But lose it gradually, and make sure you're not losing any muscle.

--Vimalakirti

"It is a designation, a description, an appellation, nothing but a name. But in the final analysis, the ultimate sense, there is no Person to be found herein. . ." --The Questions of King Milinda
Quote Reply
Spot reducing [konabro2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your body decides where to keep the fat that it keeps. It's usually not in line with your personal preferences.

While no exercise in particular can change that profile, if your body fat percentage is not moving despite a caloric deficit (BMR + exersize > consumption) then there's something metabolically wrong.

There are several things that could be at fault, from thyroid to liver to adrenals and on and on. Some of this can be fixed by balancing your diet, some by using a chelation process to remove heavy metals, some by detoxifying the organs, utilizing diet.

I'm no expert on the specifics, but I know a guy who is. I've seen people dieting and exercising and gaining fat, and then there's the guy who looks great even though he eats too much. If all the internal processes are working correctly than your body should look more athletic with each passing year in the sport. If that's not happening, I'd start having some things checked, starting with thyroid and adrenals.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas? [Rip Van Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not so sure it's a fact myself. Certain drugs like prednisone can cause fat accumulation in specific areas so theoretically at least other drugs with effects antagonistic to those drugs should cause reduction in those specific areas when combined with suitable caloric intake.

Without that sort of pharmacological manipulation the best method is careful selection of your parents, surgery, or getting your body fat really really low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read you could do liposuction, or perhaps, if ya train alot and watch what you eat a lot, after all the thinner areas lose fat then the "fatter" area will slowly give up its fat deposit. Read that somewhere too.

Personal experience..thats how it seemed to happen for me over the past 8 months or so..

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas? [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if you want to reduce your supraclavicular fat ("Buffalo hump") stop taking prednisone. Otherwise there is no method short of surgery to selectively reduce bodyfat in certain areas.

Wasn't there a study where they measured the bodyfat of dominant vs. non-dominant arms of pro tennis players and found them to be the same, though one arm did a lot more work than the other?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two 50 mile runs per week for 10 weeks should have you skinny as a rail, if not in the psycho ward, dead, or with a permanent injury.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't recommend 2 50 mile runs a week because of the injury risks but you might manage a couple of long cycles!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas? [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sort of specifik area weight loss can be achieved by avoiding alcohol and stress. Both influence fat accumulation in the abdominal region, primarily by triggering hormone production.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas? [kreutzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason you can't spot reduce fat is that the process that mobilizes fat from fat cells to the blood to be carried to the working muscles is hormonally controlled. Therefore when you are running and your legs need more fuel your body will release a hormone into the bloodstream which allows fat to be transported from fat cells all over your body to the working muslces.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you loose bodyfat from specific areas? [Scottgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which doesn´t change anything about my statement. I totally agree with you with regard to exercise and fatmetabolism, but there is enough evidence to proof that at least alcohol and stress triggers abdomimal fat accumulation through increased cortisoleproduction. Some studies at the John Hopkins University even suggest saturated fat to increase abdominal fat.

Regards

Martin
Quote Reply

Prev Next