Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you know which one
Quote | Reply
Chris posted a question asking about which bikes to look at and got a typical type of answer, which was get the one that fits you best. How the hell do you know which ones fit the best. If I understand correctly I could test ride the perfect bike for me but if it is set up wrong by the LBS how would I know. I remember reading a post by someone that Tom's shop takes a lot of measurements and can give you an idea what bikes might fit best. Is this type of information out there for the rest of us or do need to go to Michigan to get it. Hell, I'd be curious if I'm even on the right size frame. When I bought my bike the guy asked how tall I was and I said 5'11" and he told me I needed a 56cm frame and that was it. The fitting lasted a grand total of 5 minutes where he adjusted the saddle height and that was it. Is there some resource out there where you can take measurements and get an idea of a direction you need to go?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you know which one [weak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How the hell do you know which ones fit the best?"
  1. Don't compare bikes, compare bike shops.
  2. Find a fitter you trust, then trust him(her).
  3. Do what they say.
  4. Done.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USA Cycling has a description of the basic fit parameters. Someone posted the link on this board. But if you peruse USA Cycling, you should find it. It is not a subsitute for professional fit, but it is FREE and a good starting point.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any Serotta fitter (or FIST fitter) can give you a chart with the "ideal/optimum" geometry for a frame for you. Once you have that data, you can read over the geometry on various frame makers sites. That will help to narrow down. Then buy one of the frames you've narrowed it down to from a respected bike shop.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: How do you know which one [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be nice if there was one I trusted. there are several in town but it appears that the same person may own a couple of shops. It looks like there is basically 3 guys who own a couple of shops. 1 I bought my bike from. The other I went in and was talking with the owner and told him I was thinking about getting a soloist and he asked my height to and told me I needed a 58(just so happens the only soloist they had was a 58). I think I must ooze ignorance or something. I think I've learned more about position by looking at the critique my bike fit threads than anything. By the way no one told me the damn front tire and fork would fall off when I took the cap off to flip the stem, man that scared me. I feel like I need to get educated so I can weed out the bs.
Quote Reply