Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do you guys riding higher speeds on surprisingly low watts know your Powermeter isn't reading low? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
My point is there that anyone claiming anything is just "trusting marketing" until a company posts their actual protocol in a way that's independently verifiable.

Or you have tested multiple units yourself (we can debate how large of a sample size you need to get a good "read").
Quote Reply
Re: How do you guys riding higher speeds on surprisingly low watts know your Powermeter isn't reading low? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
goodboyr wrote:
Please give me details on the work you are doing to help the industry go forward with standardized testing.

You mean aside from having spent hours on conference calls with Garmin's ANT+ folks, gratis? I have to admit, not much...but unlike, e.g., Ray, I don't make my living by blogging about power-measuring devices. I therefore think your question is better directed at him.

Nope. I asked you....and I got my answer. Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you guys riding higher speeds on surprisingly low watts know your Powermeter isn't reading low? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
trail wrote:

My point is there that anyone claiming anything is just "trusting marketing" until a company posts their actual protocol in a way that's independently verifiable.

Or you have tested multiple units yourself (we can debate how large of a sample size you need to get a good "read").

Right. Someone can come up with their own test, and then test a bunch of PMs on the same test rig in order to learn how they compare against each other. But no one's really done that.

My point is that no one can replicate "1%" using the SRM metric until SRM tells us what it means. Does it include temperature, variation, how accurate does the test equipment have to be, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you guys riding higher speeds on surprisingly low watts know your Powermeter isn't reading low? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Again, mere insinuation using weasel words. You introduce the thought he may be biased without concrete evidence that he is.

Exactly my intent, I introduced that he is a SRM retailer and therefor the potential bias when discussing merits of SRM products. It also potentially gives him the benefit of being a subject matter expert. Sword sharp on both sides type of thing.

echappist wrote:

Let's take the premise that a srm dealer is a biased person as true (which it clearly isn't), how do the fact that a) he also sells other PM and b) he doesnt profit from the selling change the situation? Do you want him to list all the companies for which he act as a conduit to satisfy your urge for transparency? That your reaction is still "he's may be biased" as opposed to addressing either a) or b) as he has stated is indicative of confirmation biases of your own. This isnt a case of a non-fiduciary financial adviser pushing some horrible product to take a commission and you acting as the white knight warning your elderly parents that the unctuous banker at the local branch may have ulterior motives.

If I were at the bar and a Ford sales person was espousing the performance and features of the Mustang then I would suspect he has potential bias. It really doesn't matter to me if he also sales other car models OR if he isn't a good salesperson w/r to profit. I don't see why you are getting so wound up here.

echappist wrote:

And since you are so keen on making others be transparent, what is to say your own quips are without bias? C'mon now, disclose your own affiliations, meters you might have used, and any experiences dealing with faulty equipment. I've been forthcoming disclosing my experiences upthread (though i really don't need to), and for a person alleging appearance of conflict of interest, you ought to at least do the same yourself.

I'm not a retailer for any type of product so there are no possible associated bias. I do get my team kit for free and we have a beer sponsor.... so at the time I discuss the performance/merits/opinion of Saku Beer or Champion System clothing I'll say so.

echappist wrote:

And while we are at it, this is a semi-private internet forum, and there are valid reasons why one would not want to disclose one's retail connections. Some people are plainly too much PITA and go into purchase inquiries thinking that you ought to provide "bro deals" as a matter of right. @Tetonrider also doesnt need all the inquiries as his time is highly valued and just doesnt need the drain on his time. He also does coaching; should he state that whenever he makes a post about training recommendations? Some of us here wish to remain private citizens and wish to avoid publicity if at all possible.

I didn't ask for any of his personal details or business details. He can keep his privacy. A simple... "and I sell/service/use powermeters and SRM is one of my retail brands" is good enough for me.

echappist wrote:

N.B. lest you think disclosure statement, per se, would somehow improve discourse, i'll just point to the way that Mr. Rapp has behaved (see links to posts upthread) in his defence of Quarq. He was a sponsored rider at the time (if not now) and was incensed that i dared to criticize Quarq, effectively calling me a liar. The problem was a well known issue for Quarq, but he gets to throw his weight. Have you applied the same level of scrutiny to him? Where were you in that exchange calling out the conflict of interest (you've been on this board for 9 years)? You actually posted in the thread that referenced to the thread in which Mr. Rapp posted; why didn't you chime in? Why is it that you have more than 1800 posts here but have yet used the word "bias" in only one of the posts and directed at only one person? You seem like a nice enough guy, so why don't you disclose all your PM and email records so we know that you are a fair and impartial arbiter? It's only the logically consistent request in the name of "transparency."

Yes, Jordan should disclose who his sponsors are. This helps me make a personal value judgement on his comments and opinions.

I never claimed to be fair and impartial and don't think anyone else has to be on this forum. I just think it is important if you are a retailer for a product to list that bit of information if you are going to make comments on the product. Pretty simple in my opinion, maybe you read my comment with far to much snark and malice.
Last edited by: Pantelones: Nov 2, 16 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: How do you guys riding higher speeds on surprisingly low watts know your Powermeter isn't reading low? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<being purposefully obtuse>

If Andy reached out to people smarter than him and actually listened to them than he might realize his white paper ideas, can't stand up to the strength of peer review ideas and he's becoming irrelevant at a rate faster than the GOP.

dcrainmaker wrote:

1) As a general rule in life, when there are smart people that are experts on certain aspects of a topic, I like to chat with those smart people. I find that doing so usually yields interesting things. Both Tom and Robert have reached out and discussed ideas in the past. They have ranged from producing interesting graphs for certain power meters, to adding ideas for testing in general. I don't always agree with everything they state, and that's OK. I'm not sure I "had to reach out" for anything, I just think it's better to chat with smart people than live in a small bubble of my own thoughts.

dcrainmaker wrote:
As an aside - where's your published side by side accuracy data on all the power meters in the market today? I may have missed it.

Or ask where FTP is in the accepted exercise physiology literature. Oh wait, my bad, it's not!!

</being purposefully obtuse>

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: How do you guys riding higher speeds on surprisingly low watts know your Powermeter isn't reading low? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
<being purposefully obtuse>

If Andy reached out to people smarter than him and actually listened to them than he might realize his white paper ideas, can't stand up to the strength of peer review ideas and he's becoming irrelevant at a rate faster than the GOP

Congratulations. You're being too obtuse for me.

MarkyV wrote:
where FTP is in the accepted exercise physiology literature. Oh wait, my bad, it's not!!

Sure it is. Only difference is, there it goes by numerous aliases, e.g., power @ MLSS, power @ VT2, power @ RCP, power @ iEMG threshold, power @ NIRS breakpoint, etc.

IOW, my coining of the term "FTP" was simply a pedagogical construct to encourage coaches and athletes to stop worrying about the underlying physiology and instead focus on what really matters to them, which is performance (I.e., the integrated result of the underlying physiology) itself. The widespread adoption of the term in the applied realm (more rapid/widespread than, e.g., critical power) speaks to the efficacy of this approach.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Nov 3, 16 18:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh great. You boys brought your "wattage" virus over to this thread and infected it. Totally OT and self serving. Goodbye.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you guys riding higher speeds on surprisingly low watts know your Powermeter isn't reading low? [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goodboyr wrote:
Oh great. You boys brought your "wattage" virus over to this thread and infected it. Totally OT and self serving. Goodbye.

For what its worth, this is a different Mark, and I've left the wattage list since its so horrible*

Mark

* assuming this was aimed at me, if not then apologies!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you guys riding higher speeds on surprisingly low watts know your Powermeter isn't reading low? [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. Did not know. But still, you dropped the bait, and he went for it..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
The widespread adoption of the term in the applied realm (more rapid/widespread than, e.g., critical power) speaks to the efficacy of this approach.

Yeah, now there's a huge mess out there that I have to clean up with every new athlete that I acquire that overly bought into it. i.e. the myopic pursuit of points rather than balanced approach fitness and over cooking themselves.

You could do yourself a huge favor and get out of the way of the future. I can't believe you rail against the GOP and conservatives so strongly yet your behaviour in this area is directly akin to their's in the political arena. If you are so concerned with "pedagogical construct to encourage coaches and athletes to stop worrying about the underlying physiology and instead focus on what really matters to them" yet are aware of the masses misconstruing your point (paraphrasing "not my fault" displayed here and on wattage) than maybe you should change your approach?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply

Prev Next