Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do I remove a compression plug?
Quote | Reply
I'm raising the stem on my road bike and I want to raise the steerer tube compression plus as well (Easton carbon steerer tube). How do I do this? I've loosened the screw that causes the compression plug to expand, but I don't know how to raise it without causing the plug to expand (and thereby preventing me from raising the plug).
Last edited by: jhendric: Feb 10, 05 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: How do I remove a compression plug? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowly...and DONT lube it...seen people do that and then they never get tight again.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on how tight it's in there, you might not be able to. if it won't come out, the simplest solution is to push it farther down the steer tube and put another one on top of it. It might be wise to do this anyway, to avoid potential damage to the steer tube.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something sounds fishy.

There are (2) adjustments....one to "vise" the plug to the steerer and the other to "compress" the stem/headset, typically using a 1mm difference in allen key.

It seems you might have only loosened the compressor, not the "vise"......
Quote Reply
Re: How do I remove a compression plug? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I've loosened the vise. I can move the vise up-and-down, but I can't pull the part that expands against the steerer tube out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I re-read your question and a lil confused. Is the plug stuck? If so, my guess is that your plug had an elastic ring which melted to the steerer or someone over-torqued it. I'd try rattling it loose..otherwise I don't have any tricks.

If it isn't stuck are your question is only regarding position, that is all taken care off after you've raised your stem (I'm assuming with spacers). The re-installation is auto-correcting.....vise, then compression.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got it out. MacGuyver would be proud. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duct tape, bubble gum or vise grips? ;o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A small screw and some twine, actually.

Pull up from here

|
|
|
|
|
__|__

Wedge beneath plug