Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do I focus on one sport?
Quote | Reply
I want to change up my training. I am looking to do a 3 week focus on one sport to improve. I have seen this done before but cant seem to find any info on it. I need to knwo more about what percentage of volume should increase and what abot intensity. The other main thing is how much do i need in the other sports to atleast maintain. I( am a short course guy so it is nto just maintaining aerobic base. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How do I focus on one sport? [nos306stang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be best to get a bit of a back ground, but to answer your question - just focus on one sport and don't worry about the other. May be do the other ones 1 - 2 times a week, but just focus on the one sport.

Many are paranoid that their fitness in the de-emphasized sports will fall to zero, but many are shocked that they actually loose very little and the gains in the sport of focus are significant.

The nice little balanced programs that every gets from their coaches these days to start out are good for that - just starting out. However, they don't offer enough overload in individual sports to really and dramatically improve performance in that sport.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: How do I focus on one sport? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been in the sport 2 years and i have decent speed. low 18's for a 5k, 6:00 400 yd pool swim, and 23mph avg for a 10 mile bike. That being said my body loves volume, especially on the bike and swim. I havent really appiled high volume to running yet, just 30 miles or so. Even on my speed work days i stillput up a good amount of volume. I have played around with lower volume higher intensity but that doesnt work. The more i look at what i am typing the less a focus seems right for me. what do you think?
Quote Reply
Re: How do I focus on one sport? [nos306stang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it running you want to focus on? If so, it's a good one to focus on for several reasons, chief among those being that many races come down to the run and better run fitness has a big impact on triathlon race performnace all other things taken into consideration.

1. Build frquency: Go from 3 runs a week to 5 or 6 but don't increase weekly volume that much - cut back on the intensity of the harder sessions and just run.

2. Next bump volume up a bit and make one run during the week 20 - 25% longer than the others.

3. Hold this pattern for three weeks and see how you feel. Monitor aches and pains if any crop up. Note that running is perhaps the most stressful of the three sports on the body and the most likley to yield moderate injury issues if you over do it.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: How do I focus on one sport? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just coming off a calf strian so i have been down to like 10-15 miles per week for a month now. I am healed up but not back in shape just yet. I dont want to start it now but lets take running as an example.

typical week of running:

tuesday 6.75 or 8

wednesday 5.5 brick

thursday5.5

friday 12ish

sat 5.5-7 brick

that is similar to what i was doing before injury. what would i need to do to modify this to make it work?
Quote Reply