Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How did you crack your frame? [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
I'm assuming you're referring to the possibility of Litespeed having some frame issues? Absolutely would agree with that just never heard of them having issues like that before. The only person I have known to go through some many frames was super overweight and had no business being on any tri bike that wasn't custom built. After I saw him ride on a trainer I understood...

I am. If you take a look at the profile of the guy with 4 broken bikes, he doesn't look overweight to me, and appears to have done a 10:49 IM.

But that aside, I see seven instances of it on this one thread for one brand. Someone else who had a broken frame posted a link to a photo earlier in this very thread - Now that's scary

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swoo/2299744006/
Last edited by: JoeO: Feb 18, 13 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just warrantied a cracked Specialized Tarmac. Had a crack around where the chainstay and seatstay meet. (right above the der hanger) As easy as could be. Took a picture of the crack and the serial #, sent it to Specialized. And two days later I had a new Venge frame. ( I asked for a venge instead of a Tarmac) To my understanding that seems to be a fairly common place for a crack.

I would give Specialized an A+ for the warranty process

Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
Bigringonly wrote:
Never crashed any of the frames I broke.

Litespeed Ultimate - crack seat tube at bend near front derailluer - replaced

Litespeed Blade - Cracked weld @ top of seat tube - Repaired

Litespeed Blade - Crack in BB weld - replaced
(Blade is still my favorite bike!)

Litespeed Saber - cracked BB - replaced with QR.

Either you are overweight or incredibly unlucky. How on Earth did you crack so many frames?

CAN NOT BELIEVE YOU CALLED ME FAT!?!?!?!?

6'2" / 188

......also have gone through 2 sets of FSA cranks!

Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
188 is borderline fat in terms of bike part longevity =)

drop down to 170, you will run lots faster and spokes and titanium welds will last longer ;)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True! But just thinking about all the things I'd need to give up makes me sad.

Current weight 188.....IM weight = 178 and I get the are you sick ?'s!

170 would make for a good challenge though!
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say you're not out of the woods with a Venge. I work in a Specialized dealer, and three of the Venge's we've sold since they were released, have cracked somewhere between the rear axle and the RIGHT seat stay union with the seat tube. IMHO it's not a question of if, it's when. None of them are even a year old yet. Only one of them was crashed.

edited to change left to right. They all seem to be cracking on the drive side seat stay...
Last edited by: Miguello: May 7, 13 18:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first cracked bike was an old steel Quintana Roo of all things. It cracked in a crash when a buddy landed on me. I broke my skull, pelvis and the bike frame. I still raced on it (didn't notice the cracks until later) and managed a PB at that time. I cracked the seat tube just above the BB and also one chain stay near the weld also.

My second cracked frame was about 6 months ago. I crashed a carbon monocoque Merida in the rain and the ali bit that holds the carbon seat stay, carbon chain stay together, cracked. I"ve fixed it myself (awesome job according to 3 bike mechanics that have looked at it. If you didn't know it had been repaired, you'd think it's original (except for a slight paint colour mismatch). I've ridden the bike for about a month for testing, including riding up and down curbs several times and it performs perfectly.

I repaired a friends damaged carbon chain stay (partial crush of the chain stay thanks to wicked chain suck) that bike got repaired, again almost invisibly, but is only used on the trainer, just to be safe.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgetting the bikes on the roof rack carriers and driving into the garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke my Superfly, top tube and down tube. I managed to slip a hand off the bars (loss of concentration or something) during a race and went down on top of the frame. At least that's what I think happened. Unfortunately I'd only had it a week. Granted this was mtn biking and not on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [Grim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grim wrote:
Forgetting the bikes on the roof rack carriers and driving into the garage.

DC Rainmaker suggests putting your garage door opener somewhere you have to get out of the car to access it (i.e. trunk with wheels, passenger foot area, etc.).
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [Miguello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the SL4's like?
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [Grim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between my wife and I we have crashed 4 times on carbon frames. Once on my S5, three times for her on a Lightspeed C1. No frame damage for either of us.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
What are the SL4's like?

There's only been a couple of carbon Specialized bikes that we've sold (with press fit bottom brackets) that didn't click or creak after a month or so. Shiv's and Venge's included. Spec. has gone so far as to design an epoxy system to try and stop the racket. I am glad I am moving in a month or so, and won't have to deal with it anymore. Unless I work at another Spec. dealer that is.
There's a sleeve type BB that supposedly eliminates the issue, but it's not made by them. The Venge also has dismal cable routing issues, which was solved by crossing the shifter cables at the head tube, and using the Sram/Gore "ride on" cable system. I believe Sram bought the Gore rights to it, because I noticed Sram now has it in their offerings, and the Gore branded kit was suddenly discontinued. From what I have heard the frames were "designed for DI2" so no consideration was taken for smoothness of cable travel. The culprit is right where it exits the frame in the rear, the cable is made to bend at a severe angle, which affects the shifting. I have no doubt they will eventually get all these issues ironed out. I only wish they hadn't done the "testing" at the customers expense.

The Venge is the only model where I have seen any cracking issues, though.

EDIT: I believe this is the sleeve system I saw. The one I saw was black though, so there maybe yet another brand available.

http://www.bikerumor.com/...b30-bottom-brackets/
Last edited by: Miguello: May 8, 13 6:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
I've never crashed a carbon bike, thankfully. Once, I did slam an aluminum Trek at about 40mph but emerged with only a small dent in the TT.

I see pro riders crash in grand tours, get up, and hop back on their bike to continue their screaming descent down some european mountain. I've also heard pro bikers say that frames aren't the thing to worry about upon a crash, but rather the components and wheels.

So it sounds like carbon isn't as fragile as I had made it out to be. But I'm sure some ST'ers have cracked their frames.

How did you do it?

My old 09' Cannondale Six (Not supersix) cracked randomly at the top tube, in a very strange spot. Reason, unknown. That frame was supposed to be nearly unbreakable (thick, heavy carbon).

So how did I break my carbon bike? Bad luck.

Doesn't matter though...I now have a '12 SuperSix that I got as warranty. Dropped like 2 pounds with frame and fork, just this frame and fork is worth more than my whole bike was worth before.

So keep that in mind. Only thing out of pocket I had to pay for was new cables as the new frame was a little different. I'm ok with that.

Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

i have had a frame crack on me to my own stupidity. but from what i am seeing these carbon frames should be pretty durable.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [trix99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be pretty anti-carbon, but a thing of the past. that's a super awesome video, i knew carbon was strong but i didnt know it was that much more superior to aluminum. I had one of the old carbon treks that broke on my birthday one year, i dont have a lot of money so having to throw away an expensive carbon frame kind of scarred me. The fact that carbon repair is an option now has given me a change of heart.
Last edited by: Alecks: May 10, 13 17:01
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [Alecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine destroyed his top tube by sitting on it. He tried to jump out of the saddle hard and I think his chain came off causing his butt to land on the top tube. He didn't go down even though I saw him go into the death wobble, but his Trek Madone frame was toast. I still have no idea how he did that without crushing his balls or breaking his tailbone. He's about 145 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you crack your frame? [trix99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trix99 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

i have had a frame crack on me to my own stupidity. but from what i am seeing these carbon frames should be pretty durable.
Damn!
My next MTB will be a santa cruz carbon for sure!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next