Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How cold is too cold for a kickr?
Quote | Reply
Just bought a kickr v5 and I would like to place it on my glazed balcony. Lately it has been pretty cold and I dont want to damage the electronics so oracles of ST, what is ok and what isn't?
Last edited by: AS88: Dec 4, 21 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: What is too cold for a kickr? [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AS88 wrote:
Just bought a kickr v5 and I would like to place it on my glazed balcony. Lately it has been pretty cold and I dont want to damage the electronics so oracles of ST, what is ok and what isn't?

I leave my snap in a garage that’s 35 f for days at a time. No exposure tho
Quote Reply
Re: How cold is too cold for a kickr? [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This comes up every once in a while, and I've never heard any legit issue in terms of cold specifically and breaking things.

However, there are two considerations:

A) Moisture is really more of a concern So if the unit were to get constant dew/condensation on it, that could long-term be an issue. Certainly sweat gets on it from riding it, but that's a bit different then condensation inside the unit due to severe temp fluctuations, again, long term.

B) Calibration/accuracy: This would actually be the bigger issue, namely if you have big temp swings. The KICKR will auto-calibrate throughout the ride, but if you've got another power meter, maybe chart the two after a ride or two, and see if there's anything concerning there. of course, your power meter is also suspetible to temp swings, so keep that in mind.

Cheers!

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: How cold is too cold for a kickr? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is interesting. The reason I bought the new kickr is that my old one (bought it late 2016 or early 2017) has started to act weird - or so I thought. The power feels unrealistically easy for the first part of the ride and then it "works" its way up. At first I thought it came down to how my legs feel but then I put my Assioma pedals on the bike.

At 200w (erg mode) on the kickr my pedals start out low (it used to be 150 but now it is down to 120 (ish)) and even when I turn the power up, there is still quite the gap. Then throughout the ride the delta gets smaller and smaller and typically after 90min they are within 10 watts.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Quote Reply