Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How can massage make a muscle feel better?
Quote | Reply
Last Sunday I had a problem with my right hamstring, it hurt enough that I had to walk home, 2.5 miles, 25°F on a dirt trail. I had a similar problem with my left over a year ago and saw a physical therapist.

This time I figured I'd wait a few days and see how I feel, Monday I was stiff and that night I massaged the area with my GF's massage gun. I felt noticeably better afterwards. Today while walking around at work I felt much better but still hurt.

When I got home I massaged the crxp out of it again and felt better. Later, while attending my online class I massaged the crxp out of it again and the pain is almost gone. I assumed there was muscle damage from the pain/cramp I had but now it seems to be gone.

How could massage make it feel so much better?

Maybe not muscle tears but compression? Blood flow? Something else?
Quote Reply
Re: How can massage make a muscle feel better? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Psychology mostly.

(There's a much longer explanation of that that I'm not qualified to give, but that's the short answer)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think of it as less for the muscle and more for the nervous system

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - It's all about blood flow which delivers the components needed for recovery.

My son has over-cooked himself in the gym, lifting. He has my Hyper V gun but he's too far gone. Told him this:

1. IMS or needle jabs deep into the muscle really do relax the tortured tissue and opens the blood-gates
2. The high frequency massage gun promotes flow through agitation, similar to the needling effect. Just doesn't go as deep or dramatic as IMS.
2. "Cardio" longer than 45 mins, not too hard, not too slow. Problem is a lot of ppl give it up after 20-30 mins. I found substantial benefit over 45mins.
3. I have found that quality meat, ie a good grass-fed steak helps. That or a muscle recovery supplement
4. Hot salt baths. Not a showstopper but helps when done consistently
5. Low-dose aspirin/ASA helps for long term blood flow. Highly recommend if cleared by doc.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tennis ball, foam roll, or “the stick”. I use them all.

Massage is key! Sometimes it can hurt, but it feels so much better afterward!
Quote Reply
Re: How can massage make a muscle feel better? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like corn fattened beef.
Quote Reply
Re: How can massage make a muscle feel better? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all that replied :)

I'm going to stick with the massage gun for a while. I've even thought about the pain coming from the fascia around the muscle.

Any thoughts on that?
Quote Reply