Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How can I get more aero?
Quote | Reply
I measured my frontal area with bike to be about 0.435 m^2. Using a Cd of 0.7. That corresponds to a CdA of 0.305.

Any constructive tips to getting more aero.

Here are some pictures. Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: How can I get more aero? [therascal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
white background? No messy rooms or garages?

Re: How can I get more aero? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get s-bend bars instead of cervelo standard aerobar

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shave your legs

Lose the saddle hydration

go lower

aero helmet

race wheels

shoe covers

why did you photo shop the picture, ashamed of where you live?

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get more aero? [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW: All my spacers are out and my 10 degree stem is already flipped down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they make 17 degree stems.

if there are spacers under your elbow rests you could remove those.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long did it take you to "white-out" everything???? lost hours of training...
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get more aero? [3forall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I needed to white everything out to calculate my frontal area, and wanted to create an image mask so that I can more easily compare position changes on the side and frontal views.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember that if you calculate your cda to use the position you will use in riding on the road and at the load you will use tt'ing. You can get a pretty narrow profile if you are spinning easy and looking at the floor. it's not all about aero. Comfort/power/aero trade off means there is a wide fluctuation with the fastest being the best mix of all components.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You look good. I'll see you in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get more aero? [yeahitsgotahemi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s-bends are only good for slam position
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get more aero? [Manko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I averaged the calculated frontal area from 5 frontal photos riding at power. I just posted these as an example. If you look carefully, the black and white one is not the same silhouette as the color one.

Just looking to see how I can get more aero. It seems that it would be "easier" to gain speed by becoming more aero as opposed to increasing power which takes more time. Obviously, I'd like to do both.

Of course, there is a tradeoff in aeroness and comfort and power generation. I am comfortable now, but maybe could push it by going slightly lower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't listen to these "low hawks." You are PLENTY low. If you were to relax your shoulder blades, you'd have a damn flat back!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could try moving the elbow pads in.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear sunglasses.

fka: bassman

After the swim, I'm a fish outta water.
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get more aero? [bassman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call Gary T up and get a spot in the fall wind tunnel session in SD. All the eyeball comments from the gallery are worth about what you paid for them. Look at Lance, Floyd, and Tyler. Three of the top TT riders in the world. They all look different and they all could be ripped apart by the folks on this board, yet from what I have read they are all pretty slick in the tunnel and maximise their Watts for the position they ride in.

I don't think a cookie cutter approach like low and narow or try to look like Basso is the end all for positioning. In my opinion Basso is one of the best looking riders in the bunch. I don't think you can possibly figure out your fastest position without some flow studies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post this on biketechreview.com.

You won't get any sense from the fools over here.
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get more aero? [Andy G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyG wrote: Post this on biketechreview.com.

You won't get any sense from the fools over here.

This comment gets the second "AMEN" from me today.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off- it looks like you have a great position. My guess is you're on the larger side to still have an approximate CdA of 0.3.

You could try raising your forearms until the tops are about parallel to the ground. This should result in a slight decrease to your frontal area, and is what John Cobb used to stress at the best arm angle.

I'm not sure going lower will help. That hunch in your back will likely stay in the same place and not result in less frontal area. You can even produce more frontal area with a lower position when your elbows and upper arms begin to get wider than your knees. Of course you could get lower and pull the elbows in, but then you're opening up a few more variables with possible reduced power, comfort, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get more aero? [swimbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll post to biketechreview.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have the bike on a trainer but it does not seem as if there is a riser for the front wheel which makes your front end artificially lower than where it would be on the road which makes me wonder if the calculations presented are valid?

Is there a riser there that I am not seeing? It seems to me as if the top tube is slanting downward.
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get more aero? [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree... nice attention to detail

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my 2 cents. You look great in a static pic, I would work on not gawking while riding. Everytime you look down or up or over you break the aero position. You may already be able to hold your position for a long time if not work on conditioning your body for that.

Being aero is more about riding in the correct position than about having the fancy aero stuff.

Shad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your position looks good to me. It may not be as low as it appears. Looking at the relative positions of your wheels your bike is not level in the picture, rather it is is pointing somewhat "downhill."
I would also add that you should tuck in the helmet strap, anything that flaps around will create drag
Last edited by: Johnny99: Aug 19, 05 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smaller frame... i am 6'2 and ride a 55cm TiPhoon with flat headset cap and no spacers

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply