Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How aero is the old Giant MCR monocoque carbon fiber frameset?
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there remember this bike? It sort of looks like the lotus. Was this bike aero? How did it ride/handle?

Thanks

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: How aero is the old Giant MCR monocoque carbon fiber frameset? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure, but was it not designed by Mike Burrows who also designed the Lotus? Again not sure, but I thought this bike was used to set a world 24 hr. team distance record. It could be assumed to be quite aero. It's a road geometry and they seem to pop up on ebay from time to time.
Quote Reply
Re: How aero is the old Giant MCR monocoque carbon fiber frameset? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was designed by Burrows. I have never seen any testing on this, but with it's slippery shape (and Burows' track record), one could assume it was pretty aero.

If you see one, I would buy it, as it would be a fun bike to have in your stable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the proud owner of said machine for 5 years, I can say that is very aero. In our group rides, I am often coasting while the rider beside me is still pedaling. It is slightly heavy for a full carbon frame (especially with the Giant wheels and stem). However, I have brought the weight down to 19.5 lbs with aero bars, hed 3's and dura-ace (58cm equivalent). It is a very comfortable ride. It does catch some sidewind due to the design but corners well once you get used to the lack of a top tube.
Quote Reply