Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04
Quote | Reply
I have been really busy so I haven't watched much TV or read many magazines lately, but what are the "must have" adult gift(s) or toy(s) of 2004?

I think I'm going big digital (sorta like "big pimpin") this year:

Switching from film to digital and getting the new Canon 20D with the 17 - 85 mm EF-S lens with image stabilization.

Replacing my finicky 128 MP3 player with an Ipod, but can't decide between the mini, 20G or 40G... all cool for different reasons.

Replacing my 6-year old computer with a new multimedia computer with multiple inputs in the front, big drive and processor to handle all this digital stuff.

Any input or comments?

How about the "must have" gift(s) or toy(s) for 8-12 year olds?

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will love that Canon camera. I have three Canon SLR bodies including a EOS10D. I also use the "L" series IS lenses. Absolute five stars *****. My cameras have been through utter hell and come back swinging.

Here is another "must buy" item for a triathlete: The TeNo "SOS" pnedant/necklace thingy. You write your blood type, phone number, name, ID and stuff on the thing and put it inside- the pendant is actually a little threaded container that holds the information inside. Very cool- looks cool too. TeNo does rubber "safety" necklaces that will break away if caught on equipment ot prevent injury. Very cool.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TeNo "SOS" pendant/necklace thingy

Where do we get it, how much?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gifts for 2004?

Easy - Treo 650 phone - part camcoder, PDA, digital camera, "Blackberry". Oh yeah, it's also a phone!

P.S. You'll love the 20D. I talked 2 friends into it already!
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [KatyTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Treo is nice but lacking compared to the Siemens SX66 Pocket PC. Plus the SX66 doesn't need the $300 good software if you run exchange2003.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [damn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get it here:

http://www.suesjewelers.com/...pendants_memoro.html

Not cheap, good gift for a Significant Other.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to buy an SX66 at the AT&T store across from my shop the other day- they don't know when or how much it will be. That thing has everything. The only drawback is our handhelds in the store are all Palm OS system. So I'll be stuck with a non-syncable stand alone, which may not be all bad....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [damn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a google search on TeNo for more resources. There is also some TeNo jewelry on E-Bay.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head gear for my first year of rugby in about ten years. Oh yeah, a new set of shoulders to deal with the tackling and scrum practise would be nice too.

gregvb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am getting a Canon 70-300 image stabilization lens to mate to my EOS digital camera. It is half the weight and half the size of my current 35-350 lens which I had previously loved (one lens did "everything"). Should be great for shooting races and other sports events.

Enjoy your camera.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always wanted a mini-sub.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going digital with your pics you should definately make the step up to a nice new Mac, either the new G5 iMac or a slim sweet Powerbook. iPhoto will handle your photo organization quite well. While you're at it, get the 60GB iPod Photo so you can take all your photos with you everywhere you go and even plug them into someone's TV and show them off with a nice slideshow with cool music. Or you could go for the iPod-mini, very nice, very small and sleek. But the color screen iPod Photo may be better. Anyway, the most important step is going to be switching from Windows to Mac (assuming you are using Windows...)
Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix and is MUCH more stable and secure than Windows. How often do you have to "reboot" your Windows machine? Is it a habit by now? With Mac OS X it becomes very unusual. Also, I'd recomend buying a stun gun or something similar, it'd be fun to show off at the office.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."
-H.D.Thoreau
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I've always wanted a mini-sub.[/reply]

Tom what do you mean by "mini-sub" you mean like LSV-1? with the delivery of the SSN023 scheduled before the new year if might be on ebay early next year :)

-Erik

"I don't half-ass anything. For me its either whole-ass or nothing." -elake
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [amnesiac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powerbooks have crap screens for colour work....trust me, I have one...I also have a G5 double processor 2.0Ghz with 2.5GB of RAM and this is good....for digital photography you will need a good screen....the Powerbook just does not come up to the job.....saying this, most TFT screens are good enough for what you want so you won't have to spend $$$

I totally recommend the MAC OS....let's face it....you don't get as many virus's and bugs, very stable, and Windows just copies it and copies it....

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sydney, age 10 - wants a guitar (acoustic, thank God - found out that her crush plays guitar)

JT, age 8 - anything that will play in his PS2 and guns.

What did your kids ask Santa for?

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [maylene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Sydney, age 10 - wants a guitar (acoustic, thank God - found out that her crush plays guitar)

JT, age 8 - anything that will play in his PS2 and guns.

What did your kids ask Santa for?

Wow... like yours, my 10 year old daughter is also huge into music, and my 8 year old son loves Nintento but he's really gotten into reading and more often than not he's reading when he has free time now.

They haven't really asked for anything, but at Best Buy the other day there was a dance pad hooked up to an Xbox and they "played" it for almost half an hour. I'm thinking about getting one for them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That dance pad is so cool - we used a version of that training ball players. Great for agility! I should put that on my list!

Have a Merry Christmas!

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
please santa... i've been a very good boy...

My 16-month old daughter's must-haves for Christmas are books - especially books that contain dogs... she loves the pictures of dogs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son (10) discovered the dance pad a couple of weeks ago and that is all he has been talking about. Went and bought him one this week. After reading the reviews, I can't wait to give it a try. Sounds like a fun workout. I'm so glad he wants something other than seek and destroy video games.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fenter American Deluxe 50th Anniversary Stratocaster :-) mmmmmm.....
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [TriKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My son (10) discovered the dance pad a couple of weeks ago and that is all he has been talking about. Went and bought him one this week. After reading the reviews, I can't wait to give it a try. Sounds like a fun workout. I'm so glad he wants something other than seek and destroy video games.
Which one and which system? My kids have a Gamecube and I can't seem to find one for that system.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My must have gift is:
A trip to Colorado, 2 feet of fresh every day that Im there, a case of Fat Tire served to me while I recline with the Mrs by a fireplace after a day of mogul bashing.

A big plasma screen TV would be nice also.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm getting my bride a Canon G6 camera as an upgrade to the Nikon Coolpix 2500 we have now. The G6 is an awesome camera for the money(paid $550 on dell.com, best price I have found anywhere.) I was thinking about getting the Digital Rebel SLR, but my photo-geek friends advised me to get a camera that I would carry around and use, not one that just had all the bells and whistles. This was excellent advice given that we have a film SLR camera that has not left the closet in two years, and a cheap digital camera that goes everywhere with us.

As far as the iPod goes, my bride has the 40Gb unit, and she likes it a lot. She doesn't love it, because the advanced features on the Creative Nomad is better, but she's gone through four of those in the past four years(hard drive failures), so she bought the iPod a few months ago.

I'm a big grinch, so I can't tell you about expensive toys for myself(although I'm hoping for a PArk PRS-15 workstand under the tree) but if a) I don't get laid off in Jan., b) I get a bonus this year, and c) prices come done in the Spring, this kid's getting an LCD TV for the wall and putting the home theater components in the closet.(Ooh, another project!)

The real must-have gift for 2004, in the Robin Leach sense of the word, is a solarium off the living room. But I don't think that's happening this year.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How about (non-triathlon related) "must have" gifts/toys for '04 [amnesiac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my old windows laptop was kind of dying, so I went into the store (educational discount) and bought a 12" Powerbook. I'd intended to get a 12" or 14" iBook, but the Powerbook looked so sleek and sexy. and now, I'm going to get an iMac. soon. hopefully before I graduate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard on the news that Ipods are the hottest gift this year. 5 million sold already and apple was only hoping for 4 million this season...I like mine anyway :)

Dan
Quote Reply

Prev Next