Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Much Improvement in Running Possible?
Quote | Reply
I am preparing for my first triathlons (sprint in July, Oly in Sept.). I am also getting ready to run the NYC Marathon in November. I'm the type who likes to plan ahead, so I've been thinking about long-term (multi-year) goals.

I'm hoping to do the marathon in around 4:20 this year. Looking at Jack Daniel's "VDOT" times, that should be achievable given my 5k and 10k times, assuming proper training.

Where can I go from here? How much can one improve from year-to-year? Assuming every year I go through a cycle(s) of recovery/base training/speed training, running no more than 25 miles during non-marathon prep (while also biking and swimming), up to maybe 40-45 miles when I am prepping for a marathon (maybe every fall, maybe every other with a half-marathon the other years).

About how much could I expect to cut from a marathon time each year given my starting point?

In Daniel's book, he talks about maybe improving 4 VDOT numbers every several months (about 20 minutes for a marathon for me; about 2 minutes for a 5k). I would be pleased with doing that each year. Is this a reasonable expectation?

Thanks!

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: How Much Improvement in Running Possible? [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff,

I live in Saratoga. I am just guessing but are you doing Pine Bush and Saratoga Lake for your tris?

Couple of questions for you. How old are you and what is your previous athletic, experience? These will influence how much you can improve and how fast.

Based on starting with a 4:20, you leave room for a tremendous amount of improvement. Even if your physique is not well suited for running (i.e large build), it is quite reasonable for almost anyone to run a 3:20 to 3:30 with proper training, within 2-3 years.

It is hard to comment on the VDOT (basically aerobic power as I recall without hitting the bookshelf) improvements, but realize this is just one area to improve. Strength, flexibility, aerobic endurance and lactic acid tolerance are other areas where can you hope to make gains which will improve your times as well.

If you have the Daniel's book, you are well on your way to a successful plan as it is a great resource.

Just make sure you prioritize your races (pick an A race)

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Jun 22, 04 14:36
Quote Reply