Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How Many Yards is the Ironman Swim for Real?
Quote | Reply
All of the following have me seriously nervous about the IM Florida swim:
  1. I don't have access to the ocean
  2. There seems to be unclear distance terminology among swimmers
  3. I'm training without a wetsuit because the water may be too warm on race day
  4. My Swim Buoy is a pain to lug around but I keep it so I don't get run over by a boat or jet ski and so I can keep my personals with me
I feel like I'm getting my rear end kicked while training for the IM Florida swim... Anyway, I'm sorry to whine or state so many "problems", but the main thing I want to know in this question is how long the IM Swim is. I just feel like whining today I guess...

How many yards long is the Ironman swim for real? There is the swimming mile (which isn't a full mile); the walking mile; and then, there is the nautical mile which is longer than a walking mile. Wikipedia shows the Ironman swim to be 2.4 miles long but how do I translate that to the yards that come back when I upload my eTrex 30x swims to Strava? I think Ironman swim is 2.4 walking miles but for all I know it could be 2.4 nautical miles... I don't know why swimmers think it is okay to "cheat" and call a swim mile (1650 yards), when I'm pretty sure an Ironman swim mile is longer than that...

NOTE: Because my eTrex 30x isn't waterproof, I tote it along in a Swim Buoy. Unfortunately, I sometimes wind up "fighting" with my Swim Buoy when the local "lake/river" gets a little rambunctious. Even so, the local lake or river (whatever it is) can't be anywhere near as wild as Panama City for IM Florida. I'm really sorry if this question has already been asked, but I'm training my rear end off for the IM Florida swim and I'm starting to have serious doubts about my ability to complete it within the required 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Yards is the Ironman Swim for Real? [shawn_eary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to make things more complicated as they are
Wikipedia says 2.4 miles NOT nautical miles
A converter spits out 4224 yards

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Yards is the Ironman Swim for Real? [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No need to make things more complicated as they are

[pink] You do realize this is a triathlon website, right? [/not pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last two times I did it measured 4403 and 4411 yards. I swim as straight as the current allows...and other swimmers during the second lap. It's an ocean so it's unpredictable. If it helps, I never did an ocean swim before any of the 3 times I did IMFL. 99% pool swims and maybe 2 or 3 River swims?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's 2.4 miles/3.8 km.

It doesn't matter what people measure it on the day or in previous year's events, come race day you still have to swim it whether it be measured slightly long or short.

Don't quibble over a few yards. If you can't swim 3 miles comfortably, there's every chance you can't swim 2.4 miles comfortably either.

And your day has only just begun.
Last edited by: satanellus: Jun 28, 20 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Yards is the Ironman Swim for Real? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
It's 2.4 miles/3.8 km.

It doesn't matter what people measure it on the day or in previous year's events, come race day you still have to swim it whether it be measured slightly long or short.

Don't quibble over a few yards. If you can't swim 3 miles comfortably, there's every chance you can't swim 2.4 miles comfortably either.

And your day has only just begun.
But to correct you...it’s 3,86 km
Other than that....right!

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get in the water. You follow the people in front of you. You swim until you are finished. That's it, very simple.

I'd put it out of your mind. The IMFL swim is pretty tame... it's in a gulf and the water is reasonably clear so visibility is good. Navigation is easy.

No sweat, you've got this.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
You get in the water. You follow the people in front of you. You swim until you are finished. That's it, very simple.

I'd put it out of your mind. The IMFL swim is pretty tame... it's in a gulf and the water is reasonably clear so visibility is good. Navigation is easy.

No sweat, you've got this.

E

Yeah listen to Eric on this - don't make it more complicated than it is. Just relax during the swim and everything should be fine. Its just swimming - its not like you're trying to get 1st in the swim, which is a totally different mindset. Just have a good time and everything should work out.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Jun 28, 20 14:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use 4250 yards, or 85 laps in a 25 yard pool. I had no problem finishing the IMAZ swim, and was 2 minutes faster in the race, than I average in the pool. I've never done OWS in training. I'm 100% pool training, and haven't had any trouble doing OWS in races.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, you have a non-waterproof, gps swim watch that measures distance in yards?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is 2.4 "walking" miles. That being said, it's open water so it can be measured long or short. The Kona swim course had become 200yds long from the marker buoy drifting slightly over the years (they reset it a few years ago).

Long swims in salt water also create issues like chafing that you won't see in a pool, so be ready for what the day brings.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Yards is the Ironman Swim for Real? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you're in the water swimming in feels about 50% longer than you think it should. "wait, that was only 3000 yards?"

When you're running through mile 20, the swim feels rather short and refreshing in comparison to the days effort.

Don't worry about the exact number. If you can swim around that distance continuously and then get out of the water and still function....you'll probably be okay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ive yet to do a full ironman, but from my handful of 70.3s ive figured this out... keep your head down, your swim form as good as you possibly can, and you WILL finish at some point so you can take a tiny break to get on your bike.

im not a strong swimmer and my strategy is to just finish it best i can so i can move on to my strong suits.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pool swimming events have to be in multiples of the length of the pool so that's why they don't do an exact mile.

Nautical miles are really only used in aviation and marine navigation (in boats, not swimming).

2.4 miles is 4224 yards but it can be difficult to get swim courses exactly right. It's routine for longer courses to be off by +/-50 to 100 yards. Don't sweat it. It is what it is and everyone has to swim it. If you prepare to race 4224 yards and it turns out to be 4300, you'll be fine.

One year I did 70.3 New Orleans and the swim was only 1500m instead of 1900. Last year I did an Olympic race where the swim was like 2300m instead of 1500....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shawn_eary wrote:
All of the following have me seriously nervous about the IM Florida swim:
  1. I don't have access to the ocean
  2. There seems to be unclear distance terminology among swimmers
  3. I'm training without a wetsuit because the water may be too warm on race day
  4. My Swim Buoy is a pain to lug around but I keep it so I don't get run over by a boat or jet ski and so I can keep my personals with me
I feel like I'm getting my rear end kicked while training for the IM Florida swim... Anyway, I'm sorry to whine or state so many "problems", but the main thing I want to know in this question is how long the IM Swim is. I just feel like whining today I guess...

How many yards long is the Ironman swim for real? There is the swimming mile (which isn't a full mile); the walking mile; and then, there is the nautical mile which is longer than a walking mile. Wikipedia shows the Ironman swim to be 2.4 miles long but how do I translate that to the yards that come back when I upload my eTrex 30x swims to Strava? I think Ironman swim is 2.4 walking miles but for all I know it could be 2.4 nautical miles... I don't know why swimmers think it is okay to "cheat" and call a swim mile (1650 yards), when I'm pretty sure an Ironman swim mile is longer than that...

NOTE: Because my eTrex 30x isn't waterproof, I tote it along in a Swim Buoy. Unfortunately, I sometimes wind up "fighting" with my Swim Buoy when the local "lake/river" gets a little rambunctious. Even so, the local lake or river (whatever it is) can't be anywhere near as wild as Panama City for IM Florida. I'm really sorry if this question has already been asked, but I'm training my rear end off for the IM Florida swim and I'm starting to have serious doubts about my ability to complete it within the required 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Best advice is when running and biking don't exceed 80% of the total distances. When swimming you need to swim the entire distance at a minimum of once before the event to guarantee you can complete the distance in an event. That can be done in a pool, lake, river or any other body of water. I'd recommend doing it in training at least once and then doing it within 2 weeks of your event. You need to be sure, because if you can't finish the first leg then you will not finish the rest of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Yards is the Ironman Swim for Real? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim distance in yards for a full Ironman (2.4) miles is 4224 yards, When I did IM Florida is was a two loop swim, you entered the water on one side, swam out to the turn buoy came back on shore ran down the beach about 25 yards or so and did the second loop. When you got out after the first loop you could grab some water before you reentered the swim. AS far as distance, I recorded 2372 yards for my first loop/half of 1.2 miles. So, just like a road running race, the greater the distance the greater chance of exceeding the actual distance and like a road race, when you are running around people at the start and not hitting the most direct route, you will add distance. Also, unless you swim in a perfect line, you will have some added distance. Then take into account the waves and shift from the current and you will have to add some more. So unless you are a strong swimmer with great sighting and a perfect line, and swim off the front, you may be at or near 4300, but any course that has multiple buoys/turns and shifting to avoid congestion and slower groups ahead of you or those that didn't seed themselves properly for a rolling start, I would plan on adding a couple hundred yards up to 500. But if you can swim comfortably for the 2.4 miles or 4224 yards you should be fine. And 1650 is meters per mile not yards, Garmin for open water swimming will list it in Yards not meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5,280 feet in a mile/3 foot in a yard=1760 x 2=3520
1760 x .4= 704
3520 + 704 = 4224

Yep 4,224 yards in an IM swim. If the swim can be a straight point to point swim and you swim a perfect straight line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2015 I clocked 4474 yds (~2.5 miles) with pretty straight lines.

I'm a terrible swimmer. I generally panic in open water. It was my first ocean swim. I did fine. Likely you will as well. Here were my notes from my race report about the swim.

Quote:
I was extremely apprehensive about the swim. I had heard the stories of lost Garmins and goggles due to excessive contact. My experience was nothing but positive. The new rolling start format made contact pretty much a non-issue. Between the buoyancy of salt water and a wetsuit you’ll be fine even in choppy conditions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shawn_eary wrote:
I don't know why swimmers think it is okay to "cheat" and call a swim mile (1650 yards), when I'm pretty sure an Ironman swim mile is longer than that...

that is because you are apparently ignorant of the fact that the rest of the world uses the metric system and thus the 1650 is the yards equivalent of the standard distance of 1500M that has been contested in the Olympics since 1906.

If you were to attempt an IM in every state and swam 4200 yards, no one would call you out on it.
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Yards is the Ironman Swim for Real? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
And 1650 is meters per mile not yards,

No. 1609 metres to a mile.

I'm guessing you've never raced a mile on a standard athletics track? Take a look at where the startline is located.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with most folks here....the swim leg is doable. Keep training and you should be fine.

But let me give you a bit of more details about the swim. You start on the beach and run into the water. Can't remember how far you can run in, but it's a fair distance, so that is some you don't have to swim. Then, depending on the tides, you may face some waves coming in against you as you start swimming. There will be some waves regardless as you swim out. The tides really only affect the swim for a short area, then you're past them. On the way out, you will go up and down a bit as the current of the water is towards shore and you're swimming the opposite way. Just focus on form, keep your technique solid and you'll be fine. Salt water and wetsuit really help with buoyancy, so if you're legs sink some in the pool, your form will be much better in the ocean on race day => this will be very helpful.

Once you get to the turnaround bouy, you have the tides and current helping you on the way back to the beach. It's a great feeling - almost feels like you're swimming 2x as fast as normal.

Once you hit the beach, you run/walk 20ish meters to your left to swim start and start over. I think there is a table with cups of water in case you need some.

Try to get to Panama City a few days ahead of the race and get some practice swims in. Those will help you settle your nerves and prepare you for the race. I think they put out the turnaround buoy the day before the race, so it's probably a good idea to stand on the beach, check out the buoy and visualize your race. As some others have said, a lot of IM racing (or participating if you're a MOP or BOP like me) is mental. If you've done your training, it's all about execution on race day - race day is really just a long training day. Don't over complicate it.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Yards is the Ironman Swim for Real? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
tri3ba wrote:
And 1650 is meters per mile not yards,

No. 1609 metres to a mile.

I'm guessing you've never raced a mile on a standard athletics track? Take a look at where the startline is located.

I've raced on plenty of tracks and if you're just looking to make a point, the exact measure is 1609.344 meters to a mile and an outdoor track's inner most lane measure's 400 meters and the starting lines are adjusted based on the width of 1.22 meters unless you are running indoor season on a 200 meter track like the Randal Tyson which is 200 meters and banked at 60 degrees with 60 meter straightaways. Of course much preferred cross country except for freezing my ass of in Iowa, (Big 12 not SEC). But I should correct that I was speaking in terms of competitive swimming in which the mile is typically 1500 meters or 1650 yards, so yes I was incorrect and misspoke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not mentioned in any of these replies is how people take a measurement from their GPS watch as gospel in an open water swim when there is literally no way it can be. Yeah, it'll be close, but the longer the race the bigger the margin of error. The course will usually be set (I assume) by placing turn and sighting buoys as specific way-points, and unless it's very deep water there's not much excuse for it being inaccurate. So your actual swim distance will be course distance (likely to be accurate, but not always) plus any deviations you make due to poor sighting, not swimming straight, overtaking others, etc. Your recorded swim distance (the one most people like to use when telling their mates how fast the swam, i.e. "I swam a X:XX but the course was long") will be the above plus GPS inaccuracy.

GPS swim watches constantly lose signal when they are submerged and need to reacquire a signal in that brief period they're above the surface. Obviously the algorithms allow this to be pretty good as it will remember the position from the previous stroke, but it's never perfect, which is quite understandable.

I don't think I've ever done a race where my peers decree "the swim was long but my pace as better than expected"...more likely the swim distance was accurate and they actually didn't gain 5-10 secs/100 on race day.

So I guess what I'm saying is train for the distance (2.4 miles). On the day you might swim a little more, but unless you're terrible at sighting or conditions are awful then you likely won't swim *too* much more than that, despite what your and your peer's watches might say.
Quote Reply
Re: How Many Yards is the Ironman Swim for Real? [Larchmonttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larchmonttri wrote:
I agree with most folks here....the swim leg is doable. Keep training and you should be fine.

But let me give you a bit of more details about the swim. You start on the beach and run into the water. Can't remember how far you can run in, but it's a fair distance, so that is some you don't have to swim. Then, depending on the tides, you may face some waves coming in against you as you start swimming. There will be some waves regardless as you swim out. The tides really only affect the swim for a short area, then you're past them. On the way out, you will go up and down a bit as the current of the water is towards shore and you're swimming the opposite way. Just focus on form, keep your technique solid and you'll be fine. Salt water and wetsuit really help with buoyancy, so if you're legs sink some in the pool, your form will be much better in the ocean on race day => this will be very helpful.

Once you get to the turnaround bouy, you have the tides and current helping you on the way back to the beach. It's a great feeling - almost feels like you're swimming 2x as fast as normal.

Once you hit the beach, you run/walk 20ish meters to your left to swim start and start over. I think there is a table with cups of water in case you need some.

Try to get to Panama City a few days ahead of the race and get some practice swims in. Those will help you settle your nerves and prepare you for the race. I think they put out the turnaround buoy the day before the race, so it's probably a good idea to stand on the beach, check out the buoy and visualize your race. As some others have said, a lot of IM racing (or participating if you're a MOP or BOP like me) is mental. If you've done your training, it's all about execution on race day - race day is really just a long training day. Don't over complicate it.

Good luck.

Lots of good points here; I did IMFL twice and remember the first time thinking that it was a bit of a distance once you got in the water before it was deep enough to get a good swim going. I also remember the current going out and feeling it with me coming back in. First time I did it, the water was dead calm and conditions perfect, second time it was rough due to an off shore storm so it was tough swimming against the swells going out.

To the OP - I’ll agree with the other replies where depending on the course layout, conditions and how well you sight, you could likely end up swimming more yardage that day as a result. As long as you keep banging out yardage in the pool you will be fine on race day. Hope this helps, good luck!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply

Prev Next