Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Can We Incorporate Something Like This Into A Triathlon? (Insane Downhill Run...But Make It Survivable)
Quote | Reply
Before anyone says I'm "insane" let me just say I'm just throwing this out there as an idea that is somewhat inspired by Dan's article from a few months ago "The Search for Different" and my recently acquired love of mountain biking. An obvious caveat to this proposal would be that it would have to be *way* less technical than what's shown below for a typical triathlete to survive. Maybe swim (invariably cold), run, lift, bike, run? If you did a time trial start between the swim and the first run I would think the field would thin out enough to the point where lift access wouldn't be a bottleneck, lift transit time would be the same for everyone.

One location that comes to mind is Frisco CO. You could swim in the Dillon Reservoir (which gets up to the mid 50s in August... wetsuit mandatory), run to Keystone from the northeast corner of the reservoir (about 3.5 miles), take a gondola up to the top, hop on bike that's staged up there, ride one of the easy routes down, dismount, and then run maybe a ~2-3 mile course.

In terms of that initial bike start on snow, I doubt you'd have any in August but looking at the ski runs perhaps you could use a snow maker to cover a ~ 500 yard section of ski run leading to the start of the bike course. I'm seeing a cost of running said machine at $1,000/acre for 12" of snow so perhaps less for less snow. I'm guessing about 5 acres based on a quick Google Earth measurement. Exorbitant for sure but I'm sure you could charge a bit of a premium for such a unique race, no?

Thoughts?
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Jul 7, 19 21:30
Quote Reply
Re: How Can We Incorporate Something Like This Into A Triathlon? (Insane Downhill Run...But Make It Survivable) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe bike first so there would be less chance of an accident from spotty handling due to being tired?

There is a “triathlon” close to me that does
- downhill ski from a Le Mans start followed by
- downhill bike (on a not super technical fireroad) followed by
- a run

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Jul 7, 19 21:44
Quote Reply
Re: How Can We Incorporate Something Like This Into A Triathlon? (Insane Downhill Run...But Make It Survivable) [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is also a river running through the town (Kellog, ID). The gondola is maybe 300-400 yards from the river bank, so I guess do could do a swim, gondola ride up, bike back down, then run. Though I’ve never looked into how swimmable the river is in that particular spot.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: How Can We Incorporate Something Like This Into A Triathlon? (Insane Downhill Run...But Make It Survivable) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or 'swim' in the 'lake' at Keystone like the Xterra race used to do, then a much shorter run to the lift/gondola.
Quote Reply
Re: How Can We Incorporate Something Like This Into A Triathlon? (Insane Downhill Run...But Make It Survivable) [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
Or 'swim' in the 'lake' at Keystone like the Xterra race used to do, then a much shorter run to the lift/gondola.

That’s a good point, just looked at that on Google Earth. Probably much warmer. I was thinking the long run prior to the gondola could be used to separate out the field a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could always follow it up with the hill from the cheese-rolling race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Summit to valley", "Pole-pedal-paddle" races are a staple of springtime in a lot of mountain towns. Typically involving downhill skiing, biking, kayaking, and maybe a run often done as a relay, bragging rights on the line, "ringers" brought in from elsewhere to boost long standing local teams.

example of some more fitness based ones:
Tuckerman Inferno: run, bike uphill, hike, ski, kayak
Courchevel X3: bike, run, ski uphill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone needs to tell these guys to ditch the baggy jerseys and pick up some free speed

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Idk man... That race didn't turn out too well for the other 1000+ people...

https://www.abc.net.au/...r-in-france/11280866

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How Can We Incorporate Something Like This Into A Triathlon? (Insane Downhill Run...But Make It Survivable) [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW

I will point out, however, that the format I suggest would string the field out considerably.
Quote Reply