Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How "off" is your off season?
Quote | Reply
My last race of the season is this Sunday. After that, I plan on cutting my training down to 8hrs/wk or so from a high of 15. I still plan to swim, bike and run but staying aerobic and keeping the longest session at 1:30 for my long ride. For background, I did 2 1/2IMs this year with about 10 other smaller tris and dus. But have IMUSA next year.

My question is, what does everyone else do? Do you take time completely away from swim, bike, run? Or do you just cut back like I'm doing?
Quote Reply
Re: How "off" is your off season? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After my last race, which was early October, I took a week off and then began my "off season" training. I'm too type "A" to spend much time away from working out. In my off season, I'm doing strength training twice a week (instead of once during the season), I'm taking a spinning class twice a week and I'm going to do more LSD running and hill repeats. I break up my training into "bike" weeks and "run" weeks. For example, during the bike week I'm taking a spinning class twice and then either a long ride or "pile of bricks" workout on the weekend. Swimming is about the same at 3X per week concentrating a little more on power and speed. I'm on a five week rotation where weeks 1 - 4 alternate between biking and running and the 5th week is cut way back. I end up working out about twelve hours a week in the off season compared to about 14 - 15 during the season. My first tri next season is a sprint in April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, my off season is far more "OFF'" than I'd like it to be.

My last race was 5 weeks ago (I live in Michigan), and I planned on maintaining 6 -8 hours a week. But already, my once lean body looks like a mushy blob. I'm still working out daily, but I find that making time for a workout longer than an hour or so is nearly impossible. Also, I'm less inclined to worry about it knowing that I wont be racing for another 8 months (I live in Michigan).

But, its the same drill every year. Usually about the new year, my motivation kicks in again - its going to have to, I'm signed up for IMMOO next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My idea of "off season" is to do as little training as possible and keeping most of the weight off.

I don't even count how many hours of training I do - I pretty much switch off. I don't do any runnning, I might ride once a week - or not. But I can't seem to stay out of the gym - nothing heavy, mostly stretching and a few light weights, maybe a swim or 2 - or not. I doubt that I do more than 6hrs in a week.

It's a time for me to get caught up on my work around the house and do a little more socializing with friends and get in some family time, and maybe crack open a beer or 2. It doesn't last very long, so I try to make the best of it.

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I began my off season about 3 weeks ago. Took 2 weeks of doing nothing except pizza, beer and watch football on Sunday. No, I also watched football on Saturday and Monday too.

Last week I've eased back into training for next year. Until mid November, it will just be enough to maintain muscle memory, emphasising running. Maybe 2 to 2.5 hours per week of that in 30-45 minute sessions. I'll also get on the fixed gear for 2 rides per week, mostly weekends.

Mid November, I'll start my build for the running season, looking to mini-peak in January. My first 'A' race will be the Panama City half in May, with a second peak planned for September at a sprint distance event, so i don't want to do too much too early.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually hate this time of the year since it's almost time to put the bike on the trainer. The days are shorter and our Tues/Thurs night group rides are over although we can ride weekends for a while yet. So I ride less and actually run more which is unusual for me since I'm much more of a cyclist than a runner. I live in an area of nature trails here in the rural Great White North so it's this time of the year that I enjoy running the most since I take the dog with me. The bears are hibernating and the leaves are down off the trees. Makes a great cross country running venue with nice scenery. The trails are too hot with too many mosquitos and black flies during the warmer times of the year. Swim once a week and wll start doing more weights very shortly. After x-mas there will normally be enough snow on the ground to x-country ski, but some years are better than others.

So in winter it's riding on the trainer, x-country skiing and weights mostly. Swim once a week and hardly run at all unless there is less snow than normal and I can't ski. I'll usually put on 5-7 lbs over the winter, most of which is because we tend to eat more during winter than summer. Must be something to do with human metabolism an cold weather. We all notice it in the spring on our first hill ride. Usually start running and tri training again in the beginning of April when the snow has melted. For me tri is all about fun, fitness and trying to keep a middle age body in shape so cutting back in winter isn't a problem but if I was a serious young elite or pro, I think you'd almost have to move to a warmer winter climate to train properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped "proper" tri training after nationals (which was at the end of july) I did two races in augest.. but they were just for fun. Since then, i havn't run, or biked at all.. but I have been swimming.. I swim with the Queens U. swim team, and traithlon team.. about 6-7 times a week... 1 1/2 - 2 hours a time (3000-5000 m a practice).. I will be doing this until my motivation to run and bike comes back.. i figure should happen fairly soon.. new year ish..;), and then i will start to rebuild my legs again. I think its super important to take time off, i find i need a mental and physical break so i can keep going. I found that last year.. i tri trained all summer.. and then swam and did winter indoor tri's, and was burnt out by... early july? I figure taking this augest off .. (i played some golf, tennis.. and waterskied though) definatly recharged my batteries for swimming this winter, and i think after swim season ends.. (late feb) i'll probably take another week or so off.. before i start tri training again.. (or just continueing where i left off).

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My off season was made up for me this spring with major surgery. After Ultramax at the end of September, I took two full weeks off and did nothing, then went to Kona and did a lot of swimming. I'm now back ready to go. This fall/winter will be a run emphasis and lots of weekend miles on the bike. I'll try to swim a couple of times a week, but won't stress if I don't.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to take an off season, but TT's run year round, so I decided to keep my training going all year and take breaks as needed,

hey if it works for Ned Overend ......
Quote Reply
Re: How "off" is your off season? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically I take a couple of 7-10 day breaks from cycling or running or both during Oct/Nov. I start laying down the miles the second week of Dec.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took 2 weeks totally off after Vineman, and then eased back into 5-6 hour weeks for the last 3-4 weeks, focusing on lifting and swim form (took swim lessons and tons of TI drills). I just got done building my ATP for next season, so this was the first week of Base 1 in my 28 week plan for Wildflower 2004. Now I'll be focusing on getting as many miles on the Powercranks as I can, continuing swim form, and building strength.
Quote Reply