Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Houston Living / Schools Help
Quote | Reply
I am looking at possibly relocating to the Houston area. Can someone give me some indication of which "areas" are good or not good? It may be in the southern side of town.

thanks

kids going into 4th and 6th

OK - if this should have been in Tibb's area, sorry. I didn't realize it went into the main forum until it was too late.
Last edited by: TooSlow: Apr 9, 07 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: Houston Living / Schools Help [TooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived there years ago....

The suburbs on the west side(katy,spring branch,etc ) have pretty good schools and are accessible to a southern area commute as is Sugerland or the Southwest area, which has, as I understand it, has grown considerably since I was there.

If you have the money, Bellaire or River Oaks are both real nice and closer in but are beyond the means of many- including me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help you too much as I'm on the north side (Spring/Woodlands area). Great riding from your front door up here. From what I gather most people that live in town or down south drive to their starts and generally ride the west side of town - flatter and more wind.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
South of Houston is a little bit too general, but I grew up in the Deer Park area and the public school system there is still one of the best in the state. Friendswood and Clear Lake are also top notch. Drop me a note if you are looking at a specific area.
Quote Reply
Re: Houston Living / Schools Help [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in the medical center/West U area, and would second the previous poster's recommendation of the Bellaire School District, if you're looking for a public school, although this area is on the expensive side. If looking for private schools, the best for academics are probably Kinkaid (Memorial) and St. Johns (River Oaks). However, I have also heard good things about Clear Lake High School.
Quote Reply
Re: Houston Living / Schools Help [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The office would be located around I-45 and the beltway. I just do not know where my wife's office would be. So as a dumb guess at this point I guess I am asking about the areas around Pearland, Stafford, and Sugarland. The kids currently go to Private school (Catholic), but part of that is due to the state of public schools in this area (not that we insist on private schooling).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just moved up to the area you are talking about, not too familiar with Houston yet, but from everything I've heard Clear Creek ISD is great, it's in the Clear Lake City area, just south on 45 from Beltway 8. This is the area that houses Boeing, Lockhead, USA, Jacobs, NASA, etc., so schools seem to be pretty good (may not be the reason for the good schools....?).

I see alot of people riding Space Center Blvrd and such, but I just got a mountain bike, and have been riding mainly sidewalks commuting to and from work... good times... :) The area is nice, League City and Pearland seem to be the areas that are developing with nice new housing and such from what I can see, but then again, I don't go too far out of my- a to b, b to c, and c back to a- daily route. Good luck, hope this helps.

goals, personal:
- under same username post st rr of Kona m80-84ag mop, tail end of the dopers finish
- shoot age from tips on par 72
- beat SuperDave in one-on-one
all within single wk- Viva Chopin, Fryderyk; Faulk, Peter; Helmsley, Sherman; Palillo, Ron; Rogers, Fred McFeely; Sanford, John Elroy; Snuka, Jimmy- and the water bottle isn't half fuller on the other side
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
45 and the Beltway, I would still look at neighborhoods that feed the Deer Park district. Pearland is fairly nice and there is Silverlake on 288, the schools there are pretty new. It depends on your willingness to commute and the roads you can find that service your area. I used to live in Seabrook, which I loved except for the fact there wasn't an easy way to the highway. I spent most of my commute time getting to a thoroughfare rather than getting to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I presume you have visited Houston from you posts (?) If not, you really need to spend a week driving around and visiting schools before making this decision. We were probably in similar boat when moving to Houston 8 years ago with 5 & 6 year old kids. Our decision was 70% school, 30% location, value, etc. We spent a week driving around and am I ever glad we moved in near the city and not to a suburb, despite bad riding opps. We live in SW houston (Meyerland area), in the Bellaire school district, near loop 610, it's only ~15 rush hour min. from my work. I have no school regrets at all, the "Gifted & talented" program in the public schools is ~ equal to good quality public schools in the Northeast U.S.(my subjective opinion, having grown up in NY). With medium-bad traffic, compared to say N. California. bay area (bad), or LA (very bad), it pays to live near work so you don't spend an extra hour or two in traffic daily. Though Sugarland and Pearland seem like easy drives on the weekend, beware, the commutes can be horrendous during rush hour, if you work in town. The traffic is getting worse, not better. My opinion, the city offers many diversions, museums, parks, restaurants, theatre, music, pro-sports etc, anything a large US city has (except effective public transit!). The burbs offer other things, but there is the daily commute...

Riding sucks in town. So bad that I nearly quick bicyling before even becoming a triathlete. Unless you live near Memorial or one of the bayou's with mixed ped/bike traffic, there aren't many options for "from home" rides. You would most likely have to pack the bike and drive for 30 minutes to an hour (North, or NW is best). Most burbclaves have riding groups, Pearland has some nice (but flat) rides.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I have lived in the south of Houston suburbs for 20 years now. ( Clear Lake/Friendswood area). I am used to the driving, commmuting and prefer the suburb to the city for riding. With kids i would suggest to live outside of the city. Driving from my house to 45 and beltway is about 15 mintues with traffic at 7:30 am. my office is about 5 minutes from the beltway in Webster on 45.

CCISD is a great school dist. Pearland is also nearby and has good school and the area is really growing.
I would do as one posters suggested, spend a couple of days driving around the area.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

http://www.triontherunfitness.com
http://www.triontherun.com
http://www.ontheruntx.com
Quote Reply