Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home Brew sports drink/bar?
Quote | Reply
Do you make your own drink or food bar? I've noticed a lot of recipes posted on a number of sites for homemade versions of "G------e" and "P------e" and energy bars and all that.

Some look like they might work and I'm tempted to try some. If you are doing it:

-Do you find it financially worth the time and effort?

-Does the taste really stack up?

-Does the homemade version work?

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Home Brew sports drink/bar? [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you find these recipes? do you have any links?

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Home Brew sports drink/bar? [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is one:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=1860
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.recumbent-bikes-truth-for-you.com/recipes.html

Here's 15 recipes

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't usually eat bars, but my wife made some early last season. They were great, but a little soft which made it kind of hard to eat on the bike. You had to leave it in the bag and turn the bag inside out while you ate. I think she used the recipe from pezcycling.

I bought a bag of bulk maltodextrin, M500 QD (QD = quick dispersal) from grainprocessing.com. You had to buy a huge bag, like enough for several years, but it was extremely cheap. It would work well if you had several people to share it with. I use it for all long rides and all 1/2 IM races. It is extremely easy to make in whatever quantity and strength you want. I've had single bike bottles with 1000+ calories. I put a 1/2 scoop of gatorade for flavoring and a tiny amount of Morton's Lite Salt to provide sodium and potassium. During the ride I drink a squirt of my rocket fuel and wash it down with a sip of water.

People say you can make gels out of the bulk maltodextrin, but I have not tried it. I can't figure out a good way to carry it on the run and it doesn't store well so you have to eat it within a couple of days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This started with me this past weekend by talking with a guy at the club where I train/instruct. He was asking me what I normally use...and then he turns the table on me and asks why don't I make my own and proceeded to run down a couple recipies off the top of his head. And says, "Here...try some". Wasn't bad...not the same, but still not bad.

I then did a Google search for "homemade... blah blah blah" in a couple categories and was honestly amazed at what turned up. Still looks like a lot of work.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i dunno, but when I want hot chocolate I just chocolate endurox and hot water
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut Coke 50/50 with water and you have a pretty good drink to use in the latter stages of longer races or events lasting 2 - 3 hours. Taste is not bad and adding the water get's rid of many of the bubbles.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
this is driving me nuts..sorry [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What rolls down stairs,
Alone or in pairs...
Rolls over your neighbour's dog?
What's great for a snack
And fits on your back?
It's Log! Log! Log!
It's Lo-og, it's Lo-og
It's big, it's heavy
It's wood!
It's Lo-og, it's Lo-og
It's better than bad
It's good!!!
Quote Reply
Re: this is driving me nuts..sorry [JohnInRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go ahead, you know you want to:

Ren & Stimpy - The Complete First and Second Seasons

http://www.amazon.com/...p;s=dvd&n=507846

"I told you I'd shoot! But you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?" - Stinky Wizzleteats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's work, but worth the effort I'm convinced. now, I haven't started making mine yet, but when you look at all of the ingredients in a bar or something, there's just so many it's ridiculous.

by making it yourself you can control everything, which I"m sure makes the quality much higher.

this year I'm going to try:

-organic white grape juice

-fresh squeezed lemons

-salt

-water

-dash of cayenne

we'll see how it does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yaaayyyy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Home Brew sports drink/bar? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cayenne ?

And for what reason pray tell would I want to take in some hot stuff while training, or is your dash like one particle?

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make my own energy drink using honey (medium Glycemic Index), dextrose (high GI), maltodextrin (even higher GI), and salt. I pack about 800 kcal in a small bottle and this lasts me a good three hours. I like the taste of this concoction far better than any commercial energy drink I've ever tried, and after the ride I mix it with some whey protein and it becomes a recovery drink.

You can buy smaller quantities of dextrose and maltodextrin from online retailers catering to home brewing, like mountainhomebrew.com.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Home Brew sports drink/bar? [jgrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Care to share the ratios? That one sounds intriguing and I'd like to try it.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dilute 80 grams of honey (about three tablespoons) in warm water, then add four tablespoons of dextrose and four of maltodextrin (actually, I have pre-mixed them so I put eight tablespoons of the mixture), and a teaspoon of salt. A tablespoon of dextrose (or maltodextrin) is about 15 grams, so eight of them are 120 grams, together with 80 grams of honey makes 200 grams of CHOs -> 800 kcal.

Mind you, since both dextrose and maltodextrin are tasteless, the honey dominates the taste of the mixture -- so it is understandably sweet (you can partially control this by varying the amount of salt); this is contrary to what most energy drinks taste like, sour-y. I personally really like the sweet taste, but be aware of this if you do not.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What rolls down stairs,
Alone or in pairs...
Rolls over your neighbour's dog?
What's great for a snack
And fits on your back?
It's Log! Log! Log!
It's Lo-og, it's Lo-og
It's big, it's heavy
It's wood!
It's Lo-og, it's Lo-og
It's better than bad
It's good!!! "

damn! I was trying to remember this last year, a guy joined our company, his last name was Logg!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply