Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hip flexors and aero positioning
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a tri bike - up until now I've been riding a road bike, occasionally with clip-on aero bars. Lately I've been doing a lot of climbing and haven't raced in a few months, so the aero bars have been off for a while. I got fitted up for the tri bikes before I took them out for test rides, and then put in probably about 15-20 miles of total test riding time (on 5 different bikes).

I noticed that my hip flexors got tired/sore very quickly, and the next day, my quads are more fried than usual. I know that the steeper geometry on a tri bike (the seat angles on the bikes I rode varied from 76 to 78 degrees) causes different muscles to be recruited, but I've never seen an in-depth discussion of WHICH muscles are used more - so I'm wondering if this increased use of the hip flexors and quads is to be expected. I'm expecting a considerable adjustment period to the more aggressive aero position, but I'm curious as to what other people's experiences in making this transition have been.

Thanks for any info/feedback.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Hip flexors and aero positioning [scottf2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"so I'm wondering if this increased use of the hip flexors and quads is to be expected."

You'll definately notice it at first but you'll adapt even when still also riding the road bike. I find riding the tri bike once a week along with my normal three group rides on the road bike is enough to allow adaptation.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip flexors and aero positioning [scottf2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well my little brain tells me that to get my left knee up to my chest, either my right quad has to push down harder, or my left hip flexor has to be recruited to pull it up there. Ideally, I think both things happen. I think the goal is maybe to "unweigh" the left pedal, and not waste your right quad power by making it work to push your left leg up--put all of that power to the road instead. The opposite happens on the other side. Actually it all blends together into a smooth stroke.
Quote Reply