Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hill simulation- Which is better?
Quote | Reply
Need some help here. Training for Alcatraz in a couple of weeks in DFW, Tx area with very few hills. I have a small hill near my house that is about .5 mile in length, and at best 6% grade.

I do a weekly set of repeats, and need to know which one is better preparation: easy gear spinning at race RPM (80-90) building some leg strength, or using very hard gear with lower RPM (30-40) building legs but less taxing on cardio system? Or should I do something in between?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill simulation- Which is better? [tritex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A power meter.

I live in Houston, where the only hill is an overpass. I've ridden in the Alps and the mountains of Japan. Doesn't matter if the grade is 0%, 5%, or 10%. My power for a given time duration is virtually identical.

Ask that guy Lance who used to live in Plano if not having hills prevented him from riding in the Alps and Pyrenees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any parking garages you could ride up? Maybe go at night when they're empty and do repeats.
Quote Reply
Re: Hill simulation- Which is better? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I need a power meter, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, not something I'll likely get by May1st.

My issue is that while I feel like I'm getting a good hill workout, the high RPM's tax my cardio system, but not my legs. The lower RPM's but heavy gear ratio tax my legs tremendously, but not my lungs.

With 3-4 weeks of training left- any other thoughts? The parking garage might work- local hospital not too far away I could go to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, if all I had was a .5 mile hill, no power meter and was weak on hills, I would ride zone 4 up that hill about 30 times a week at whatever cadence seemed comfortable.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Hill simulation- Which is better? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Thats what I was leaning towards. I've been repeating it 20+ times per week, mostly in a hard gear. Tonight on repeat #12, I went zone 4, high rpm, and realized they were completely different workouts- hence the post.

I appreciate the input
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually wrote 50 times a week at first but changed it cuz I didn't want to scare you off :)

Good luck in the race.

jaretj
Quote Reply