Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High pressure
Quote | Reply
Here it is... I spent the cash and bought the whole 9 yards, HED disc wheel and tufo tubulars and nice new silca pump to get to those mystical high pressures to get a low rolling resistance. I bought the supposed adapter for the silc pump and when I look at it it doesnt quite jig together.

1. The silca pump alows you to unthread the main adapter and then thread a new adapter on

2. The disc wheel adapter has an internal tube fitting not a threaded attachment.

Do i really have to remove the nice silca attachment and put the rubish disc wheel attachemnt in the tube and then use new jubilee clip to keep the whole thing together or am I not seeing the full picture, how do you attach the disc wheel attachment??????
Quote Reply
Re: High pressure [english muffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what Silica doesn't tell you is that the end of the brass chuck (the end that the tire valve goes in) has a screw top. Before you put it on a valve unscrew it a couple of turns so it is loose but not unattached. Then when you put the tire valve in it, screw the cap down snug but don't get to super tight, just snug. What this does is compress the black rubber valve seal around the valve to help hold it onto the valve. Then when you are done pumping up the tire, unscrew the cap a couple of turns to take pressure off the seal and remove it from the valve. This will also extend the life of the black rubber seal. Now with a disk wheel adapter you can do one of two things. The temporary way is to just stick the end of the adapter into the chuck just like you would a valve and tighten down the cap, then stick it on the valve. Also check to see if your disk wheel adapter has a screw on top like the regular pump chuck and if so, do the same loosening and tightening sequence. The more permanent fix is to remove the whole chuck from the rubber hose and put the disk adapter into the hose in its place. If you do this I recommend getting a small hose clamp like they use on your car radiator hose, except small enough that it will clamp around the pump hose and tighten up enough to securely hold the disk wheel adapter in place. Make sense?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply