Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hey Shimano what the hell?
Quote | Reply
So Shimano is finally starting to make even shorter cranks down to 160 but only in the 105 group....WTF. You would think it would be the other way around.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they only ship to the UK?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Save hundreds. Better than it being Dura Ace only imo.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still too long for me, they must be selling lots of fishing stuff and don't care much about cycling anymore..
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to see a 155
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet their target market would be smaller females and juniors. In which case 105 is far more sensible. Same goes for this being a toe in the water exercise, makes more sense to do it in the lime that needs less tooling cost.

The market for pro/serious triathletes would be pretty small, and those would (should) be informed enough to not be worried about the weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
I bet their target market would be smaller females and juniors. In which case 105 is far more sensible. Same goes for this being a toe in the water exercise, makes more sense to do it in the lime that needs less tooling cost.

The market for pro/serious triathletes would be pretty small, and those would (should) be informed enough to not be worried about the weight.

I agree with everything you say. 0 concerns about the weight. But I often wonder about different materials used between 105, ultegra, and DA.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Maybe they only ship to the UK?

hahaha

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on 105 is superb stuff. It shift beautifully, is very reliable and pretty. For pro and people with too big pockets DA save a few grams and is a bit more shiny that's all.
About quality i had a rental bike with broken ultegra crankset once and the rental guy told me "basically the more it is expensive the less it's reliable, i never had a 105 fail but several ultegra and DA on client bikes".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was going to be about how new 11sp 105 doesn't work with old 11sp 105 (which is all of 18mo old). That was a real "what the hell" moment for me. How is 11sp not just 11sp? I have to worry about 5800 vs r7000? Come on!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:
I thought this was going to be about how new 11sp 105 doesn't work with old 11sp 105 (which is all of 18mo old). That was a real "what the hell" moment for me. How is 11sp not just 11sp? I have to worry about 5800 vs r7000? Come on!!
First world problems!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:

What's. Not compatible?????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why isn’t this a thing among UCI world TT champs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
So Shimano is finally starting to make even shorter cranks down to 160 but only in the 105 group....WTF. You would think it would be the other way around.

I'd rather see them start it at a lower price point to make it more accessible (plus the current 105 cranks are really good). They're a huge company with an insane number of SKUs, so I was surprised to see them do it at all. And I bet they didn't want to invest yet into the Dura Ace-level manufacturing for 160's to only sell a few. I'm only one person, but I hardly know or have seen anyone that rides less than 165. As I recall, both Rotor and Cobb have some super short options for those that want it.

Shimano seems to start at halo-level for things that they are sure have staying power. But when it's not as sure of a sell, they introduce at a lower level - i.e. their original introduction of road disc brakes and even compact cranks were at mid-level. At the time, it wasn't 100% certain that the market would jump on the wagon en mass. That's how I'd do it if I was them.

N=1, but I'm back up to 170mm on the tri bike and 175mm on everything else (6'1"). Went down to 165 and 170, respectively for several years, but they never felt quite right, and most of my PR times are on 170 / 175. I also experimented up to 180 and didn't like them long-term.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

The thread on Simon Yates position (during the Giro last year) is a good read through.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im down to 155 and it has really helped ( not a performance thing..messed up hip) but I have always liked Shimanos rings. I'm thinking about going to the 160 in the 105 on the new bike. I have come up more in the front so hopefully that offsets any hip discomfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What's. Not compatible?????

They say the FD isnt compatible. ' Im not sure which bit it is, but if you stick a new 11sp 105 R7000 cassette on an old 5800 rig it wont work. It vibrates and sounds like crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

Well, they ‘say; they make them on paper. I still have to find a shop or distributor that actually have them. I tried to order them with our local distributor and you don’t believe that the sales rep told me point blank; that size doesn't exist.... I had to show the Shimano documents that they existed.

By the way, they do make 160 mm in dura ace but only for the pro tour teams.

Regards,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They know that the short people cannot afford Durace.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

The thread on Simon Yates position (during the Giro last year) is a good read through.

Thanks. Good thread.

I was posting knowing full well the answer. Lol, didn’t use pink.

Fwiw I TT with 175s. I totally shuffle like an LMFAO dancer too.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shop says they will have them mid April
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a business perspective, this short crank school of thought is a micro-market for Shimano, a potential inventory nightmare for their distributors and retailers, and probably better served by the non-OEM market.

I could see them developing something like the Look Trilobe that SRM is using to get an extra 2.5 mm to 5 mm out of a 170 or 175 crank, though.

If you are looking for something with a bit more range, and want something with a bit more bling than 105, you could always go with one of these.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how do they have them but no one else. Looks like Jenson will shortly
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Shimano what the hell? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
From a business perspective, this short crank school of thought is a micro-market for Shimano, a potential inventory nightmare for their distributors and retailers, and probably better served by the non-OEM market.

I could see them developing something like the Look Trilobe that SRM is using to get an extra 2.5 mm to 5 mm out of a 170 or 175 crank, though.

If you are looking for something with a bit more range, and want something with a bit more bling than 105, you could always go with one of these.

Is following that link anything like being Rick Roll'd? Haha.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply

Prev Next