Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hey De Soto owners... how do I know if my top is too big
Quote | Reply
I love this wetsuit. I'm comfortable in the water for the first time ever. I don't feel claustrophobic and I've done 3600+ yards in it with no shoulder fatigue. Can't say enough. I'm wearing a size 4 bibjohn and a size 5 top, which felt right out of the water, but I'm concerned that I might be getting too much leakage and movement with the 5 top. Part of me says leave well enough alone, but part of me wonders if smaller wouldn't be faster.

Any way to know if mine is too big? Signs to look for?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey De Soto owners... how do I know if my top is too big [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about too big, but I've definitely seen Desoto folks with tops way too small. Like 'reverse male muffin top' small, feel sorry for the zipper' small.

I have sz3 bibjohn and sz4 top. Comfort and mobility trumps perfect fit. Even if a bit of water enters the neck, it's not really getting into the bibjohns. I have to burp my bibjohns to get any water in there..
Quote Reply
Re: Hey De Soto owners... how do I know if my top is too big [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim with a Black Pearl and get very little leakage...not sure if that means anything in your case or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
island rider wrote:
I love this wetsuit. I'm comfortable in the water for the first time ever. I don't feel claustrophobic and I've done 3600+ yards in it with no shoulder fatigue. Can't say enough. I'm wearing a size 4 bibjohn and a size 5 top, which felt right out of the water, but I'm concerned that I might be getting too much leakage and movement with the 5 top. Part of me says leave well enough alone, but part of me wonders if smaller wouldn't be faster.

Any way to know if mine is too big? Signs to look for?

Water leakage is the key thing to look for. Swimming in really cold water makes it pretty easy to figure out whether meaningful water is entering the suit. The nerves on the surface of your skin will also pick up any water sluicing around pretty easily. If it feels good and swims well, there's no need to overthink it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first DeSoto pullover I bought was too big. With my arms up, there was a bit of a 'web' around my armpit. Also, after about 500m in the water I would feel it start to ride up and would have to pull it back down into place ever 1k or so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the collar grip your neck? Do you feel water leaking in? Are you able to zip it down yourself or do you need help?

I have the opposite size of you (4 top, 5 bottom). I occasionlly have a little trouble zipping the top down and need someone to do it for me but my upper body has gotten a little bigger in the past two years with all the swimming I've done. Still it's definitely the right size.
Quote Reply