Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with trip to Bend, OR
Quote | Reply
Planning to stop in bend as part of family trip this coming summer. I'm from East Coast, never been to Oregon. I will be with wife and baby daughter but can probably swing one or two solo training activity. Riding or running, road or trails for either. What should I do/where? Specific route suggestions, basically. Only got one shot at a cool activity so gimme the best only! Figure 1 to 4 hours activity time

Any recommendations to ride must include place to rent a bike from. Willing to do that (MTB or road), but I just won't be traveling with my own. I wouldn't at all mind an excuse to seek out a nice bike rental :)

I'm sorta familiar with bend from watching TTL vids and stuff. But looking for a knowledgeable, specific recommendation.

Edit - swimming recommendations fine too, as I understand swimming in the river is a thing? Tell me about that.

Secondary recommendation: will likely have our jogging stroller for the little one, if there's anywhere noteworthy to run which would be stroller friendly, bonus points for that.

Thanks
Last edited by: PBT_2009: Jan 4, 24 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Help with trip to Bend, OR [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’re on IG you should definitely dm Eric and Paula.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in Bend for the past 3 years now and loving it. Road riding is OK, but the trails and gravel/fire roads are sweet! I'd recommend staying on the west side of Bend. You can rent bikes at most bike shops in town, mainly MTB. We've had friends rent from Sagebrush Cycles several times and had a good experience. All you need to know to get in great MTB or trail runs is the Phil's trails network. From the Phil's trailhead you can put together 5-50+ mile rides/runs. They're all well marked and in all the apps (like trailforks, etc.) For swimming hit Juniper Pool - $6 drop in rate. It's a 50m outdoor pool with a ton of open lap swim times. Usually set up as 2 8x25m pools but its LCM on Tu and Th. Would recommend staying in the west side of town for best access to the outdoors stuff as well as the "downtown" area with restaurants and breweries. But Bend is a pretty small place so pretty much everything is accessible. Feel free to ping me for specifics.
Last edited by: samcgowan: Jan 4, 24 13:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do Smith Rock or South Sister. Hike/run combo. Cycling is just ok around there. Kayaking in the Deschutes is a good time. The river paths over there are good for easy running miles. The town pool is super solid as well.

You got dozens of breweries to choose from too if you're into that sort of thing. I'm partial to Crux, Boneyard, Threecreeks, and Wildride. You can spend a nice few hours poking around the main stretch in Sisters too. Cascade Street Distillery is a cool spot.

One other note, Bend is at 3,600 feet. Some people will go back and forth about how serious that is but I've always been at sea level & have always found it to have an effect. Would just take it relatively easy, do some hikes, and enjoy some local beers.
Last edited by: dcpinsonn: Jan 4, 24 14:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with all of what has been said before, especially about staying on the west side of town. It depends on when you’ll be there but for a one shot cool activity I would recommend riding McKenzie Pass.
It’s in Sisters a short drive north of Bend. For a few weeks each year (depending on snow pack) it’s open to bikes only, usually somewhere around the end of May to early/mid June. Nice climb with beautiful changing terrain and great views.

If you happen to have access to a wetsuit on your trip I always love open water swimming in the high lakes up near Mt. Bachelor along the Cascade Lakes National Scenic Byway. Very cold water, but it sure is beautiful.
Definitely take a walk/jog with the family on the town trail along the Deschutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with trip to Bend, OR [ProActiveNW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heads up about McKenzie Pass this year. It's going to be completely closed for repaving this spring, including to bikes, so we're losing the bike only period up the pass.

As for the OP, Bend has nice road cycling, but gravel and MTB are better. If you do want to ride on the road, check out the 2-3 Oregon Scenic Bikeways near Bend. The Twin Bridges Route starts in the center of town and eventually loops back.

For gravel, check out the routes on Dirtyfreehub. The West Side Tour (starts in central Bend) is great, as is the Coffee Ride to Sisters. And for MTB, the riding isn't very technical for the most part and the trail network is unbelievably large. Bike along the Deschutes River south of town for something scenic. Or bike westward as far as you like. It's gradually uphill heading west, so the return trip is easier and more flowy.
Last edited by: dktxracer: Apr 11, 24 5:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented a Trek Roscoe hardtail from Pine Mountain Sports last September to ride at Phil's trailhead. Good service.

https://www.pinemountainsports.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Help with trip to Bend, OR [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three Creeks is still doable and closed to cars early. Maybe not as scenic but a more proper climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Park at Phil's trailhead. Ride in any direction except east. You'll have a great day. My wife and I stayed there for a month when the camping gravel lot was open and never got bored.

The big pool in town is my wife's favorite pool in the world. Worth checking out.

Your challenge will be not wanting to relocate there after your trip.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a road loop around Bachelor is amazing! It's one of my staples through the summer. From town, you're looking at 85+ miles and over 5K of climbing, but you can drive up and just ride the loop around the mountain. Best places to get road bikes are Hutch's and Sunnyside Sports. As was mentioned earlier, anything out of Phil's for MTB is great. You could rent from Pine Mountain and ride from the store!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you stay at TownPlace suites in West Bend, you can walk the block to Pine Mtn Sports, and Safeway for provisions. You can ride from Pine Mtn via bike lanes to Phils and the trails at West bend. Bring plenty of water, it is the high desert.

A dedicated bike path you could jog runs on SW century from about the TownPlace past 7th Mtn resort to the ranger station and links up to the trails.

If you like coffee, go to Thump. Frickin Faco is delicious. Birria at Sopa.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with trip to Bend, OR [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
...Your challenge will be not wanting to relocate there after your trip.

Ha, I am living this statement. I visited Bend for the first time last summer and, after a week here, decided to move from Texas. I've been living in Bend since late last year. It's an incredible place for outdoor activities.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with trip to Bend, OR [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similarly, I came to Bend for first time in 2007 to race Cascade Cycling Classic, and moved here 4 years ago. Lmk if you ever want to meet up to ride.
Quote Reply