Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with cramping
Quote | Reply
Folks, I need some help with cramping. I'm not really sure what to think on why this is occuring, but I have some thoughts and am hoping for a little feedback.

Here are the stats:
Male, 36 years old, 6'2, 195lbs.
ex collegiate swimmer, bike threshold in the range of 305, could most likely do a stand alone half marathon at a 7:00-7:10 pace.

This year I've done 3 half irons, Kansas, Racine, and Vegas. In all three I've had cramping, specifically in my quads and hamstrings. Its always felt the same and hit the same, and even hitting during the same spots on the run. First the quads...then when I am forced to stop and stretch, the hamstrings immediately cramp. Then I'm screwed because I can't stretch either. But here's the odd thing...I've never once cramped in training and have done ride/run combinations that were more challenging than what I did on race day. (except maybe kansas)

Kansas:
I was very stupid on the bike, screwed up my garmin settings, and ended up riding at threshold for the first 10 minutes. faded badly, with an nPower too high. (I can't remember what it was). From a nutrition perspective 2 years prior I had done a few halves and had success with about 600 calories of heed and then water up to about 80oz. Plus random crap at aid stations. (not much of a plan, I know). In any case, I cramped at mile 1 and my race. I pounded salt tabs, seemed to help. The cramps subsided and I was able to finish the race. It was a struggle from there with a 2 our run due to stupid pacing. Conditions were very hot that day.
It was easy to write this off as stupid pacing and poor nutrition.

Racine:
Paced much better on the bike. average watts was around 240, but it was a struggle. No idea why. But it felt crappy. Started the run and was running really well...but then cramped right at the first aid station. Worked them out a bit and ran again...only to fall apart and die at mile 7. Ended up in medical very light headed after the race. Pounded fluids and felt better after an hour or so.
I had changed my nutrition plan completely. Swapped to gatorade perform, carbo pro, and gu. I ended up with 2 calorie bottles (48oz) that had roughly 450 calories each. 3 scoops gatorade perform ~ 870mg sodium' 420mg potasium. So the total was roughly 1740mg sodium, 840mg potassium, 900 calories. I also had an additional 20-30 oz water on the bike. I took in fluids on the run...but just not sure it was enough as I ended up in medical.

Vegas:
Same basic nutrition with an extra half scoop gatorade in each bottle, plus an added salt stick in one of the bottles. So an extra 450-500mg sodium. I also added a fair amount of additional water to that mixture. Tough to measure off the course, but I had an additional 40-50oz water. so 90-100oz total. I also had 2 similar bottles of gatorade as part of my breakfast. (about 70oz that morning.) I literally pounded gatorade the day/night prior to the race as well.

Anyway, despite really good pacing on the bike I could feel the cramps at mile 1. I kept running and held to mile 3.5 when they hit hard. Unlike previous races they never went away. I took in 2-3 cups perform at each aid station plus salt. No help. In fact, while I muddled through (slowly), I made it to mile 7.5 keeping the cramps at bay at which time a mega side stitch hit. I was screwed. again.

As for pacing...I rode a nice 238 watts. nPower was around 250. well within my ranges. I ran nice and easy. The first mile in vegas was downhill holding a 7:30. Uphill I slowed down to roughly 8:15's. I had my HR on for this race and was higher than I would have liked by a few beats...but given the heat, nothing out on the fringe.

I have not had any issues in training with cramping ever. I've never dealt with cramping in races, ever.

The things that might be different this year. (I was out all of last season due to a hamstring tear).

I am on Lisinopril for blood pressure. (only 5mg). In rare cases this can cause cramping. But I'd think it would happen in training.
My bike fit is much more aggressive than in years past. It leaves me wondering if I am too far forward/backward and putting pressure on my quads that are in turn leading to the quad cramping. I suspect this only because the cramps are always the same. quads, then hamstrings when I try to stretch.
Nutrition. I think I am taking in enough, but even in Vegas I didn't really have to pee at all in the race and didn't pee until much later that evening.

That's all I have and with the season over I'm not really sure where to start since I have not been able to replicate this in training.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by: BeachboyWI: Sep 11, 12 20:17
Quote Reply
Re: Help with cramping [BeachboyWI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was explained from my coach that proper pacing = no cramps.

So, if your cramping is on the run, you gotta slow down th bike. If you run a stand alone 13.1 at 7:00 pace, then 8:15 is probably slower than you could actually run a half. More importantly, feel better!

If your cramping on the bike, then consume more fluids. Personally, I try and use all Gatorade when racing and I only use water when training when I don't want calories.... Hoping to lose weight when training.

My 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your calories seem a little low to me and the sodium would be be on the very low side for me. Nutrition is very subjective and may not even be the issue but is going to be your first plan of attack.

• You could try taking in a little extra sodium the days before a race... lightly salt foods . Soup is a great option. Do not over hydrate you will push more out than you are putting in.
  • I push atleast 1 gram an hour on the salt. I take a gel (Powerbar) every 20 mins and a salt stick every 30 and im perfect. Can you go from Gu to Gu Roctane to get a little more sodium?
I have had a patient in the past that had an enzyme imbalance but he would cramp all of the time even in practice (Football Player)

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: Help with cramping [prosh8905] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 1200 calories for breakfast, and 950 on the bike plus the fluids on the run. How many calories should I be taking?

1g per hour?! Damn. I had about 2g for breakfast, 2g on the bike, plus another 1-2g on the run.
So considering the vegas course, I'd need my normal breakfast (2g), about 3.5g on the bike (6-7 additional saltsticks?), and then keep my run the same with 1-2g.

Is that about right?

Quote | Reply
Must be nice to cramp on the run. Cramping is my nemesis, but I start out cramping on the SWIM!

Okay I'm being snarky, but I've whined and moaned about my cramping issues plenty on here and I guess I am again. I just wish I could get to the run before it happens. (Talking about one particular HIM where I cramp every year.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just find it odd that I don't cramp in training with much less sodium, fewer calories, and equal efforts.
Only in races.

I'm riding the same bike. Just seems odd.

The swim shouldn't do that...I swam in college and am in good swim shape. I took it easy in vegas too!

Quote | Reply
Repetitive cramping chronically injures the involved muscle(s). Thereafter, those same muscles are progressively more likely to cramp. So, my advice is to thoroughly rehab the muscles that cramp. An athletic trainer or physical therapist could help you with the the specific neuromuscular rehab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BeachboyWI wrote:
I had 1200 calories for breakfast, and 950 on the bike plus the fluids on the run. How many calories should I be taking?

1g per hour?! Damn. I had about 2g for breakfast, 2g on the bike, plus another 1-2g on the run.
So considering the vegas course, I'd need my normal breakfast (2g), about 3.5g on the bike (6-7 additional saltsticks?), and then keep my run the same with 1-2g.

Is that about right?

Your a big boy so I would suspect your calorie needs could be on the higher end. I know My goal is to get around 350 cals per hour so you could vary 200-400 calories not sure what you could tolerate you have to try this in training, I know I personally find it impossible to get in enough calories from on course liquid nutrition only (unless they have Cola), I need gels. If you want to feel really low on calories check out Rappstars IM nutrition

For the second part... I am just suggesting you talk to your Doc and try taking in a little more salt. I know it helps me and have heard others as well... to give you an n=1 I started cramping up mile 90 ish at IMNYC I got a little behind schedule on salt ... powered down, got fluid and moved salt sticks to every 15 mins for 45 mins, powered down slightly stretched the best I could on downhills and it resolved pretty quickly and never felt a twinge on the run and stayed on schedule with salt. At the end of a major build I am pretty tuned in in hot conditions. My job allows me to train midday all summer and I catch the heat on purpose. I know if my HR elevates at X pace I am low on fluid before I developed my salt strategy I was worried after several blow ups in this summers heat wave in the midwest( I moved to 1 salt stick every 30 mins and was really good shape + what I get in my gels every 20 mins) because no matter how much I drank or slowed I couldn't get the HR down. Salt cured this. I also know if my HR starts to drop or wont move up as I try to increase pace I am low on calories, and need to charge up to get moving.

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a mounting body of evidence that sodium/potassium levels have little to nothing to do with cramping. Gatorade marketing at its best. The dominant theory is that its your muscles reacting to intensity or duration not done during training. After reading up on the subject I incorporated two high intensity workouts (1 bike and one run) per week into my training and dropped all supplemental use of sodium, unless I need it for water retention during hot days. My result (n=1) is my cramps have decreased by about 80%. I will get one late in the race (50K runs), but I chalk those up to simple fatigue, not lack of electrolytes. Check out Tim Noakes latest book called "Waterlogged", a very interesting and well organized look at over-hydration and electrolyte balance.

Good luck

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm somewhat of a cramper too. A couple comments:

(1) I can't tell from what you wrote exactly how many calories/hr you're taking in, but I would second that for a guy your size it should be in the neighborhood of 400 kcal/hr (steadily, not on average). It sounds like you are doing less than this, but again I can't tell exactly.

(2) Are you *really* going as hard/long in training and not cramping and with no rest along the way? Usually cramping results from out-racing your training. I.e. you go too hard for too long relative to your training. I think you might need to revise downward your goal wattage on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with cramping [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
There is a mounting body of evidence that sodium/potassium levels have little to nothing to do with cramping.

In general I agree, based upon personal experience. When I cramp, I can DROWN myself in electrolytes and it makes no difference. I honestly do not believe it when people say, "I took a couple salt tabs and my cramps went away" despite having heard that 1000 times. I think they probably reduced their intensity or something.

In the long run, I do believe it's simply a matter of two things for me:

1) Not tapering well enough for race day. Being overtrained. Still sore going into race day.
2) Ramping up the intensity too much on race day. This doesn't have to be by a lot. But just that extra adrenaline is enough.

I was always hoping for another solution: salt, carbs, stretching. Because I don't like reducing my intensity on race day, but I do better when I do that, when I moderate myself so that I don't overdo it in the beginning of the race. I DO believe all these other things are important and useful, but 1) and 2) are what is causing me cramping problems on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thing that jumped out at me: "... I didn't really have to pee at all in the race and didn't pee until much later that evening. " If you didn't pee from before the race until much later in the evening...you were definitely dehydrated.

I'd try upping the fluid intake and backing off the bike power a tad (and maybe lowering your V.I.) until the cramps aren't a problem.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Help with cramping [chemsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chemsmith wrote:
karma wrote:
There is a mounting body of evidence that sodium/potassium levels have little to nothing to do with cramping.

In general I agree, based upon personal experience. When I cramp, I can DROWN myself in electrolytes and it makes no difference. I honestly do not believe it when people say, "I took a couple salt tabs and my cramps went away" despite having heard that 1000 times. I think they probably reduced their intensity or something.

In the long run, I do believe it's simply a matter of two things for me:

1) Not tapering well enough for race day. Being overtrained. Still sore going into race day.
2) Ramping up the intensity too much on race day. This doesn't have to be by a lot. But just that extra adrenaline is enough.

I was always hoping for another solution: salt, carbs, stretching. Because I don't like reducing my intensity on race day, but I do better when I do that, when I moderate myself so that I don't overdo it in the beginning of the race. I DO believe all these other things are important and useful, but 1) and 2) are what is causing me cramping problems on race day.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think some people are just more prone to cramp than others. Many years ago, I would cramp on a short 5 mile hike!!!

I've done a few olympic tris this year and I cramp on the run part of each one. The most recent one was last weekend when I know I did my nutrition right. I drank a lot in the bike, took salt pills, etc. I also took calcium, mag, and omega3 supplements every day for the last four months. This time, I felt great starting the run. My first mile was 7:30 and I was feeling strong. My heart rate wasn't that high yet and my fitness felt great. Lungs felt great.. Then my quads started to twitch and ended in a full blow cramp, again... I managed to finish the 10K with 8:45 by walking off the cramps, then running hard again. It would come and go every 10 minutes or so..

My next strategy is to incoporate more strength training -- squats, leg exercises and polymetrics... And also take a lot more salt and electrolytes during the ride.. maybe im just a heavy sweater?....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BeachboyWI wrote:
I just find it odd that I don't cramp in training with much less sodium, fewer calories, and equal efforts.
Only in races.

I'm riding the same bike. Just seems odd.

The swim shouldn't do that...I swam in college and am in good swim shape. I took it easy in vegas too!

This should be all you need to know right here. What is your training pace, compared to your race pace? What are you doing different in the race? Why in training do you use less sodium/calories and then up it for the race?

Figure out what is different between your training and your racing, and that will tell you why you are cramping. My initial gut suspicion is that you don't race relaxed, you are much tenser overall than you are in training. That's one of my problems anyway... :D

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Help with cramping [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
I think some people are just more prone to cramp than others.

I'm absolutely convinced of this. In part not just because I DO cramp, but because many (most) others never do. I'm 100% convinced that I train as hard and as smart as some folks, who then go out and overdo it on race day, yet they will never cramp. They will fall apart in some other way first.

If you go hard and long enough, you will break down. We all break down in our own way. For me, it's my feet, often. They are structurally horrible (bunions and such) and just are a problem. The other way I will break down is by cramping. Other people will never have problems with their feet or with cramping, but maybe their knees give out. Or they bonk fairly easily. Or they have stomach cramps. I never have knee problems and have to work to get stomach cramps. I've bonked, but that's actually a good sign for me if that's the FIRST thing to slow me down!

Whatever our breakdown point is, it's something we have to focus on fixing, in the hopes you find your next breakdown point. :-D

If you've never hit your breakdown point, that's fine, but it also just means you've...never hit your breakdown point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More food for thought...

I struggled last year at the HIM distance with cramping in the quads off the bike (like 100m off the bike!).

I had a bike fit that moved my seat back about 1" and all my quad cramping went away. You say you are aggresive, maybe too aggresive...

CB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking... I doubt you train like you race. Your able to stop at stop signs, stop lights, you probably coast more, hard efforts with a few minutes easy between, etc.

That's why your not cramping in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you just need to keep at it. I think another year of training like the last will take care of it. You were out a whole year last year so not really starting from scratch but overall you didn't pick up where you left off.

I think your total overall years of tri (from what I have seen) are still in early stages especially relative to the power and pace you are able to generate on race day.

I think your engine from a previously life may be revving slightly ahead of your land based bike and run muscles over that distance at those paces.

I wouldn't over think it; just keep training the way you are and get back at it next year.

I had hammy cramping issues in 2 of my first 3 IM's and spent all kinds of time overthinking it. As I added 1-2 more years of base running and riding miles these went away. Now I suck for other reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with cramping [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While some of this is true - he rides the trainer a lot, so not as true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume that you are doing a good warmup that includes running before the race? I have absolutely zero-science to back this, just personal experience, but I have found that doing a 15-minute run warmup really helps me feel significantly better at the start of runs (in Oly and HIM distance races) than when I didn't work this run warmup. To get really specific, my warmup is 15:00 all at about 1:00 to 1:30 slower than race pace, including 2x45 second pickups to goal race pace. Right after the warmup I pop half a Power-Bar and that kicks off my fueling plan for the day (followed by a gu 30 minutes later, which I take down about 10 minutes B4 the swim).

All the stuff on nutrition/hydration is great advice and you need to consider all of it, but something as simple as a proper warmup could also help. Expose your legs to some light running B4 the race. Can't hurt, so long as you follow it up with quick carbs. If anything, there is research that shows this type of short effort with mild pick-ups actually "opens your muscles up" to storing glycogen...

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
http://www.BradStulberg.com
Quote Reply