Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with Time Trial Position
Quote | Reply
Please critique my position. I race 20-40k Time Trials and need to be in position for about 1 hour.

http://img.villagephotos.com/...ICT0003-adjusted.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/...ICT0017-adjusted.jpg

Thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Time Trial Position [bushido5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Konbawa Samurai,

from the pictures, not much to say but to try to get a bit lower, maybe improve flexibility, but the postion actually looks pretty good (from what I can see anyway)...a lot better than many posted here ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of frame is that?

*Your Mama*
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Time Trial Position [Milan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess Abici...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did your Time Machine break yet?

http://www.socalttseries.com/...w/topic/Default.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is an Abici Time Machine. I have not had any problems with it but had a similar experience as most in getting all the parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went out today and played around on it. I lowered the armrests about 3/4cm and raised my saddle a little. I also worked on tucking my head. This felt strange but the noise from the air got quiet and I felt the air flow over my back. Hard to tell if it was faster but it felt like it was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont normally involve myself in critiqueing positions BUT some of the so called experts on this board need to get some facts correct. This position is too streched out. you either need to move your seat forward or move your cockpit back . Ouch this position is making my neck sore looking at it.

"Your limits are self imposed"
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Time Trial Position [ironroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...I guess you're talking about me...
that's funny...so you diss me as an expert (that I never claimed to be) and self appoint yourself...
to conclude that the position is too stretch because the elbows are not at 90 degrees???

that position is pretty good. It's not because elbows are not 90deg. that it's too stretched...maybe you've heard of individual differences?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
btw...if looking at this position makes your neck sore, maybe you want to post a picture of you on your computer so that we, experts, can critique your computer position ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Time Trial Position [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I use a similar position, but even more stretched out. That helps keep my back from going into paroxysms of joy during those short 112 mile bike legs. :) I tried the slam position at one point, but to no avail. I don't know if it's possible to put an old roadie on tri bike.....:) Maybe at his funeral?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that once he's off the trainer and hits the road, he'll naturally position himself further forward on the saddle bringing his elbows closer to that much desired 90 degree angle. Shortening the stem or moving the seat forward would likely lead to a cramped posture on raceday. A perfect position on the trainer isn't always right on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Time Trial Position [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"A perfect position on the trainer isn't always right on the road."

Very, very true. Once the wind starts pushing you back into your seat, etc., I oftern need to start fine tuning or re-doing what felt great in the basement on my rollers.

David K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You look fine... go out and ride it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your help.

Now that some of you mention it I do think that I slide forward on the saddle a little when out on the road. I don't like my thighs hitting the saddle wings. I do not get neck pain. The position is pretty comfortable but as a Time Trial is short I think I could give up a little comfort if necessary to go faster. But if you guys think the position is good then I can have my cake and eat it to. I am definitely going to work on tucking my head. The rest is about the engine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thought, what IS the "best" aerodynamically may not be good for long periods of time. I simply cannot keep my elbows in close enough to maintain what I'm sure is a better position. When I do hold that position for more than 5-10 minutes, my arms begin to get numb, because there is simply too much pressure put on my brachial plexus by my chest. OTOH, a head-down time trial position doesn't bother my neck at all, but, a more upright "roadie" position kills it within 45 minutes. Your position is certainly workable, go ride and see if you find yourself scooting forward, backward or neither. I was amazed when I first sat on a 76 degree Yaqui...it was the first time my seat wasn't hunting for the right place to sit, and I was as comfortable and powerful as I'd ever been before. Although the body can give good feedback when correctly positioned...the stopwatch is the real indicator.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I have made a few changes as suggested. I lowered my armrests and am working on keeping my head low as well.

http://img.villagephotos.com/...ICT0006-adjusted.jpg

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wanted to give you an update. I just raced my first Time Trial with the new position. I beat my best time at the Piru 20k TT by 1 minute. I found myself riding on the nose so I am going to move my saddle forward a little and put on a 1cm longer stem.

Thank you all for your help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bushido5,

I'm similarly no expert, but agree with ironroo's analysis. Too stretched out. As for Francois' get lower comment, it looks like you are about as low as you can go without beginning to compromise your breathing if you aren't already doing that.

Just out of curiosity, and being my normal a**hole self, why would you spend the kind of money you spent on your bike and then rely on this forum to perfect/critique your position? Why wouldn't you get a fitting from a professional fitter who was knowledgeable and experienced in balancing the power output, breathing, comfort (if an issue) and aerodynamics for maximum performance?

Just from my experience this is the best money one can spend and the cheapest speed you will ever purchase. If you are on the West (left) coast, get thee to PK Racing. If you are on the East (other left) coast, get thee to Paul Levine's Signature Cycles. If in the Midwest, try Bikesport or Continental Bike. If you are in none of these locations, Paul Levine or someone at PK Racing or Tom Demerly should be able to refer you to someone experienced and knowledgeable in advance fit in your area or near you. In most cases, a 300 mile radius or less.

Good luck.

Disclaimer: In the event this post offends you, I am sorry. This was never my intention. Jjust believe I am an a**hole who doesn't know anything about anything. I am lost and just wandering aimlessly through the SlowTwitch Forum trying to find enlightenment.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bushido5,

I think you will find that where ever you locate your saddle, you will have a tendency to creep forward towards the tip of your saddle when racing on the road. Moving the saddle further forward may help and may hurt your overall performance. The tendency to creep forward is you body seeking a position it is more comfortable in to perform the work you are asking it to perform. It does not take into consideration aerodynamics or power output. It may be addressing a breathing issue.

Do realize, that as you move your seat forward and keep the cockpit in the same position, you will have a tendency to elevate your back and increase your cross sectional surface area (increase drag). As your seat comes forward, you begin to open up your hip angle and make breathing easier. If your front end doesn't move forward with your seat, this breathing issue is maximized. If the front end moves with the seat, then the breathing may improve more modestly because you may not be opening the hip abdomen angle up as much as when the cockpit didn't move with the seat.

As for your updated position photo, you are definitely lower. To me, it looks like you are past beginning to restrict your breathing. If this is the case, the gains you make aerodynamically by getting lower will be more than offset by the loss you experience by not being able to sustain your maximum effort.

Now you may say, you proved me wrong by improving your best time by one minute. But I would ask if you happened to think that maybe you could have beaten it by two minutes if you could have been able to breath more fully? Did your position help you or limit you? How can you really tell?

A professional, knowledgeable and experience in advanced fit issues will get you where you need to be right away. From there, you are far more likely to only go downhill performance wise by altering you position.

Just a thought

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did Piru go? I am a regular there and had to miss out yesterday because I signed up for the pacific coast tri instead =(

what kind of time did you get?

Piru was good. Nice and cool and the wind didn't pick up until after the event. Seemed like a pretty good turn out as well. I rode a 30:43 which beat my PB by 1:03. I was rewarded with a hamstring cramp as I lifted my leg off the bike. It was locked and couldn't move for about 5 minutes. See ya out there next month.
Quote Reply