Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help to fit Mr Spinoza
Quote | Reply
I would be grateful if someone can advice me which bikes I should consider (Road and Triathlon). I look at the Slowman bike picker advice, but I am not certain which category I match. If it I will be doing my first full IM this summer. I am considering a road or a triathlon bike. These are my measurements:
Inseam 77
Trunk 64
Forearm 26
Arm 58
Thigh 41
Lower Leg 54
Sternal Notch 143

According to some calculations I should have 52cm -54cm bike, but I should have a top tube length of 58-59cm. But I don't see any frames that can fit me according to geometry charts.

It seems like I need a long top tube and a short seat tube. My overall height is 177cm and my weight is 78kg.

Please help me.

Baruch

Tom Demerly necessarily exists, Tom’s essence is existence Tom’s essence is perfect, and therefore Tom’s perfection implies that Tom must exist. Since Tom is infinite substance, no attribute which expresses the essence of substance can be denied of Tom . Every being has its being in Tom. Nothing can come into being or exist without Tom.
Last edited by: baruch spinoza: Feb 26, 05 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Help to fit Mr Spinoza [baruch spinoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your measurements are accurate (are you 6' tall with a 30" inseam?), you'd either want to go for a custom frame or see if you can find a compact frame (you might be able to find a frame with a longer top tube but without a proportionally long seat tube). Just out of curiosity, how did you measure your inseam?

As for road or triathlon bike, well, that kinda depends on you. If you already have a road bike that is in working order and you plan to keep it, I'd say go for a tri bike. Cervelo is known to have somewhat proportionally longer top tubes compared to some other manufacturers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good morning Tibbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Help to fit Mr Spinoza [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for helping me. I have checked again, and
yes, my inseam is 30". But my height is not 6'. It is less. I am 176cm. This is bordering 5'9 & 5'10.

I am thinking more in the Tri bike direction. I was only thinking in terms of road bike if a tri bike will not fit me, as I could not see any model that has the geometry that fits my proportions.

Thanks

Baruch

Tom Demerly necessarily exists, Tom’s essence is existence Tom’s essence is perfect, and therefore Tom’s perfection implies that Tom must exist. Since Tom is infinite substance, no attribute which expresses the essence of substance can be denied of Tom . Every being has its being in Tom. Nothing can come into being or exist without Tom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
welcome back mr.tibbs?

http://www.coachgordo.com/...x.php?showtopic=2574

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, that will make a big difference. Ultimately, you should go and get a fitting done to determine the optimal seat tube angle, top tube length, seat tube length, et cetera. Short of that, I'd just look for the frame with the longest top tube you can find in your size. I'd assume you ride about a 54cm or 55cm road frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, my current road bike is a Cannondale R900 and it is 54. I think that it fits me well. But when I looked at fit charts, it seems that I am suppose to have a longer top tube. I was trying to follow the slowman bike picker. I was not sure how to categorize my proportions. It seems that perhaps I have longer torso and short legs. Would you agree?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it sounds like you have a longish torso and shortish legs (I'm somewhat the same, just a bit taller). The first question you need to answer is What position do you want to ride? Do you want a steep seat tube angle or a shallow seat tube angle?

FWIW, I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam. I like a pretty compact cockpit, so I usually ride a 55.5cm top tube on a time trial bike. I don't like my seat tube angle to be very steep - right around 75 degrees. I'm able to generate much more power in this position. It also helps that it effectively gives me a little more top tube on a slightly smaller frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been training, racing and riding on a road bike. In the period before the race season, I normally install a profile carbon stryke bars. I don't find that I can stay in this position long enough. And when I climb, I find that I don't have where to hold as I prefer holding the base bars on really hard climbs. Since I will be doing a full ironman this summer, I decided that perhaps I should give a steep angle bike ago. But if I can’t be fitted I also considered the option of shorter clip-ons on my road bike setup. But ideally, I would like to go for a tri bike with a pursuit bar and bar-end shifters.

My LBS is more roadie oriented and I prefer to establish through your help which bikes I should shortlist. Then, I might travel further to a bike shop that fits for triathlon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would change up the order in which you plan to do this. I'd go to the bike shop that fits for triathlon first. Their fitting will help determine what bikes you should look at. Without knowing your fitting information, you might as well base your decision on looks alone for a frame choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr Spinach what is wrong with your Cervelo P3?

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Help to fit Mr Spinoza [yawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let it go yawg. The king is dead.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Help to fit Mr Spinoza [Jonathan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon, nice to see ya.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something is wrong with the calculations.

I'm 5'9" an I thought my was 30". Maybe it is a touch more, but I think not.

Anyway, I fit nicely (in a proper slowtwitch fashion - right angles and such) on a 52ish cm top tube. I have a 56 cm road bike that I tried to ride as a tri-bike and I ended up needing a profile fast forward post and a 90cm stem to make it work (ie a 52cm tri-bike works well).

I'm not thinking your proportions are terribly unusual. As someone on another forum pointed out, I think many, many people buy frames there are too big and end up with forward angled seat posts, really short stems, riding the nose of the saddle, or are way too stretched out. All of those symptoms point to a frame that is too big. Easy fix, get a smaller frame.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply