Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me with tri bike fit/selection
Quote | Reply
I went through a bike fit session and came out with the ff measurements. For reference I am 6'2" 185lbs. Learned I have long legs and short torso, so my options seem a bit more limited. To date I've done only sprints and olys using my roadie w/clip-ons. In 2010 will be doing half-IMs (prob 3) and training for IM distance in 2011, though still doing some sprint and olys mixed in.

The tri bike options we discussed were a P2 (which sounded like it would need a decent amount of changes to fit me), and the Cannondale Slice line (probably the Slice 5, saving the money off the Slice 4 to instead put into some race wheels for mid next season). My budget is $3K USD and under, and the Slice 5 sounds like it has a LOT of value for an MSRP of under $2200 (http://www3.cannondale.com/...usa/model-0RM5D.html).

Anything else I should be looking at? LBS where I was fitted is great, awesome reputation and very involved in local scene and with my tri club. The two options above are ones they carry. Others would mean not buying there which really wouldn't be preferred, but before making a decision I still want to know ultimately what else is out there. I've heard long legs/short torso works with Argon and Scott tri bikes, but just hearsay I guess :) Thoughts on options? Or do I go with the Slice 5 from LBS. Copy/paste of most of the measurements are below.

Thanks in advance!

seat tube length 58
seat tube angle 76.5
top tube length 54
head tube angle 73
crank arm length 175
saddle rail to TT 16.5
saddle top to BB 79.5
saddle to stem drop -5
saddle tip to C.BB -2.7
saddle tip to C.HB 47
stem angle -17
stem C to TT C 17
stem reach/length 8.2

-------------
My Stupid Blog
Gatorade EndurAlliance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with tri bike fit/selection [trikicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would heavily consider the Trek Equinox TTX, Scott Plasma, and Specialized Transition bikes.. All good options for short torso.. The Cervelo P2 is not particularly a good fit for shirt torso unless you are very agressively positioned. With experience you may find that your preferred riding style can trump your body dimensions when it comes to frame selection. But you have a good start..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on the specialized transition.

Quote | Reply
WOW - you are me. Same dimensions. Same situation.

Several folks also suggested to me to check out the transition and equinox ttx. Seems to be a great value right now.

BUT, I think that the Slice is my top choice as well. Keep us updated.

So, sounds like the Transition, TTX and Plasma should be considered along with the Slice. Thanks for the feedback...

I guess my second question (from the original post) is how do you weigh the value of buying from your LBS (where I got fitted, and where I'll have my bike serviced/fitted/adjusted) vs buying a bike elsewhere and bringing it in. If I buy a Slice from LBS, it's free fit adjustments for life, free tuneups once/twice a year for life, etc.

Is it worth getting a Transition/TTX/Plasma and not the Slice (keeping in mind these are the under $3K models), if it means not getting the same value from my LBS of choice?

-------------
My Stupid Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is your inseam length?

I am 6'2" and ride a 58 P2C and its fits well. my inseam is 35.5 which is a little on the long side. I do ride it pretty steep though, right at 80 degrees.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with tri bike fit/selection [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My inseam is 89cm (which is ~ 35in). But based on the rest of the measurements we did, it looked like there were quite a few adjustments necessary to fit me comfortably on a P2.

-------------
My Stupid Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone?? Buehler??? Feedback on going with what the LBS carries vs buying elsewhere to get a specific frame?

-------------
My Stupid Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Cannondale is right up there with Trek,Scott, Specialized and Cervelo etc and (most important) if the Slice is a great fit for you then I would go with it. I´m also thinking a personal and good relationship with your LBS can be of great value to you in the future when it comes to tune ups, repairs and over all maintenance, if you don't do this your self that is. But also when it comes to spare parts and further purchases I think the Slice will generate some great Returns On Investment for you.

Good luck!

Magnus
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with tri bike fit/selection [Magnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, nothing beats a good relationship with your lbs, especially if they are a good company. I live 30 minutes from RA Cycles and I'm going to try to build a relationship there even though they are more expensive then other places. They seem to have a lot of knowledge and spent a long time with me getting sized for a bike but didn't force me into walking out with a new frame.
Last edited by: prattzc: Oct 24, 09 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with tri bike fit/selection [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I visited the LBS today for some parts for my POS commuter bike and saw the 2010 Cdale Slice 5 hanging on the wall. Deal closer, that's gonna be the bike :)

I appreciate all the feedback. Once I buy it I'll let you all know how it turns out!

-------------
My Stupid Blog
Quote Reply