Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me with my noodle. V Brake aero ideas
Quote | Reply
Bought an old Trinity Composite for a good deal and I'm going over it trying to re-cable the thing in order to hide some of it from the wind.

This front mini V brake behind the fork has a cable and noodle just sticking out the side and it bothers me. I did some searching around and it doesn't seem like there's much out there to solve this. I was thinking maybe like a flexible noodle hidden behind the downtube or something... I dunno. Funny, they put the brake behind the fork for aerodynamics but then left this noodle hanging out there.

And yeah, I know, it doesn't really matter. I just like to tinker. I quite like the bike, but this cable is kinda killing the vibe.

Smart people, any ideas to offer?

Thanks!!

Last edited by: Jsiegrist: Jun 14, 23 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my noodle. V Brake aero ideas [Jsiegrist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is putting on a different fork a possibility?

If not, can you add a foil shaped cover over it similar to what people do with their hydration system straws?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you/are you willing to drill an entrance hole in the top tube and an exit hole in the side, bottom side of the downtube? Maybe route it internally as much as possible.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jsiegrist wrote:
Bought an old Trinity Composite for a good deal and I'm going over it trying to re-cable the thing in order to hide some of it from the wind.

This front mini V brake behind the fork has a cable and noodle just sticking out the side and it bothers me. I did some searching around and it doesn't seem like there's much out there to solve this. I was thinking maybe like a flexible noodle hidden behind the downtime or something... I dunno. Funny, they put the brake behind the fork for aerodynamics but then left this noodle hanging out there.

And yeah, I know, it doesn't really matter. I just like to tinker. I quite like the bike, but this cable is kinda killing the vibe.

Smart people, any ideas to offer?

Thanks!!

What about a housing in which to hide it that is substantially conforming to the side of the head/down/top tube junction. Something that looks like a smooth slight bulge on the side that has slots on the top and bottom for the cable to enter/exit?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my noodle. V Brake aero ideas [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
Is putting on a different fork a possibility?

If not, can you add a foil shaped cover over it similar to what people do with their hydration system straws?

New fork is possible I guess, then I'd need new brakes too. I like the cover idea better since buying a whole new setup for this seems like overkill probably. Thanks for the idea!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my noodle. V Brake aero ideas [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
can you/are you willing to drill an entrance hole in the top tube and an exit hole in the side, bottom side of the downtube? Maybe route it internally as much as possible.

Yeah, I plan on putting a couple holes in the top tube for a bento box anyway, and the three other cables (rear/front mech and rear brake) are already routed through the frame. I think I've got some rubber grommets laying around the shop from a previous project as well, so that could work. Any qualms about drilling a hole in the downtube though?

I appreciate the input!
Last edited by: Jsiegrist: Jun 14, 23 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my noodle. V Brake aero ideas [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

What about a housing in which to hide it that is substantially conforming to the side of the head/down/top tube junction. Something that looks like a smooth slight bulge on the side that has slots on the top and bottom for the cable to enter/exit?

I had considered something similar, but I wasn't sure if the cover would create more drag than the cable is currently. Though, I guess if I can get it to stick to the frame closely as you say, it would be better. While aesthetics is definitely at the heart of what I'm trying to do, making it less aero would be counter productive :) :) Thanks for the idea!
Last edited by: Jsiegrist: Jun 14, 23 8:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a combination of segmented cable housing so you can do a sharper bend (like this: https://jagwire.com/...elite-link-brake-kit ) and a 3D printed airfoil-ish cover you can put on the side of the frame with double sided tape or even glue on. I would be wary of drilling holes in the frame because it is so close to the head tube junction which is a very high stress area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Easiest" solution would probably be to recreate the nosecone setup from the early incarnations of these bikes -

...and just run the housing under the fairing, as per the original.

I've also seen/worked on a couple of these bikes that used a nokon style segmented housing and ran the housing under the fork crown, up through the steer tube and out the top. That definitely takes some messing about to get working right, and probably isn't possible with the stock fork and the bigger tires people are using these days. Definitely works with small(ish) tires, though!

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my noodle. V Brake aero ideas [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
Maybe a combination of segmented cable housing so you can do a sharper bend (like this: https://jagwire.com/...elite-link-brake-kit ) and a 3D printed airfoil-ish cover you can put on the side of the frame with double sided tape or even glue on. I would be wary of drilling holes in the frame because it is so close to the head tube junction which is a very high stress area.

I don’t know much about 3D printing, but you have given me an idea to try and make something out of heat moldable plastic. That segmented cable is awesome! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with my noodle. V Brake aero ideas [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
"Easiest" solution would probably be to recreate the nosecone setup from the early incarnations of these bikes -

...and just run the housing under the fairing, as per the original.

I've also seen/worked on a couple of these bikes that used a nokon style segmented housing and ran the housing under the fork crown, up through the steer tube and out the top. That definitely takes some messing about to get working right, and probably isn't possible with the stock fork and the bigger tires people are using these days. Definitely works with small(ish) tires, though!

This site is great, thanks for the suggestions! I had considered maybe running it up the fork, but haven’t found a good solution to getting the cable out the top cap. I have a 23mm on the front, so should be room I think. I’ll play around with it and see what I can come up with. The nose cone is probably the best solution but I’m not 100% sure I can make something that I’ll be happy with in the looks dept, but we’ll see. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had considered maybe running it up the fork, but haven’t found a good solution to getting the cable out the top cap. I have a 23mm on the front, so should be room I think. I’ll play around with it and see what I can come up with. The nose cone is probably the best solution but I’m not 100% sure I can make something that I’ll be happy with in the looks dept, but we’ll see. Thanks again!

You need one of these.

...and/or one of these.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply