Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me understand Nike’s shoe line that use 4% tech
Quote | Reply
Hi All, I know Nike is busy rolling out their next gen of the 4% shoes. It looks to me like the original 4% shoes are either sold out or being hawked for crazy amounts on eBay or for shoes that are used.

What shoes get you some of the 4% technology/gains? It looks like the Zoom Fly 3?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Nike’s shoe line that use 4% tech [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two big pieces of it that differ from a normal shoe are (i) the material of the midsole and (ii) the carbon plate. I think all of their shoes in the "Zoom" and "React" lines have the new midsole material (PEBAX) but I'm not certain of that. The Vaporfly is the only Nike shoe with the plate.

Edit: I guess the Zoom Fly 3 has a plate as well.
Last edited by: rosshm: Jun 29, 20 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Nike’s shoe line that use 4% tech [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vaporfly = Zoom X (PEBAX) + Carbon plate
Pegasus Turbo= some Zoom X no plate
Zoom Fly 3 = carbon plate + react foam, no pebax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have bought a couple of them and can confirm they are faster. However, I believe more r&d money goes into make them wear out fast than to make them faster. Expect then to last very little.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Nike’s shoe line that use 4% tech [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will go ahead and go against this. Not sure what type of lifespan you have on shoes but right now I have 378 miles on my OG Vaporfly and they are now used as a training shoe after over a year of racing and a year of training. I have 234 miles on my Flyknit Vaporfly and they are now used for tempo/speed workouts. I have my Next% that I bought last summer and have 2 races on them for 38 total miles. I usually only use a pair of shoes for one season of racing then they go to the daily shoe rotation. I plan on putting as many miles on all of these as I can before they blow up. So not sure if you are talking lifespan in race miles or running miles but getting a year of races out of a shoe this fast is a pretty good return on investment in my mind. Here are some other mileages out of the Nikes I have bought.

Nike Zoom Fly 1 (2 pairs): 356/366 miles
Nike Zoom Fly 3: 324 miles
Nike Peg Turbo 2: 156 miles

So these shoes can last a LONG time.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Nike’s shoe line that use 4% tech [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree both my Nike next percent are still like new and my zoom fly.
Users wear shoes at different rates not the materials.

If you come into the earth of the angle you will wear down rubber and foam much more then a even foot landing.

I got 400 km on the next percent.
I got 800 km on my vapor fly look like new.

THE SMELL FACTOR IS A DIFFERENT STORY!

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
I have bought a couple of them and can confirm they are faster. However, I believe more r&d money goes into make them wear out fast than to make them faster. Expect then to last very little.

This has not been my experience. I got 400km out of my first pair and probably could have gone longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
Hi All, I know Nike is busy rolling out their next gen of the 4% shoes. It looks to me like the original 4% shoes are either sold out or being hawked for crazy amounts on eBay or for shoes that are used.
What shoes get you some of the 4% technology/gains? It looks like the Zoom Fly 3?

Thanks
IMO you need to work out what show works best for you. I train in the Pegasus Turbo as mentioned above with Pebax 10mm drop and can get some of the 4% return with the 4% Pebax, carbon plate and 10mm drop. When I am getting down towards 4min/km I am definitely reaping some of the 4% and it’s a fast shoe as a heal striker.

I believe the Zoom Fly 3 more mimics the Next% someone may be able to correct me? The Next% is Pebax, carbon plate and 8mm drop but is more designed for a mid foot runner. I don’t dislike the shoe to run in but it just feels like a soft shoe but more stable than the 4%.

Unless I am running at pace in the 4% I don’t seem to get any of the claimed 4% by Nike and may as well just run in my Pegasus turbo that I love as a shoe and is way more stable than either of the Next% or 4%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay

The new Alphafly = Carbon plate/zoomx foam/AirPods

Next% and 4% carbon plate and zoomx foam, next% has more zoomx

Pegasus turbo is a strip of the zoomx on top of the react foam.

Zoomfly is a carbon plate on top of the react foam

Pegasus 37 -back half/midsole is react foam/front is the air zoom on the forefoot

Any of the react models are react foam.
Quote Reply