Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me structure my swim workouts
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get the best out of my swim workouts and I feel like I'm starting to plateau. A little background, 6 months ago I couldn't swim more than 200 yards without needing a rest. I can now swim 2100 yards continuous and do it in 33 minutes. I have been swimming 4 times a week, totaling about 10,000 yards. One workout a week is a long continuous swim (2000 yards), one is a speed workout, and the other two are something like 6 X 400 or 5 X 500. I definitely want and need to keep the long continuous swim. I also want to keep the speed workout, although I'm not sure what is best - 10 x 200 on 4:00 or 10 X 100 on 2:00. This morning I did 10 X 100 on 2:00, coming in at 1:18 give or take a second, and I felt like it was a great workout. I'm just not sure what the best speed workouts are. The final two workouts are the ones I'm not sure what to do with. I'm starting to feel like these workouts are turning into junk yardage and aren't helping me get faster. In the beginning just swimming and getting in the yards really helped, but I'm starting to feel like just putting in the yards is not going to make me faster now. I start my official training for the Spirit of Racine on March 7, at which time I'll start a 20 week plan that consists of 4 week blocks where I'll go 4, 4, 3 each week in the three disciplines, alternating which discipline gets the three each week, followed by a recovery week. So anyway, does my swim structure look good as it stands right now? Or is there some tweaking that I can do to it that will allow me to continue to improve? Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Help me structure my swim workouts [WIdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you've come a long way by really putting in the work - congratulations! I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds like you've got a ton of base already, but you need to mix in some variety. A couple of things that come to mind are: 1) add some pull sets and 2) start shortening up your rest. If you have paddles and a pull buoy, start using them. If you haven't already been doing this, make sure you start out a bit EZ so you don't go blow out a shoulder - paddles add alot of resistance. I like to throw in some longer pull sets, say 300-500m - it's a great way to build strength. Suggestion #2 is more for speed/aerobic conditioning. Try to do some descending intervals - either by swimming faster on a fixed interval or by shortening up the interval to force you to go faster to make it. For example: 5 x 100 on 1:30, where you'd try to go 1:28, 1:26, 1:25, 1:23, 1:20. From the workouts you described, I'd guess you're in a bit of a rut and it's time to shake things up a bit. If you're able to go 1:18's consistently for a 10 x 100 set on 2:00, you're getting too much rest. Try not to get more than 10 sec/100 rest. Here's the workout we did this a.m.: 500 choice warm-up; 400 pull on 6:30; 3 x 100 swim on 1:45; 200 pull on 3:00 (1:30 base vs. ~1:40 base for the 400); 100 swim HARD. Twice through on the 4-3-2-1. Cool down and go to work. Just my thoughts. See ya in Racine!

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply